• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If you need it and find it, buy it. Unless the price is WAY out of line, you do not get hurt too bad in the overall scope of things.

To some extent I do not get to excited about powder prices being "too high" If I need it and I find it, I buy it (at least within reason. For pistol powder most loads get you over 1000 cartridges per pound. If the powder is $10.00 too high, we are only talking a penny per shot. Still well within the price to still be a savings to reload. Heavy rifle cartridges may only get 100 loads per pound, so that is a dime more per cartridge loaded. Of course factory loads for 30-06 and heavier rounds is well over $1.00 per cartridge, many are over $2 each.

In the present situation, I am not going to pay $80 plus hazmat for a pound of titegroup. I did "pay too much" for a keg of Varget. It added 4 cents per round. I am not going to miss a match or a league night to save 4 cents per round, even if it is an 80 round match. I can save more than that by not 'super sizing" my fast food meals.

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Profire does get regular shipments. It may not always have what you need but that is getting better as supply catches up with demand. Andrew at Profire is really good at trying to get what you ask for. He did have a post that they are getting a large shipment on September 12. Might check with them.

The 1500 show a couple weeks ago was pretty good on powder prices if you looked around. I got 2 lbs. of Varget for $25 each. Some guys were still asking $35-40 per lb., They were not selling it though.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    All this advice is wonderful. Thank you guys. Thanks for the ad link also. It appears Ive scored some powder already.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Not sure if Gander is an option for you but after weeks of checking I picked up some Bullseye for $27 lb. A bit pricey but with the kids wanting to shoot, it makes for an excellent powder for .380 and I'm able tom make more.

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Gander Mountain Ft Wayne

I stopped into the newly remodeled Gander Mountain today in Ft. Wayne and the gun shop is impressive. However, they don't have ANY reloading materials. They never had much to begin with but now none.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    There is a small gun shop in Galveston. Galveston is a small town just north of Kokomo they always have powder in stock. Also the indy 1500 normally has quite a bit. I have had good results with accurate #5. Best of luck in your search.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Ok, thanks to you guys I checked out the gun club and spent like $200. lol. Thanks for all the advice.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    How were the choices of powder? Did they have an assortment of primers? I work up that way and need to stop by.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The choices werent so good when I got there. They just usually have a decent selection of everything when you catch them at a time when they got stuff in. I paid $18 dollars per pound of Blue Dot and $40 for 25lb of shot. I cant remember what I gave for the shotgun primers, but I got 2000 of those also. They didnt have the rifle and pistol primers I needed, but they did have powder I can use in my 9mm and my 20ga. They did, however, have some small rifle primers left. The guy said they would get in another powder shipment in 2 weeks and more primers in a month.

Top Bottom