• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Looking for thoughts on adding the powdered Gatorade mix to my food supplies. we drink it already but am looking for thoughts on this for a SHTF scenario. it could also be that I am bored right now.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I could see having some on hand, though not expecting it to add any real nutritional aspects to my diet. I see it more as a dessert, something to change the pace of water everyday, especially if you have kids. This being said, I think kool-aid would be a more cost-effective choice, especially if you're already storing sugar for SHTF.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    IMO, there should be some sort of flavoring powder in your stores it is a good change of pace from regular plain water.

I also recomend electrolite replacement powder of some sort in your stores. Do your research find what is best for you.

Sweetums

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lake County
    Shelf life is around 2-3 years depending on how "fresh" you can get it from a distributor. I stock the stuff for work. It does turn into a brick if you don't rotate it. :D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    It might say 2 years on the container, but I don't see why this stuff won't last indefinitely as long as the cap is on and you shake it up every couple months. I've had a container of "green" for probably 2 years now, and it's still good (aside from being GREEN, eww).

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Looking for thoughts on adding the powdered Gatorade mix to my food supplies. we drink it already but am looking for thoughts on this for a SHTF scenario. it could also be that I am bored right now.

True SHTF the biggest use for powdered drink mixes will be to make water palatable. If it’s what you already like then that’s what you want to save. Rotate your stock with what you are using and keep it cool, frozen or refrigerated to maintain longest life.

Mr. Gadsden

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I keep the large tub of dry gatorade in the pantry for hiking, running and workouts. Even though it might not be top shelf product for the purpose, it does replace electrolytes after strenuous activity.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I keep the large tub of dry gatorade in the pantry for hiking, running and workouts. Even though it might not be top shelf product for the purpose, it does replace electrolytes after strenuous activity.

No, it doesn't. If you look at the sodium content, it's got far below the necessary amount to have any meaningful replacement value. And you'd have to eat the entire can of powder to get the USRDA of potassium.

It gives you a little sugar, that's about it.

I'm not a hater, I mix it to give water a little flavor so I'll drink more, and as several have pointed out it can mask the tastes of water treatment. But it is not an effective electrolyte replacement and flavoring and bulk sugar can be had much cheaper.

Now, if one wants to truly replace electrolytes, Pedialyte is great.

Top Bottom