• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm fairly new to reloading and im wanting to branch out from the few powders I've been reloading with the last few months since I started reloading.. I was wanting to get some advice on what powders are good to reload in .357 mag.?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Depends??

The .357 has a wide range of great powder combinations..
    Cast bullets: Bullseye, W-W-231/Hodgdons HP-38,TiteGroup, Unique, etc.
    Jacketed bullets: Some of the same+ 2400,Hodgdon HS-6, H-110/W-W-296, etc.
    I use a lot of the load data from Hodgdon's Load Data web site..
    BTW: On your "Warm" jacketed bullets, it is VERY important to have a FIRM roll crimp, for complete performance+to avoid "Bullet Jump" on revolvers!! Bill.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I typically use 231 for light to medium loads, and 296 for full power loads. 2400 is more flexible than 296 in the medium to high range.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I used some of Alliant's Power Pistol in some hot jacketed loads for my .357. It really burns clean and I get a lot of velocity for not too high of pressures. It really works well for jacketed 9mm loads. It isn't so great for cast bullet loads. One other powder I've been using for mild cast bullet .357 loads is Alliant's American Select. It also is clean burning and is a good substitute for Alliant Bullseye. As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of Alliant smokeless powders.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    What are you going to shoot these out of? The reason I ask is that I load for my 18" lever using H4198 for a slower burn under a 158 grain jacketed soft point bullet.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I live too far north to use Blue Dot in anything other than the garden! ;) That stuff gets crazy in cold weather! And Alliant says that there are some calibers that they don't even want you using it in, the 357Mag with 125gr bullets is one place!

To the OP: What are you going to be shooting these out of? A handgun, long barreled or short? What kind of loads are you looking for? Screamers or powder puff. What bullets are you using? What weight? Lead, plated or jacketed?

All of those things matter before a skilled handloader will give a newbie advice on what powders to buy. So, a tad more information is needed before advice can be given! Help us help you! ;)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I used some of Alliant's Power Pistol in some hot jacketed loads for my .357. It really burns clean and I get a lot of velocity for not too high of pressures.

Huge +1! H110 is dirty no matter how I load it and TONS of unburned powder, lots of flash, MEH!

Another great one is Unique. Can use it for anything, run it warmer for cleanliness. My fav .357 load is a RimRock gas checked 158gr SWC hollow point (same component bullet they use for Buffalo Bore's FBI load), 6 grains of Unique, standard primer. 1000 fps out of a 4", hits hard, accurate, clean and low recoil. It's my general purpose SHTF, urban guide, field load. :rockwoot: I have used other lead SWC, checked and not and it's leading is minimal if non-existant.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I'm shooting with a 6 inch .357 gp100.I shoot lead 140gswc. Thanks for all advice folks! It sounds like ya'll know your powders. Can't wait to try some out.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Huge +1! H110 is dirty no matter how I load it and TONS of unburned powder, lots of flash, MEH!

Sounds like you havent pushed H110 hard enough yet. My initial experience with that powder is just as you said, loud, dirty, and LOTS of unburnt powder. When I upped the loads to near max, and really crimped the bullets in tight, things cleaned up, and the groups started pulling together. As far as the flash and noise, I believe that is just a trait of all H110 loads.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I load only H110 in my 357s. It burns perfectly clean in my firearms and achieves the best accuracy. I have tried many other powders and will not go back.

I shoot 17.8 gr. H110 and the 125gr. XTP HP for the best accuracy and best performance.

Terry

Top Bottom