• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The impact tools will strip screws a lot less than a conventional drill but, depending on what you're working on, may be deafening.

if only a bunch of shooters had something we could put in/on our ears to eliminate this problem. hmmmm...

thanks all for the info.
    i really dislike battery anything but sadly it looks like that is the only stuff companies sell now a days. :(

I used to feel this way. New LiIon batts mean no longer do I go to grab my tool after a couple weeks of not using it [heh heh] to find it dead. they really hold charges way longer than old NiCd, and provide high voltage longer (much flatter voltage as they die).

I've grown used to not tripping over power cords and experiencing voltage drop over long cords when not near a source, etc.

Where a corded drill shines is where you're really needing the power to apply continuously, like drilling deep holes in concrete or thick/treated lumber. Removing screws, you really only need that peak power when you're starting to back the screw out.

I seldom grab my corded drill any more.

2c

-rvb

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I dropped one of my Bosches on my foot a couple of days ago, and it hurts like a mother****ing *****.

I've gone to a lot of LiIon cordless, but I still have some cords and always will, considering the compound miter saws and things :):

LiIon or LiPoly are a world of difference from the NiCds. I come from the days where charging NiCds took some magic, and of course you had to treat them like princesses to get any life. Even the hydrides were high maintenance.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    if only a bunch of shooters had something we could put in/on our ears to eliminate this problem. hmmmm...

-rvb

This was back when I lived in IL before I figured out how to really make noise for fun.

Even with earpro a full-auto 7.62 running next to your head for 16 hours gets old. plus I'm good enough with my tools to make the bits last all day unlike some of the help we had... my wife got a kick out of mocking the frat guys and football players helping for community service hrs hauling panels around because they'd stop every 2nd or 3rd trip to whine about how hard the work was working in pairs... as the 100lb girl is carrying the panels past them solo (all about technique)

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Milwaukee 18 volt drill kit showed up a little while ago from Amazon.
    Is a BIG improvement over my 20 year old Dewalt 12 volt!

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'm still trying to get over the fact that someone was planning to extract 8000 3 inch screws BY HAND! Didn't know we had Popeye in our midst.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom