• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    Has anyone else had problems with PPU brass? I picked up some once fired brass (mixed HS) and the PPU is giving me fits resizing. Its very tight in the sizing die and wants to stick. I'm using alot of case lube but its bad enough that i may have to try annealing the cases first. Rem and Win brass are working fine. Any feedback is welcome. Dies are RCBS if that matters.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I don't reload - but I did a quick Google of folks having issues with PPU brass. It was in my mind that PPU belonged to a well known maker - and it does. It's Privi Partizan (I'm sure I butchered that)

It's evidently good stuff - especially whole / unfired ammo - in all calibers.

But - it also seems to be that their brass is especially hard; making it especially hard to reload.

So, you're not alone in your difficulties!

Perhaps keep up on the case-lube and work the actuation lever more firmly than you're used to?

Hopefully someone else will be along with more real-life experience.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    PPU brass uses a slightly different alloy that is, as you've discovered, harder than most of the commercial brands we are used to resizing. Aside from taking more horsepower to get the cases resized, they are perfectly reloadable. You may want to consider using separate data with them, though, as capacity may vary from other brands.

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    I'm planning to work up cast huntung loads at moderate velocities. I dont anticipate any over pressure issues but i may need to shoot them over a chrony to see if theres any notable differences.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    PPU brass uses a slightly different alloy that is, as you've discovered, harder than most of the commercial brands we are used to resizing. Aside from taking more horsepower to get the cases resized, they are perfectly reloadable. You may want to consider using separate data with them, though, as capacity may vary from other brands.

Would a water volume test be how you determine this?

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    Yup. I believe i have over annealed. I just did some reading up on the color change to watch for and i'm pretty sure i overdid it. My next question is can i work harden the brass back to usable? Worse case is i have to scrap 8 cases.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yup. I believe i have over annealed. I just did some reading up on the color change to watch for and i'm pretty sure i overdid it. My next question is can i work harden the brass back to usable? Worse case is i have to scrap 8 cases.

You have to scrap 8 cases...don't risk using them.

Annealing should ONLY occur in the neck/shoulder area. You seriously do not want to anneal any of the case body, although the very top of the case body isn't a big issue. The case HEAD should never be annealed in any way.

Get a candle and a wet towel. Hold the case halfway down the body while rotating it back and forth, with the junction of the neck and shoulder in the flame of the candle. When the case becomes too warm to hold, drop it on the wet towel. Try this with 5 cases. Allow them to cool, wipe the soot off, lube and resize. Most folks find this resolves the overly difficult sizing issue but prevents the case head or most of the body from being annealed.

I'll be curious to hear if this works for ya.

Top Bottom