• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Grandson #2 is my mini me. Loves shooting, can run an AR for 200 rounds faster than you think, he is 10. Been very strict for safety rules but cannot imagine him being hurt by my hands accidentally. Not sure I would survive.

Don

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The perpetrator at least came clean after all that time trying to point blame at the cruise line. No time served in the pen, but he has the rest of his life with what he did. He's also a convicted felon, now. I hope the law suit by the family is dismissed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The perpetrator at least came clean after all that time trying to point blame at the cruise line. No time served in the pen, but he has the rest of his life with what he did. He's also a convicted felon, now. I hope the law suit by the family is dismissed.
    "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety," he said."

Not so sure about the coming clean -- no admission of facts. I presume that is to keep the civil cases viable.
    I understand that this is done for legal purposes, etc, but I don't think I'd say came clean.

It's a tragedy all around.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety," he said."

Not so sure about the coming clean -- no admission of facts. I presume that is to keep the civil cases viable.
    I understand that this is done for legal purposes, etc, but I don't think I'd say came clean.

It's a tragedy all around.
    It is a tragedy and I have no personal connection with any parties. There is risk in everything we do. Anyone who knows about the Titanic knows that traveling on ships has its risks. People even get sick on cruise ships and die. The question is, "Did the ship open window present an attractive nuisance?" I don't see it that way. I don't follow how the grandfather can plead guilty to a crime involving the child's death and that not be considered an admission of wrongdoing. Greedy lawyers, who advertise on tv several times a day, are looking for that big case so they can buy a big ranch in Texas, or a private island...There is nothing wrong with trying to improve cruise ship safety, but I'm not buying the implication that a law suit is going to really change things. There are other and better ways to go about it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is a tragedy and I have no personal connection with any parties. There is risk in everything we do. Anyone who knows about the Titanic knows that traveling on ships has its risks. People even get sick on cruise ships and die. The question is, "Did the ship open window present an attractive nuisance?" I don't see it that way. I don't follow how the grandfather can plead guilty to a crime involving the child's death and that not be considered an admission of wrongdoing. Greedy lawyers, who advertise on tv several times a day, are looking for that big case so they can buy a big ranch in Texas, or a private island...There is nothing wrong with trying to improve cruise ship safety, but I'm not buying the implication that a law suit is going to really change things. There are other and better ways to go about it.
    If OJ Simpson taught me anything, it's that criminal and civil cases can have opposing outcomes.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The civil lawsuit would be all about money IMO. Hence my reasoning for saying he is not "coming clean". He took the deal, didn't admit anything and life goes on for him (at least physically) with no time served, etc, and yet the civil lawsuits likely continue to see what $ someone can get.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If OJ Simpson taught me anything, it's that criminal and civil cases can have opposing outcomes.
    If a person is found guilty of a crime, that can be used to establish liability is a civil suit for the same actions. However, as you learned, a "not guilty" verdict means only that there was not proof beyond a reasonable doubt. The standard of proof in a civil action is (usually) by a preponderance of the evidence. Put another way, a person can be more than 50% sure of something, but still not 90% convinced.

Of course, the real fun is when there are state and federal laws that cover the same actions- there, we can have 2 criminal prosecutions with completely different outcomes, both legally valid....but it is exceedingly rare.

Finally, as to this incident- the fact that the grandfather was a cause of the death does not mean the cruise line was not also a cause. Like most things in life, there can be multiple causes....I mean, in this case I don't think the cruise line has any liability, but theoretically even an admission by the grandfather would not end the civil suit.

SumtnFancy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    Finally, as to this incident- the fact that the grandfather was a cause of the death does not mean the cruise line was not also a cause. Like most things in life, there can be multiple causes....I mean, in this case I don't think the cruise line has any liability, but theoretically even an admission by the grandfather would not end the civil suit.
    This is where I have a problem with the legal double-speak. Wellllll, technicallllly..... he was at fault but there is still a chance for some money. What if that idiot held that girl out over the balcony of their cabin? Should there not be balconies or operable windows on a cruise ship? And what harm could that potentially cause passengers? The sliding windows on the front of the ships are incredibly enjoyable when you are relaxing up front. Why should that be taken away because someone else messed up? You could slip on the pool deck, kids drown in pools, people drown or die on excursions, the SHIPS HAVE MORGUES. People die. Royal Caribbean didnt lift your child up to an open window and drop her down 150' onto a concrete dock. You can't idiot-proof life and cases like this are only emboldening the snakes. Probably the same attorney helping to sue gorilla glue for that lovely lady gluing her hair.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a hard time believing there weren't any signs nearby warning not to reach anything outside the window.

When I took a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean a couple of years ago there were warning signs everywhere to help prevent those kinds of things from happening.

I also think we were warned about falling risks from railings, balconies and windows in the initial group meeting with the cruise line.

However I think my cruise was a couple of months after that fatal cruise.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom