• ...and so much more!
  • Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hello!
    First off: i do not have any experience with sport shooting but would like to start doing 3 gun. I was thinking practical shooting would be the first step.

Can you guys recommend a class close to fort wayne that caters to total noobs that want to start the sport?

ACT has a class sched in march but is. 3 hrs away from me. I will be attending this if i do not find a class close to me.

- would a compact handgun be sufficient for a beginners class?
    Ty!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    First, kudos to you for stepping out and getting into the incredibly fun world of action-shooting. It is a small step into a much bigger world and you'll be the better for the experience.

I would search for any IDPA shoot nearest you and simply contact the match director. Let them know you are a novice at the shooting games and they will be sure to pair you with some experienced shooters to help you along. The biggest thing is just being safe; keep your finger off of the trigger until your sites are on the target and watch that you don't muzzle yourself or any other shooter and keep the weapon pointed downrange at all times. It's the same basic rules for any firearm, it's just mixed in with the stress and fun of competition. If you can slow yourself down and be completely safe while learning the game, then you may not need an intro class. Any club worth their salt will welcome new shooters with open arms and get them into the squad to help them get their feet wet in a safe and positive environment.

As far as a compact being good, it will serve you well until you decide what changes to make after shooting a few matches. I have a few friends that shoot compacts in IDPA since that is what they tend to carry in the real world. I shoot full-size pistols but I also carry those same full-sized guns myself.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Contact HandK on this site. He teaches the best practical course I have ever had the pleasure of taking. He is in southern Michigan. Not far from the state border.

CAMO66

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Effingham, IL.
    Look into USPSA also. If you're looking at competitive shooting I would not recommend a compact pistol. Yes, you can try it but it's putting you at a disavantage.(i.e. short sight radius, low cap mags, hard for follow up shots.) I don't want to discourage you but at the same time I would like to see your 1st time to be fun.(AND IT WILL BE FUN)
    I'm not saying don't do it if that's all you have, just remember what I said about the disavantages of a small pistol.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Hello!
    First off: i do not have any experience with sport shooting but would like to start doing 3 gun. I was thinking practical shooting would be the first step.

Can you guys recommend a class close to fort wayne that caters to total noobs that want to start the sport?

ACT has a class sched in march but is. 3 hrs away from me. I will be attending this if i do not find a class close to me.

- would a compact handgun be sufficient for a beginners class?
    Ty!

I started about 3 years ago with an ACT class. I recommend that you make the drive. Coach and Rhino will make it worth your time. Hell I drive to Warsaw once a month to shoot a match.:dunno:
    This class will shorten your learning curve a bunch and get rid of some of those questions that give you the willy's when going to your first match.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Look into USPSA also. If you're looking at competitive shooting I would not recommend a compact pistol. Yes, you can try it but it's putting you at a disavantage.(i.e. short sight radius, low cap mags, hard for follow up shots.) I don't want to discourage you but at the same time I would like to see your 1st time to be fun.(AND IT WILL BE FUN)
    I'm not saying don't do it if that's all you have, just remember what I said about the disavantages of a small pistol.

That is what Chaney says about your pistol :hijack:

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    There is no super secret that a class will teach you about how to start 3 gun or any competition. Grab your guns and gear and head out to a match ASAP. If you not comfortable running around with your guns yet, don't! Take it slow, ask questions and have fun. Everyone at the match has been In your shoes so most people are more than willing to help. Heck at our local matches we often share gear, guns and ammo because there is a lot of stuff you can acquire for 3 gun and almost nobody has it all, EVER. Lol! Holler if you have any questions.

Oh and there are tons of YouTube videos of guys shooting matches if you want to get a better idea of what goes on.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    There is no super secret that a class will teach you about how to start 3 gun or any competition. Grab your guns and gear and head out to a match ASAP. If you not comfortable running around with your guns yet, don't! Take it slow, ask questions and have fun. Everyone at the match has been In your shoes so most people are more than willing to help. Heck at our local matches we often share gear, guns and ammo because there is a lot of stuff you can acquire for 3 gun and almost nobody has it all, EVER. Lol! Holler if you have any questions.

Oh and there are tons of YouTube videos of guys shooting matches if you want to get a better idea of what goes on.

A class or a little training can save learning from trial and error. It can also save money in the long run by avoiding buying gear and they buying the right gear. It can go a long way to promoting safety as well. Plus if there is some coaching on technique it can be great for a newbie as well.

A class is not required but it can have many advantages. Lots of people have learned to swim by just being thrown into deep water, but that does not mean it is best.

Jesse Tischauser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Oklahoma
    A class or a little training can save learning from trial and error. It can also save money in the long run by avoiding buying gear and they buying the right gear. It can go a long way to promoting safety as well. Plus if there is some coaching on technique it can be great for a newbie as well.

A class is not required but it can have many advantages. Lots of people have learned to swim by just being thrown into deep water, but that does not mean it is best.

I couldn't agree more. I take 3-4 classes per year myself.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Crydaddy,

I’ve been teaching classes through Precision Arms of Indiana(Columbia City).I’m always interested in helping local people get into the shooting sports. Locallymost of what you will find are USPSA (United States Practical ShootingAssociation) matches so almost any modern handgun in a caliber 9mm or larger islegal to use. I’ve used my Glock 26 at the FWAPS (Fort Wayne Area PracticalShooters) match so yes it can be done.

As to the debate about training being worthwhile, it dependson what you want. To participate in any of the practical shooting sports allyou really need is a good attitude and an elementary knowledge of the safetyrules (some would say the good attitude is optional). If your goal is toimprove your shooting that is where training really shines.

If you’re looking for competition training in Fort Wayne shoot me a PM.

Dave Rose

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    +1 to Dave. Shooting sports are really fun. Many people are there to help.

As an RO (NPCCC) I really enjoy teaching at the local level. When I have a new shooter in my squad its my opportunity to make their experience safe, fun, and exciting. Its a challenge to run a squad and try to take care of a new shooter however, its my mission in life (so it seems). I seem to attract the new shooters for some reason. Positive feedback, kick in the head when needed, and a happy ending.

In the end its all about safe gun handling to start. After that its marksmanship and stage planning.

I plan to shoot at Ft Wayne more in 2012. See you there.

-joe

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    where can i get started in the Terre Haute area?​
    I have and instructional League at Riley on the 17th of March and a Competition 101 class on the 31st. There are details to both in the shooting sports forum, or send me and email and I will get you the details.

Top Bottom