• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gunslinger, tried to PM you, your box is full.

That was you that called me earlier about this, right?

Sorry, my brain was bogged down, and my mind was on tax problems.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Strokes (especially minor ones TIA's transient ischemic attack) are not that all uncommon, and recovery time depends on a couple factors. Severity and time to initial treatment are critical, but Doc can explain it much better than I can.

I'm praying it's just a very minor event. Here's a link to a great source for stroke info: National Stroke Association | Stroke.org

I wonder when he will be able to travel or if he will need transported professionally.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Recovery time varies depending on the severity of the stroke. My dad had a fairly minor stroke 24 years ago. It affected his memory somewhat and fine motor skills. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and had no rehab as I recall other than to use a stress ball, practice writing and similar activities to get his fingers working again. Two years ago, he had a more serious stroke that required two weeks in the hospital and another four weeks at an inpatient rehab facility followed by rehab at home. It is amazing to know how the last stroke impacted him and to see how well he is doing today.

Cognitive function can be tested using chemical tests (from what I found online) and if affected, involves issues with understanding and processing thoughts. A lack of cognitive issues is good. Praying he is able to communicate verbally so they will know better what his status is. We also need to pray that the treatment he is receiving will prevent additional strokes as more can follow the initial event and make the situation more serious.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Recovery time varies depending on the severity of the stroke. My dad had a fairly minor stroke 24 years ago. It affected his memory somewhat and fine motor skills. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and had no rehab as I recall other than to use a stress ball, practice writing and similar activities to get his fingers working again. Two years ago, he had a more serious stroke that required two weeks in the hospital and another four weeks at an inpatient rehab facility followed by rehab at home. It is amazing to know how the last stroke impacted him and to see how well he is doing today.

Cognitive function can be tested using chemical tests (from what I found online) and if affected, involves issues with understanding and processing thoughts. A lack of cognitive issues is good. Praying he is able to communicate verbally so they will know better what his status is. We also need to pray that the treatment he is receiving will prevent additional strokes as more can follow the initial event and make the situation more serious.

Just concerned how they will get home.
    She is all alone out there right now.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Just concerned how they will get home.
    She is all alone out there right now.

I understand....this has been weighing on my mind all day. It is horrible this had to happen at all, but so much more complicated that it happened so far from home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand....this has been weighing on my mind all day. It is horrible this had to happen at all, but so much more complicated that it happened so far from home.

I sent a simple text asking she gets with me when she knows more. I am sure she is exhausted.
    I will explain across the street.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I sent a simple text asking she gets with me when she knows more. I am sure she is exhausted.
    I will explain across the street.

I'm sure she is. Between traveling and the stress of this happening, I hope she is able to get a some rest.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Do you know if it's a common thing?
    I don't know anything about strokes and how much time it takes to recover from one.

If they do Hypothermia protocol on him he will be sedated for 24 hr's and then it is a waiting game. Not sure what treatment he is getting. It depends on the stroke and the length of time between the stroke and the time they can start treatment. The faster the better.

Top Bottom