• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, if you have not registered as a bone marrow donor, its incredibly easy and painless. And free. And it could save the life of someone like OP's MiL. You request a kit, they send a cheek swab kit, and you return the swab. (they do politely ask for a donation with the sample return, but it is not required. )

https://bethematch.org/

IF they find you are a match for someone, its not as brutal as it used to be to donate marrow. Its not always an outpatient invasive operation. In most cases, you can donate via what amounts to essentially an extended blood donation. You dont go under the knife except in rare donation cases. You essentially "donate blood" for half a day as you read, watch movies, do crosswords, etc. while the machine works pumping blood in and out of your arm. Your life isnt disrupted much unless you do something super duper strenuous like being a college or pro football player. (that takes you out of the game for a season) Most people are back to work between 1 and 7 days.

And if you are an ethnic minority, your registration is desperately needed. Apparently marrow donation is a "white person thing" (mostly) and patients are most likely to match others in their same race. And I think I read some races seldom match outside their race. So the smaller minority you belong to, the more urgent your registration is needed. (including those of Jewish descent)

I received word this AM that an old friend of mine about my age was admitted to the hospital yesterday with a usually treatable form of Leukemia. Hopefully he finds the donor he needs. Which prompted me to add this to the thread as I thought given both OP's MiL and my buddy's need for marrow, it would be good to get the word out as many people dont realize the need, as well as just how easy it is to join and donate.

And given the nature of this thread, if you have any :tinfoil: comments re sending your DNA off, please keep them to yourself and just dont register. Im pretty sure nobody here is in the mood to hear it. I know I'm not.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    ***Update 2/10/2020

So far, so good. The MIL had her numbers increase for the 2nd straight day. She still has an appetite and is doing her walking. They won't do another biopsy for a couple weeks. The worst side effect from the medication is night sweats, but that was expected.

The bad news, the kid caught a bug, and they can't visit her in the hospital and then come home. :rolleyes: They are going to try to return home tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Today's text from the wife:

20200226-155601.jpg

I'd like to thank you all! Happy day!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    If it helps anyone, for her particular situation, Vyxeos was the "street" name of the chemo.
    Dawnorubicn cytatmbine is the actual name of the drug.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Unfortunately, cancer struck again. I really despise that disease! My mother-in-law passed this morning around 2 a.m. Here’s the story:

It’s been a roller coaster-ride for her and our family since she was diagnosed with bone marrow in the summer of 2017. She handled it really well through the end of last year. Sure, 7 days of shots per month left her a bit drained, but she was still able to experience life - albeit a few pounds lighter - yet always with a full head of hair. Her blood levels varied and there were some transfusions, overnights at the hospital, etc., but she pushed on valiantly and never ever complained. She even helped my FIL through his 5-bypass heart surgery and recovery at the end of the year and still hosted all of us all at the holidays. What a warrior and servant!

2020 started with the possibility of treatments at home with pills vs shots in the hospital. This was encouraging! However, a biopsy exposed something new - Acute Myeloid Leukemia. She was off to Mary Greeley Hospital in Ames, IA, for what we hoped was just 5 to 7 days of treatment then a recovery at home. Unfortunately, she became stuck on the 5th floor for nearly the entire month. We all made a lot of trips to Ames.

She was eventually released to return home in early February. She had been feeling really good and her energy was inspiring. However, biopsy results indicated the first wave of treatments didn’t take. Her options were to either try something more aggressive or . . . She was not ready to give in! She went back to the hospital to continue her battle.

February treatments took a bit more of a toll on her. But then a biopsy came back showing she was clear of the Luekemia (although, she still had bone marrow cancer). We were dancing, drinking wine, and celebrating! Now she just needed get the depleted blood levels back up to be released from the hospital. The levels eventually came back, slowly but surely, but our visits were abruptly halted with Covid -19 restrictions. Ugh. She persevered, levels stabilized, and she was sent home on Monday, March 23. Our prayers were being answered!

It didn’t last long, though. God had a different plan. She arrived home and started to deteriorate almost immediately. The next biopsy results came 2 days later and they confirmed the Luekemia had returned. She was admitted to hospice that evening.

Covid-19 limited visitors in her hospice room to 2 per day. Fortunately, we each had time to spend with her at her bedside - plus there were doors in her room that opened to a patio where we could gather and chat through the screen. She even worked in a happy hour with her buddies!

She was pretty exhausted by last Sunday, but she was still talking with us. She slept much of Monday, and interacted with us periodically when she would wake up. We even hosted 1 more happy hour on the patio with her friends while her grandson serenaded here with his guitar. Her granddaughter, and entertainer trapped on a cruise ship, also sent some recordings of her and her cast - singing Love Me Tender and I Can’t Help Falling in Love with You. She loved Elvis.

Her communication then became difficult and infrequent on Tuesday. With the visitor restrictions, I asked my wife to hand her a text I had written out as my goodbye to her. Weakend, she sent me a dictated reply back. I did ask one favor that after she passes through those pearly gates, find where you sign up to be my son's Guardian Angel. She simply rested the rest of the week. She quietly passed away early this morning. Fortunately, everyone met with her and were able to say their piece.

It had been quite a journey for her. We have valued and appreciated every moment we had with her while she fought cancer. Her presence was a gift from God. Our loss is now heaven’s gain.

Thank you for all the love, comfort and support through this time. We are truly blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. Peace and love be with all of you.

Now the funeral rules with COVID-19 are the next hurdle as we meet figuring out all the arrangements.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    So sorry to hear of your loss. We should all be so lucky to spend our final days surrounded by family and friends.

I went through a similar experience with my mother-in-law a few years ago so I understand what you and your wife are going through. Prayers to your family.

Top Bottom