Pre-Ban AR-15 versus Post-Ban AR-15 differences?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    So what I am attempting to understand is what, if any, is the difference in purchasing a pre-ban AR-15 versus purchasing a post-ban AR-15? I understand that to "convert" a pre-ban AR15 may be a bit simpler due to the machining of the lower, but is there anything legally that makes a pre-ban AR-15 more desirable?

Thanks,

Gunner

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Convert to what? The only way for the average citizen to convert an AR-15 rifle to full-auto today is with a registered drop-in auto sear or lightning link (you can't install a USGI auto sear). Pre-ban and post-ban status will have no effect on installing a RDIAS or RLL. I'd venture to guess that most current-manufacture AR-15 rifles have "low shelf" lowers, which are the desirable ones.

I believe that the only state where pre-ban and post-ban designations mean anything anymore in regards to AR-15 rifles is Massachusetts.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd venture to guess that most current-manufacture AR-15 rifles have "low shelf" lowers, which are the desirable ones.

Is this the difference? And if so, what does this mean? I too would like to know the difference(s) between pre-ban and post-ban AR-15's.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The ONLY real difference is the date of manufacture and therefore the accessories or "evil features" they are allowed to have according to the expired federal AWB of the Clinton era. Some states including Mass, Cali, NJ among others added their own AWB to their state laws.

Some allow pre-ban (1994) guns in their original evil configurations, I believe some like NJ don't allow them at all.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    right or wrong, my understanding is that exempting select fire weapons (which is irrelevant to the ban in question), the only difference is minor like bayonet lug, collapsible stock, etc.

I bought a post ban AR several years ago after the ban expired. It had a collapsible style stock but it was really fixed. I had that problem solved in 5 minutes. I still dont have a bayonet lug :dunno: but I really dont care, and could probably remedy that situation fairly easily if I really wanted to.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Federal Assault Weapons Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the above link - the Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 prohibited the manufacture of weapons meeting certain criteria for the period of the ban (which was set to sunset in 10 years and was not renewed). Weapons in existence before the ban were grandfathered, and thus you got the terms pre- and post- ban.

The criteria of course, was:

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines holding more than 10 rounds and two or more of the following:
    1. Folding or telescoping stock
    2. Pistol grip
    3. Bayonet mount
    4. Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
    5. Grenade launcher

Most AR manufacturers kept only the pistol grip from the list, and like has been said made the collapsible looking stock actually fixed, removed the bayonet lug, and did away with a flash suppressor and threaded barrel.

When the ban did sunset in 2004, all that became ok again (federally). So guns were made with those features again. But some states continue to infringe upon the rights of their subjects (citizens) and so they may need to continue to make the distinction of those guns grandfathered from and built before the original federal ban.

You certainly don't have to change uppers to add those features. I had all of ARs threaded that weren't already and a flash suppressor added once the federal ban went away. I don't care much if there's a bayonet lug on them. And a collapsible stock is enough to add.

As for the machining of the lower - some lower manufacturers used dimensions that would prevent the ability to converting the gun to full auto or select fire. Colt put a sear block in some of theirs, and may still (though I'm not sure about that).

More info on this:

High and low shelf? - AR15.Com Archive

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Most AR manufacturers kept only the pistol grip from the list, and like has been said made the collapsible looking stock actually fixed, removed the bayonet lug, and did away with a flash suppressor and threaded barrel."

This is the primary difference that you will see in rifles that are on the rack at a shop. When I rebarreled a "pre ban" AR, I put on an unthreaded barrel and a sight that didn't have a bayonet lug. The 7.7 twist Krieger barrel shoots very accurately out to 600 yards. Since I removed two of those "evil" features from my rifle, shouldn't everyone feel a lot safer?

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    There are really 3 categories of "ban" firearms:

1) Pre-ban made before 1994.
    2) Mid-ban made from 1994 to 2004
    3) Post-ban made after 2004

During the ban, there was that silly criteria that made a gun so much more dangerous. I mean people are getting killed all the time by bayonet mounts and pistol grips but since there was a limit on these deadly feature, most makers kept the pistol grip. After 2004, however, these feature didn't matter in most places so they are often available on the gun.

It's my understanding, but I'm not familiar enough with the workings to prove it, that a pre-ban AR rifle, could be converted to fully automatic with the use of a "drop in auto-sear" but that any AR made since 1994 had to be designed and made such that a conversion using such a part was not possible. That doesn't mean it's lawful to convert a pre-ban AR to full-auto, just that it's technically possible using a simple part-exchange.

I have a pre-ban (1980s vintage) Colt AR-15 A2 and I can tell you that it's semi-auto only and you would be hard pressed to look at it and figure out that it's not exactly the same as another AR rifle. It looks, works, and acts the same in my opinion.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    There are really 3 categories of "ban" firearms:

1) Pre-ban made before 1994.
    2) Mid-ban made from 1994 to 2004
    3) Post-ban made after 2004

During the ban, there was that silly criteria that made a gun so much more dangerous. I mean people are getting killed all the time by bayonet mounts and pistol grips but since there was a limit on these deadly feature, most makers kept the pistol grip. After 2004, however, these feature didn't matter in most places so they are often available on the gun.

It's my understanding, but I'm not familiar enough with the workings to prove it, that a pre-ban AR rifle, could be converted to fully automatic with the use of a "drop in auto-sear" but that any AR made since 1994 had to be designed and made such that a conversion using such a part was not possible. That doesn't mean it's lawful to convert a pre-ban AR to full-auto, just that it's technically possible using a simple part-exchange.

I have a pre-ban (1980s vintage) Colt AR-15 A2 and I can tell you that it's semi-auto only and you would be hard pressed to look at it and figure out that it's not exactly the same as another AR rifle. It looks, works, and acts the same in my opinion.

This is not the case. Most lowers made today can accept a drop-in sear. There are a few exceptions. Colt leaves some material unmilled in that location to make it harder to use a drop-in sear. ALL AR's have to have material left unmilled so that they can't accept a GI sear (the one in a real M16) without extra milling work. Without the extra material, it would simply take a drill bit and some parts to convert to full auto.

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    so I am also trying to understand fully...if I have a post ban AR can I legally make the gun a full auto?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Difference in Indiana:

pre-ban = more money spent into the wind

post ban = same gun better price and a warranty (maybe even more options since some Preban colts didn't have bayonet lugs, Ect)

no no you cannot legally convert your Preban into a machine gun unless you like jail or are a licensed manufacturer. You can do the same with a post ban but the same applies.

indianabob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    so the sear is what is tracked correct? if I purchased legally a sear can that be put into any AR that would accept it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    so the sear is what is tracked correct? if I purchased legally a sear can that be put into any AR that would accept it?

A registered lightning link I think you could do that wit if you had the tax stamp. If your serious about this there are a few dealers on here that would help you. They can even find you a registered machine gun. Your options are only limited by your budget.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am serious and would like to know costs, have wanted to pursue for a long time. if any dealers are reading this please private message me or send email to bobbrumley1@hotmail.com.
    Send a PM to Corey, username: Curraheeguns
    he will set you right up.

i know there's probably more dealers that can help you but I know for sure that Corey handles machine guns. So I'm not trying to leave anyone out intentionally.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom