• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    I have all the parts ordered and on hand, except for scope mount and optics.

Lower:
    Spikes Tactical lower. Spider with bullet pictograms
    Geissele SSA-E trigger
    Ergo F93 pro stock
    JP tuned and polished extra power carbine buffer spring
    Spikes Tactical T2 buffer
    JP lower parts kit, minus trigger group
    Ergo grip w/ palm shelf

Upper:
    Spikes Tactical upper
    BCM 20in SAM-R 410 stainless steel heavy barrel, 1:8 twist
    *BCM low profile gas block*. This has been changed to a JP adjustable low profile gas block
    BCM rifle length gas tube
    BCM 1.5 Compensator
    Midwest Industries 15 in gen2 SS Series
    Midwest Industries hand grip panels
    Spikes Tactical BCG
    Spikes Tactical Charging handle
    *Magpul MBUS front and rear *. Thinking of changing this to a 45 degree offset irons
    Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9 Firedot

Other:
    Magpul MS3 sling
    Harris 9-13 in pivot bipod
    Magpul 20 round - 2ea

Thoughts on build?? Everything has been purchased and awaiting assembly, except potential offset iron sights

attachment.php

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That is not the best option in optics for a 3 gun rifle. If you havent ordered the scope and mount Id order something else.

If you go with a 1-4 you can skip the offset irons, and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    I realized a little late that this is not the best magnification option for 3 gun primary use. But this is also being built so I can practice longer distance shooting (100-400 yds) for cheaper than my match grade .308 ammo. I figured I could leave it at 3X and then alternate to iron offsets for the time being, till I can afford another scope with a true 1X power. I got a great deal on the Leupold VX-R though. 350 bucks off including mount.

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Other changes I am contemplating is getting an extended tactical bolt release. I know Magpul makes a decent one. Maybe a custom ejection cover to personalize it.

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I believe you will find that the 20 inch will be a tad long on some stages in 3 gun. It looks like its pretty heavy as well, you may get tired of lugging that thing around.

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Will have to weight and see. We could start an over and under contest, lol. I contact Leupold to switch my order to the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4X20mm. Winning, thanks for the insight ingo

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Got a question fellows. Should I mount my Magpul MBUS normally, put them on 45 degree offset mounts, or get 45 degree offset sights such as KACs? Let me know what you think

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If it were me, and I had a 1.25-4 I wouldnt mount the MBUS's at all with the intentions of useing them in 3 gun. If I did mount them it would be for optic failure, and I would put the scope in a quality QD mount, and pop it off if it breaks.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good work going with a nice trigger from the beginning.

I agree, a 20 inch heavy barrel might prove tiresome. As far as the optic / sights, I just use an Aimpoint (1x), no irons. I take it out to 300 yards and it's served me well. I assume the bipod will be for non-3gun shooting?

If I were you, I'd just start a second build!

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    yup the bipod will prolly only be put on with bench shooting or when i am in the field. Think my wife will want me to wait a while for another build. This one has been kinda pricey.

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Jonny-I guess I can always make more tomorrow. But my buddy says, "dont press your luck."

cjfarmer- i am interested in the tactical optic division. But I am going to keep an open mind till I observe/participate in some matches.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    Zmadren,
    i just put together a similar build. Bought a PRI 3-gun 18" upper in FDE with their proprietary muzzle brake. PEPR scope mount, with a Vortex PST 1-4X24. Geissele 3 gun trigger. Magpul UBR with a Spikes ST2.
    Here's the upper next to my CMMG 22 16" upper.

Then the finished rifle at the range.

Vortex Reticle

Then I was working on load developments, 77grn Nosler BTHP, 69grn Winchester match, and 45grn Winchester JHP. Pretty sure I'll go with 65-69grn projectiles. All shot at 50yards, with 5 shot groups.

77grn

69grn

45grn

Hope it's helpful!

Top Bottom