• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    PRECISION RIFLE COMPETITION at Hillside Shooting Sports

WHEN: SATURDAY MAY 19TH, 2012

START TIME: 9:00AM REGISTRATION @ HSS CLUBHOUSE - 10:00AM MEETING @ HSS RIFLE RANGE

WHERE: HILLSIDE SHOOTING SPORTS - 7870 North Mayne Road, Roanoke, Indiana 46783

COMPETITION COST: $25.00 per shooter. Fees include all targets needed for the competition and an ALL-DAY Rifle & Pistol Range Pass. *** see website for more event info, rules and registration form ***

This competition is great for BEGINNERS to ADVANCED level shooters. Prizes will be awarded to the TOP shooters in Stage 1 and Stage 2. Lunch will be available for purchase.

EVENT SPONSORS: SNIPERCO and HILLSIDE SHOOTING SPORTS

Course of Fire: 80 rounds + 40 optional sighters = 120 rounds

Stage 1
    100 yards - 10 rounds at SR3C targets for score
    200 yards - 10 rounds at SR3C targets for score
    200 yards - 10 rounds at SR3C targets for score
    300 yards - 10 rounds at SR3C targets for score

Stage 2
    400 yards - 10 rounds at 8" Steel Target - hit or miss + cold bore bonus*
    600 yards - 10 rounds at 12" Steel Target - hit or miss + cold bore bonus*
    600 yards - 10 rounds at 12" Steel Target - hit or miss + cold bore bonus*
    1000 yards - 10 rounds at 20" Steel Target - hit or miss + cold bore bonus*

*A COLD BORE Bonus worth 5 bonus points is available for the shooters first shots made per round in Stage 2. The shooter must hit the steel target on their FIRST SHOT at that distance with no sighters or practice shots prior to shooting for the COLD BORE bonus.

:ar15:

Other Upcoming Events
    June 9 = Steel Pistol Challenge
    June 16 = HSS Sniper Match - 1000 Yards
    June 23 = Little River 3GUN

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yep, its off. 80rounds plus 60 sighters.

How do the sighters work w/ a cold bore bonus?

also, can you post a link to this location?

are the stages timed events? what would the tie breaker be?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    all competition rules are listed on our webpage... including cold bore rules and stage times as well as tie breaker info...

*A COLD BORE Bonus worth 5 bonus points is available for the shooters first shots made per round in Stage 2. The shooter must hit the steel target on their FIRST SHOT at that distance with no sighters or practice shots prior to shooting for the COLD BORE bonus.

Sorry about the round count....... round count should be 80 rounds plus 40 optional sighters = 120 rounds total ....

Competition and Range can be found at: Hillside Shooting Sports - Welcome to Hillside Shooting Sports

Competition info: http://www.hillsideshootingsports.com/downloads/HSS Precision Rifle Competition.pdf

Yep, its off. 80rounds plus 60 sighters.

How do the sighters work w/ a cold bore bonus?

also, can you post a link to this location?

are the stages timed events? what would the tie breaker be?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    The Little River 3GUN is set for June 23... i will be posting more information on the 3GUN event next week. We are setting up a few stages this weekend to shoot them and see how they go.. we should have the stages set and the advertising flyer done soon...

I just checked our facebook page and the dates match what is on our website.. does it show up as June 2nd when you look at it??? i just want to make sure that our facebook page is correct... thanks for letting me know..

Event and Match Information

May 19 = Precision Rifle Competition (pdf)
    May 26 = NRA Basic Pistol Class
    June 9 = Steel Pistol Challenge
    June 16 = HSS Sniper Match - 1000 Yards (jpg)
    June 23 = Little River 3GUN Match
    June 30 = NRA Basic Pistol Class

Your facebook page listed a june 2nd 3gun match. Any more info on that?

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    HSS is a very nice facility and the staff are top notch. Great bunch of guys. Not to mention they probably recommend you take a seat and sit around to shoot the breeze in the club house.

I'm hoping I can make it for this little competition. Not saying I'm going to do well, but I think I'll have fun!

-JD-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Thanks guys for all the great comments... :yesway:
    We are still working on things but we are getting there...

Since we have the facility we might as well use it and get some club level competitions under our belt and then move up and start hosting some bigger sanctioned events...

HSS is a very nice facility and the staff are top notch. Great bunch of guys. Not to mention they probably recommend you take a seat and sit around to shoot the breeze in the club house.

I'm hoping I can make it for this little competition. Not saying I'm going to do well, but I think I'll have fun!

-JD-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Help Me out Forum

This is our first event of many scheduled for this year at Hillside...

I would love to hear your :twocents: on what was good and what needs changed for our events. I am all ears and would love to here any ideas you have about events or stages.

I have been thinking about the amount of ammo needed for his event...
    what do you think about maybe shooting 5 scoreable rounds and 5 sighters at each range instead of 10 scorable and 5 sighters. This would bring the round count down and the overall ammo cost to shoot in this event. We are trying to get NEW shooters that have never shot in a competition before to SHOOT. ??? not sure if the cost of ammo would want them to shoot????

We have another Precision Rifle scheduled for September...
    what are your thoughts...?? maybe change up the round count alittle...????

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    Nice match!

I shot the match today and thoroughly enjoyed myself. This was the first event of this type for me and shooting at such great distances.It was a hot day with no break from the sun and the staff (and there spouses)put on a great deal of effort and lunch was much appreciated. However, my only point of frustration was the amount of time it took before I was final able to shoot. My time was slated for 11:15 and it was 1:00 before I got to send my first round downrange and it was 4:30 before I was packing up to leave. This is hard on both the shooter and the staff running the match. I think there was several things that contributed to this:

1) This is new to the club and expectations for staff and shooters are not engrained into culture yet so there are efficacies to be had about where they need to be and when and what they were suppose to do

2) Lack of comms for the staff. I think if each bay had a cheep portable radio it would have enabled faster communication about when the range was ready to go hot and cold and what was going on. Also, they come in handy when responding to medical emergencies.

3) Not enough SO's. Obviouslyfor safety reason's SO's need to be rotated for breaks etc to stay safe.However, getting people to give up a Saturday to essentially "work"all day isn't an easy sell either. That why I would recommend letting them shoot and SO. Logistically speaking you would need at least two at each station, but it is easier to find folks to help out when they are shooting at the sametime. It is the motto of pretty much every shooting sports to let the SO shoot and then the SO's take turns scoring each-others target. It makes it alot of easiert o have SO's handy.

4) Shooters not pasting the targets. I thought it was completely un-acceptable that SO's were pasting targets. There job is keep the range safe and score the targets: not paste targets. This should be a point identified in the pre-match briefing that pasting of targets is expected by all shooters and pasters should be available at each station where necessary.

5) 15 mins to fire off 10 rounds was way excessive. I would say 10 min max and even that is being generous. That gives a shooter a minute to send a round down-range and adjust. If you can't get it done in that time you're not going to get it done at all.

However, I want to stress once again I am impressed by the effort of everyone today who put on this match. This was my first high-power match and it something I definitely want to do again. I look forward to shooting the match later again in the year...I just hope you make some changes to speed things along :) Also, I liked the graduation setup for each progressively difficult shot. If you don't make the cut you don't get to shoot it. It definitely amped up the challenge factor! I would have liked to have made it past the 600 mark, but that little .223 was giving it all it could :)

Last edited:

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    First off I would like to thank Hillside and the staff from hosting the match. I think I heard that the match had 21 shooters, but I'm not 100% on that.

The good: Hillside has a great range for shooting long range range. Paper was shoot for 100, 200 and 300 yards and steel for 400, 600, and 1000 yards. You can't ask for a better day and it is always great to shoot with other like minded people that enjoy the sport. I saw shooters helping out other shooters which is alway great to see. I know I learn something new every time I lay behind my rifle.

The bad: I shot my first round almost two hours after my given start time. I know this was do to hosting a new event and getting everything sorted out (I'm sure this will be adjust before the next event). There should have been different classes for the types of rifles used. Much like other shooting sports that separate "race" guns and "production" guns to level the playing field. To much time was taken between strings of fire, I saw the bench rest shooter cleaning their guns while I was still waiting to shot my first round. I know this is a common Patrice for bench shooting, but 15 mins to fire 15 to 5 rounds is a lot of time while other shooting are waiting.

Overall: I will be back at Hillside for their next precision match and would suggest to anyone to come along and enjoy a day at a great range. I'm saying this and have to drive about 2 hours each way.

P.S. the ladies that took care of us by making lunch and providing drinks did a great job, and thank them from "us" shooters.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Thanks again to all 21 shooters we had on Saturday.... great day of precision shooting...
    winners, photos and scores will be posted on our website and facebook page soon...

We learned alot from our first event and are going to be making some changes for the next one to hopefully help out.

Any ideas or input from the event are welcome... good or bad... events@hillsideshootingsports.com

thanks again to SNIPER COMPANY, 21st CENTURY SHOOTING and HILLSIDE SHOOTING SPORTS for sponsoring this event...

Top Bottom