• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Thanks I am not worried about colleteral damage as there is a whole lot of nothing and a 15 high berm at the end of our property. Just wanted to he humane about it seems like its time to kick it up a notch as the elecdtric fence in not keeping them out

Thanks again also if any one has any suggestions on how to keep them away it would be much appreciated.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks I am not worried about colleteral damage as there is a whole lot of nothing and a 15 high berm at the end of our property. Just wanted to he humane about it seems like its time to kick it up a notch as the elecdtric fence in not keeping them out

Thanks again also if any one has any suggestions on how to keep them away it would be much appreciated.
    Pretty sure that after they're shot with a .223 they won't be coming around again... ;)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    A sheep farmer I know uses a donkey to keep coyotes away. They are too afraid of having the crap kicked out of them by the donkey. That being said, it's more work and less fun than using your gun.

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    It is interesting to watch a coyote cross a beef cattle pasture. They usually avoid the area the cattle are grazing, and if a cow gets too close for comfort, they keep an eye on her, even running looking over their shoulder. I have seen the same behavior with a momma deer, as well.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    The problem with coyotes is that you rarely will get close enough to use a shotgun. That's why the 223 is a better choice. More distance and still stopping power.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We use #2 shot hypersonic by Remington or .223 for greater distance.
    We have taken them with .17 HMR but you have to be on point with the round.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Cities are like smorgasbords for coyotes. Dogs, cats, trash cans, you name it, they'll eat it. They've adapted to city life really well.

Gordy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Newton Co.
    I've lost at least 15 chickens over the last 3 months to fox and coyotes, dogs, and birds of prey. They free range, so you've got to expect some loss for a lot of reasons. The real key is to have a weapon staged and ready when you see it. Most incidents I've seen are best suited for a rifle cartridge. The Best deterrent is a dog. Once the fox and coyotes pick off one, they will be back. I see them every day or every other day. Trapping has been ineffective. I spend most of my time outside so I always have a weapon handy. My opinion is to kill it with any cartridge you have. If you can reach out and touch them at 200 yards, then by all means....do it. The biggest mistake I've made was to have too high a power scope on the rifle and the coyote came out 25 feet from me. Try and find that in an 8.5-25 power scope. It's not the cartridge that's inhumane, it's the shot placement. Get used to losing chickens, but limit your loss. A dog works good and a rifle works better when you get the opportunity. .22mag up to .50BMG will do.

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    yotes

Having a coyotee problem lost 2 chickens and looking for suggestions would a 223 be adequate to dispatch or should I stick with a shot gun?
    trapping can be a very affective way of controling yotes, if you know what your doing. then you can shoot them with out useing up the hard to find ammo. lol
    where abouts you live. ive done alot of trapping around central indiana.

Top Bottom