Predict the 1st Banning for uncivil behavior in the new Religious Threads...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The path within the boundaries of scripture which leads you closer to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--is the correct path for you which may not necessarily be the right path for me. We started from two different places, but the important thing is that we are going the same direction by following Christ.

This is very close to my own persistent non-dogmatic belief. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus talked about His Father's house and it's many "rooms." Different people are swayed or influenced differently. Some people need more discipline, others respond poorly to that. Some people need structure, others less so.

God certainly knows this. So, to reach the most number of people, it would make sense that He would present Himself differently to them. (Need to figure out who the patron saint of marketing is.) ;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rosaries
    Chaplets
    Saint ______ medals

are focus objects (like prayer beads) to ease the random thoughts and distractions involved in regular (daily) prayer.
    Protestant denominations (that I have been involved with) may frown on Rosaries but love them some prayer cloths and prayer lists.
    Its basically the same thing. Give the Protestants 1500 more years and they may have a Paul rosary :):

I'm not trying to bash anybody. I'm a committed Christian that is studying to convert to Catholisism from Basement Baptist. :cool:

What's a prayer cloth? Isn't a prayer list a list of people who are sick or in harms way who have requested you pray for them, or is that something else?

Side note: Muslims use something like the rosary as well with prayer beads to keep counts.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wait a minute
    :stickpoke:
    We're not bashing each other.............

​I wonder where all the vitriol comes from in these type of threads

Bashing each other? You are all in the same club.

Atheists do have some reason to be upset.

We are told that we are held in roughly the same regard (or lower) than rapists.

We are held up as boogiemen to scare children and the elderly at church. I wish that was a joke, but I have witnessed it with my own eyes...and will never step foot in another Protestant church during service because of it.

We are legally barred from holding public office in several municipalities in the US.

We are told we do not exist in foxholes...but we do.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    What's a prayer cloth? Isn't a prayer list a list of people who are sick or in harms way who have requested you pray for them, or is that something else?

Side note: Muslims use something like the rosary as well with prayer beads to keep counts.

Catholicism isn't the only Christian based faith that uses prayer beads, or knots.

I know of several Methodists that pray the Rosary...with beads.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

We are told that we are held in roughly the same regard (or lower) than rapists.

We are held up as boogiemen to scare children and the elderly at church. I wish that was a joke, but I have witnessed it with my own eyes...and will never step foot in another Protestant church during service because of it.

We are legally barred from holding public office in several municipalities in the US.

So, generalizations about atheists are probably as bad as generalizations about religious people? Muslims?

ETA:
    Every group can easily "have a reason to be upset" about something. "Seek and ye shall find." ;)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...We are legally barred from holding public office in several municipalities in the US...

I know this is a fun persecution complex talking point, but we seem to be confusing laws "on the books" with laws that would be, or ever could be, enforced.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Paul,

I am of a mind that you can and will believe as you see fit.
    I would never question this but I may have some questions as to why.
    This would be only from curiosity and not vitriol.
    I have received the same treatment you describe from Atheists that were very staunch in their belief's.
    Some folks are just angry.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Damnit Paul, you don't exist! Get over it! :):

Seriously, I can understand why you would feel this way as a response to the behavior of people who should know better. The unfortunate truth is that one of the greater temptations for people of faith (some of which I would argue need to carefully reevaluate their standing) is to become sanctimonious. A common manifestation of this is to mistreat and condescend upon 'sinners and tax collectors' acting in exact opposition to the teaching and example of Christ. I will further say that a good church can be a very difficult thing to find, and, I am sad to say, your experience is far too common.

There are many misguided and judgmental people of faith. What I can tell you with absolute certainty is that I do not hold you in similar regard with rapists, consider you a bogeyman, believe that you should be prohibited from holding office, or that you do not exist in a foxhole when applicable. I will freely admit having concern for your eternal well-being, but I am not going to browbeat you about it. I believe that you have the same value as any other human being created in the image of God your belief or nonbelief in God notwithstanding. I believe that you are an upright person who does his best to be fair, honest, reasonable, and a good person, shortcomings which are part of the human condition notwithstanding.

Christ, who so far as I am concerned holds the final word, spent much of his time with people that the religious folk of the day not only shunned but made an ostentatious display of shunning. Regardless of what you may or may not believe from now until your last day, I sincerely hope that you see this same quality from believers who are truly conforming themselves to the image of Christ.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am certainly not as good a follower of Christ as I should be. I would definitely not want my complete and unabridged biography published. Unlike PistolBob, I don't pray for Moslems to come to salvation near enough. Maybe I have given up although I shouldn't. Most important for the issue at hand right now, I want you to know that anything I may say to you or which may apply to you in a more general sense is offered not as a judgment or a condescension but in caring for your well-being since you have as much value as a human being and a creation of God as anyone else and I will never disparage that, and if I say something that sounds disparaging, I would appreciate it if you would bring this to my attention since it is not my intent to do so.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

a prayer cloth is a popular thing among Charismatics, having a pastor or preacher pray and lay hands on a cloth, as Peter (I think, may have been Paul) in acts for the healing of the people.
    A prayer list as you say is a list of prayer request in many churches. But some have their own "lists" of people and family that they pray for in order to not forget anybody or miss something. Almost like a Litany.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

We are held up as boogiemen to scare children and the elderly at church.
    dude,
    I don't know where you've been, but that ain't it.

that wasn't like a Westboro place or anything.

every church I have been in (and its a lot)
    would love to have you and welcome you (without an argument and probably offer lunch)

dont base an opinion on one group of fools. The Christian "club" is about the most diverse and welcoming clubs in existence.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    a prayer cloth is a popular thing among Charismatics, having a pastor or preacher pray and lay hands on a cloth, as Peter (I think, may have been Paul) in acts for the healing of the people.
    A prayer list as you say is a list of prayer request in many churches. But some have their own "lists" of people and family that they pray for in order to not forget anybody or miss something. Almost like a Litany.

Is it a special cloth, other than due to its use? Some symbolism behind it as in it must be a certain color or have certain symbols? Is the same cloth used repeatedly? Does it stay in the church or do people take it home? Is it just one for the church or does everyone have their own?

This is really interesting to me, I've never heard of such a thing.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Is it a special cloth, other than due to its use? Some symbolism behind it as in it must be a certain color or have certain symbols? Is the same cloth used repeatedly? Does it stay in the church or do people take it home? Is it just one for the church or does everyone have their own?

In my experience, it has been an ordinary piece of common cloth used as a focal point for congregational prayer in the absence of the person being prayed for, generally in churches which practice laying on of hands. After the prayer, the cloth is generally taken and given to the person for whom the prayer was offered.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron

Female Amish call their head covering a prayer cloth as well, and it's color represents marriage in some locals. At least, that's what I've heard. I didn't look too deep into it.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008

not a special cloth (I bet some televangelists have their own) usually a handkerchief.
    Acts 19. It was Paul btw

What is a prayer cloth?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hey - a bit of a derail/crossover post.

There's kinda a patron saint of Muslims. :D

St. George. :)

Saint George is somewhat of an exception among saints and legends, in that he is known and respected by Muslims, as well as venerated by Christians throughout the Middle East, from Egypt to Asia Minor.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Another item you may encounter is the prayer shawl or tallit which is of Jewish origin. It is rectangular, has braided fringes called tzitzit on all four corners which if you can interpret knots spell out the name of God, and generally will have embroidered across the top this blessing:

65189.jpg

Attachments

• 65189.jpg
      65189.jpg
      9 KB · Views: 1

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And what do you call a hebephile who impregnates an unknowing teenager without her consent?

Where do you get she was unknowing and without her consent?
    You mike want to browse through Luke Chapter 1. Specifically Luke 1:26-38. He sent the angel Gabriel to speak with her. He told her was the Lord wanted and she replied.
    38 "I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said." Then the angel left her.

Now there's​ a big club. One I'll admit I'm a member of.
    I agree, and I'm a member of the club also.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom