• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Question for those of you shooting subsonic .22s with suppressors: What brand of ammo do you find works best in a variety of semi-autos? I'll be shooting through a Beretta 21a, Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 with a Guardian. My Beretta has always been temperamental on ammo but I'm hoping the can will provide a little more backpressure to smooth that out. (Thunderbolts all day long, hit/miss with other brands I've tried)

What brand of subsonic ammo works for your setup, and what can/gun combo do you use? What's a "good" price for your ammo and where is the best place to buy it?

I'm not in a hurry, so I could wait for the 1500 if I need to. The paperwork is just starting it's trip through the system.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    CCI's work for me too as well as Aguila, though I find those a little dirty and they smell weird. I have had fair to poor performance from RWS which is counter to what most folks find.

The absolute best subsonic ammo I have used has been PMC Moderator. Of course, this is no longer made. I have about three quarters of a brick left and shoot it sparingly.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    :+1:

I like the Gemtech 22lr ammo if you can find it!

I run a Ruger 22/45 and 10/22 with little problems.

+1 on the gemtech. It is expensive but in my target rifles it can group as well as wolf and ely. I am going to pull the bullet on one as maybe they did something with that 42 grain bullet like a mini ball. it shoots great,

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Just be advised the Aguila SSS (super subsonic sniper) are very loud in a suppressed semi auto. I lets the gases out of the ejection port because the brass is cb/short in length.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    CCI is what I prefer as it shoots the cleanest.

I've shot the Remington subs, and while I've had no issue, I think they make my barrel dirtier.

I haven't shot either enough to notice an accuracy difference, but in general my firearms prefer CCI.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Just be advised the Aguila SSS (super subsonic sniper) are very loud in a suppressed semi auto. I lets the gases out of the ejection port because the brass is cb/short in length.
    I know Gemtech recommends against using the SSS because it may cause baffle strikes due to the increased length of the lead portion of the round.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    fed bulk in my pistol (4.5" barrel), win sub hp, and cci standard in rifles. the win sub is consistently very quiet.

Someone needs to make a bulk pack affordable subsonic. No one does to my knowledge.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We use CCI Standard Velocity almost exclusively for subsonic testing. Dick's has it for $25 / 500.

Thanks for the heads up on the pricing at Dick's. I went in to get a couple boxes of 500 and ended up walking out with a case of 5,000. If the standard velocity is as accurate as the Sub Sonic I'll be very happy.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    AAC also says not to use the Aguila SSS because the long bullet can tumble and baffle strike...specifically states this in the paperwork with the can....I like the RWS Target rifle or Pistol 22lr...both seem to be the quietest (naked ear tested only) for me..

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I know Gemtech recommends against using the SSS because it may cause baffle strikes due to the increased length of the lead portion of the round.

Great point...:yesway:

The manual for the Outback II specifically states "The Aguilla SSS 60 gr. subsonic ammunition does not always stabilize in barrel twists readily available and can yaw badly on exit from the rifling. This will seriously damage the internal components of your suppressor, and use of this ammunition is at the user’s risk and will void the warranty."

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    CCI subsonics here; my Savage MkIIFV-SR loves 'em. Oddly enough, I tried some of the Gemtech ammo (which I understand is loaded by CCI) through the same gun/can combo and couldn't put a decent group together to save my life!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom