• halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't use different loads per rifle.
    Run one load per rig.
    Have one .243 win for deer, another for varmints :)
    And no, I'm not made of money.
    I drive a crappy Jeep LOL

Clarification: I didn't buy a 2nd .243 win to hunt deer. I bought it to rebarrel to .35 rem (but the regs changed so I just tried it "as is").
    Shoots good enough I might leave it.
    And find another to rebarrel...........or just buy my hunting bud's spare Rem 760 in .35 rem (yes he has two).

If my varmint rigs didn't like the 70 gr Nosler BT's I'd have tried some Hornady spirepoints.

Heck, I might buy another #1B in .243 win........in case chucks ever make a comeback. Chuck rig, yote rig, deer rig...........that'd be three.
    Of course a Contender rifle in 6x45 might be on the list. But might go .256 win. Yotes...........but maybe deer up close (if we ever get the deer pop back up to where shooting does is OK).

I've loaded as low as 60 gr bullets up to 110. My barrel didn't really smile with the 110s but does great with 100 gr.
    I'm thinking I can really dial in the 55-60 gr bullets with another powder instead of the 4064.
    My Winchester absolutely loves the 80s with the 4064.
    I quit experimenting after the 80s came in so tight. I haven't loaded any .243 since. the 80 is a good compromise but going as high as 100 or down to 55 grainers might be worth the bit of time and small expense involved.
    I've got more rifles but the ideal compromise rifle has escaped me. I gave up the search but I think the .243 has the potential to do anything I need it to do.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't use different loads per rifle.
    Run one load per rig.
    Have one .243 win for deer, another for varmints :)
    And no, I'm not made of money.
    I drive a crappy Jeep LOL

Clarification: I didn't buy a 2nd .243 win to hunt deer. I bought it to rebarrel to .35 rem (but the regs changed so I just tried it "as is").
    Shoots good enough I might leave it.
    And find another to rebarrel...........or just buy my hunting bud's spare Rem 760 in .35 rem (yes he has two).

If my varmint rigs didn't like the 70 gr Nosler BT's I'd have tried some Hornady spirepoints.

Heck, I might buy another #1B in .243 win........in case chucks ever make a comeback. Chuck rig, yote rig, deer rig...........that'd be three.
    Of course a Contender rifle in 6x45 might be on the list. But might go .256 win. Yotes...........but maybe deer up close (if we ever get the deer pop back up to where shooting does is OK).

I'd love to run into a reasonably priced .243 barrel for the Encore. Add some versatility. I have some cast/coated boolits to play with, but hate to go fiddling with sending them down what hopes to be a tack driving barrel.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I have some cast/coated boolits to play with, but hate to go fiddling with sending them down what hopes to be a tack driving barrel.

Why?

Lead, if it's clean, doesn't do a whole lot other than deposit itself, and you can fix that.

-Nate

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Why?

Lead, if it's clean, doesn't do a whole lot other than deposit itself, and you can fix that.

-Nate

I'm still not sure where I stand on cleaning the Rem 700 .243 barrel. I'm skeert of messing up it's chi :nailbite:, while it's working well. I still have a fair amount of load testing with jacketed bullets to go before possibly disrupting things with lead.

I'll play with .308's and cast stuff first, until I maybe lope onto a .243 Encore barrel.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Aw hell. You won't mess up it's anything.

But.

You MAY end up with tennis elbow getting the lead out of it. :laugh:

Hmm...cast boolits in a .22-243... :bacondance:

Last edited:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Varget for 58gr. H414 for 95 grain. Both Vmax bullets. I like both powders as they're very versatile for a few calibers I have. I haven't tried much else as these work well for me and I have quite a bit.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    I have been loading off and on since about 1964 for the .243. I like IMR 4350 and my load in the mid 60's was 42.5 grains of IMR 4350 and a Sierra 85gr. BTHP. Extremely accurate.

Top Bottom