• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    I'm not really sure where to post this, but I need some info. Due to recent events my sister is wanting to learn some gun safety and purchase a firearm. She is pregnant. Is there any harm that can be done to the baby if she is around while shooting? Will the sound be to much for the baby? Thanks in advance for any serious answers.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Id' worry about lead exposure and the noise, myself. My wife did NOT join me at the range the entire time she was pregnant. Just a precaution. The mother's blood lead level absolutely impacts fetal development.

Funny story: my wife (about 7-8 months pregnant) was hanging out in the garage while I worked on a few things. The air compressor kicked on (it is an incredibly loud oil-less model) and our girl kicked the hell out of my wife's ribs! To this day my girl doesn't like loud noises ("Too noisy daddy! Be quiet!").

MTubbs1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    The noise is a concern, but there are still plenty of ways to train. Dryfire drills, mindset & tactics ect.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    If she can shoot at an outdoor range, that would be best. Most of the safety can (and should) be gone over before you head out to shoot. No raw lead. This is just to get her familiar with how the weapon fires.

This is just the plane jane basics until the baby is born. Then get into the more detailed training.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    She could wear a mask, to help filter out any potential lead. That IS a concern and should be. I doubt my wife would even go to the range if she were pregnant. There's just no such thing as a safe amount of lead where a developing fetus is concerned.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I'd have her shoot suppressed, or have her stay home. The baby is just as susceptible to noise as the mother.

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    Thanks for the info guys. I also had a concern with lead exposure. I had my doubts on taking her right now. Just needed a little confirmation.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My wife shot with me during her whole pregnancy and no problems. The amniotic fluid suppresses the noise and just don't let her clean the guns afterward.

No problems with two kids and counting.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My wife shot with me during her whole pregnancy and no problems. The amniotic fluid suppresses the noise and just don't let her clean the guns afterward.

How do you know there are no problems?

Hearing loss is (generally) cumulative.

Also, sound is a pressure wave. Pressure waves are amplified within fluids (more molecules present & touching = more wave propagation)

It can kind of be thought of along the same lines as asbestos exposure. Not all exposure, even long term exposure, causes issues. But one's NEXT exposure may very well be the "straw that breaks the camel's back", so to speak.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Also, sound is a pressure wave. Pressure waves are amplified within fluids (more molecules present & touching = more wave propagation)

Ever been in a pool or bathtub with your ears underwater and had someone try to talk to you? Works kinda like that except amniotic fluid is ever thicker than water.

Colt would relax when we were at the range and jump around again when we were leaving. Remi jumped a few times and then settled in. Both passed their hearing tests in the excellent range. Dr.'s all said it was fine and there was several studies I read that concluded no harm to fetuses from exposure to gunfire.

I wouldn't let her shoot a high recoil long gun but handguns and ARs were fine.

I'm not saying you HAVE to or SHOULD take a pregnant girl shooting I'm just posting my experiences.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I did a great deal of reading on this subject about a year ago. I no longer have my resources, but the conclusion of the studies and expert opinions were clear. As far as lead is concerned: FMJ bullets only, no magazine loading, no cleaning of firearms, outdoor shooting only, and thoroughly wash hands with a lead removing soap before eating. Noise is a problem after the baby's hearing develops (can't remember for the life of me when that happens). If the baby is responding to other noises it will hear the gunfire and can suffer hearing loss as well as other complications. When the baby starts responding to noise it's time to go suppressed our dry-fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo

With your genetic contribution, how would we ever know? ;)

oooooooh128642612126821524.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As has already been stated, lead exposure is the main worry and is bad news. Lead kills brain cells, so I'd keep any pregnant woman well away from ammo, ranges, etc., to prevent another brainless anti-gunner from being made...! ;)

Top Bottom