• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    My daughter was born term but not full term at 36 weeks. She weighed 5 pounds 11 ounces and dropped under five pounds by the time she was admitted back to the hospital for low body temp, low weight and jaundice. She was in an incubator for three nights at six days old. He looks good except for the lungs if he isn’t in an incubator. I know it is scary with a brand new little one not good but have faith things will be fine. A friend had their daughter born at 32 weeks and she spent a month in the nicu, you couldn’t tell it now.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Having done that with our twins in December, 8 weeks early, 4 pounds 1 oz and 4 pounds 10 oz, you have little to fear. I see no breathing tube and I suspect the o2 and Cpap will come off soon. For ours at least the only thing that kept them in the NICU was bradycardia events. When they are newborns their heart rate is tied to breathing. If they cough or forget to breath (it hasn't become an unconscious action yet) for a short period it causes their heart rate to drop for a moment. Sometimes they will need a bit of stimulation to come out of it but it is all perfectly normal for newborns. Most simply aren't connected to heart monitors 24/7. Ours needed to be event free for 5 days before they could come home. Took 5 weeks for one and 7 for the other. They are now 7 months old, 20 pounds, and nearly crawling around the house.

Take time and talk to the NICU staff about everything, you'll learn a bunch, they'll be watching over him for the early weeks and you'll get to take him home on a pretty good schedule. Feel free to PM with any questions, you'll be taking him home before you know it.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Prayers for you and your family. I know it really stinks now, but he will be home before you know it.

On a side note, that picture brings back memories. My little pumpkin was also in the NICU a month early, she was 4 lbs. 14 oz. She is now 10 years old and 5' 9" 139lbs. On another side note my niece was 16 weeks early and weighed in at only 1 lb 14 oz. She is now 23 and engaged to be married.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You have it done. Sharing at work too. Blessings to you and your wife to have peace beyond understanding. Thanks for letting us know. Tim

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the birth of your son!

I’ll be keeping your son, your wife, and you along with your older children in my thoughts. From what i’ve seen you won’t find a more caring and capable group of people anywhere...NICU staff are second to none. Your son is in great hands, and I think you will all be just fine.

Edit to add: two of my cousin’s kids were very premature high-risk deliveries. Both stayed in the NICU for weeks. Both have turned out to be just as “normal” as her first (normal relative to my family, lol) son is. Keep your head up...your family will best this challenge in short order!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Amazing how many people have been through this. Talk about uplifting.

The respiratory symptoms have eased up in the last half hour, courtesy of surfactant. Amazing people in the NICU!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Amazing how many people have been through this. Talk about uplifting.

The respiratory symptoms have eased up in the last half hour, courtesy of surfactant. Amazing people in the NICU!

Awesome! A couple of years ago they cracked open my two-year-old daughter's sternum, removed her heart from her body, sewed patches onto it, stuffed it back in and wired her back shut.

5 days later she was up and around climbing on stuff. The ability of the young to heal is absolutely amazing.

I, on the other hand, will be off my feet for the next several days having taken a bad step at kickboxing and rolled my ankle over to the point that they are making me wear a boot and use crutches. Thank God it didn't snap.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Praying for strength for your family and your little boys development outside his mother’s womb. He looks great and his weight is awesome for a premie.

My wife and I had our fourth baby this past Saturday. I am familiar with the ups and downs with miscarriage and scares along the way. Life is a precious and fragile gift that we have no control over. Thankfully we have loving and merciful GOD that knows what he is doing.

Stay strong in the LORD and Congratulations on the birth of your son!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Awesome! A couple of years ago they cracked open my two-year-old daughter's sternum, removed her heart from her body, sewed patches onto it, stuffed it back in and wired her back shut.

5 days later she was up and around climbing on stuff. The ability of the young to heal is absolutely amazing.

I, on the other hand, will be off my feet for the next several days having taken a bad step at kickboxing and rolled my ankle over to the point that they are making me wear a boot and use crutches. Thank God it didn't snap.
    The way you described that was the most metal thing I've read in a while.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    saying a prayer now!

my girls (twins) were 4.4 and 4.12 when they were born a month early, i spent many a day and night at the nicu, (one girl went home after 5 days, the other was 7days) it seamed like months, the hardest part for me was when my (then) wife was discharged (3 days after the birth) as i was taking her stuff to the car riding down the elevator i cried like a baby!, and then when holly (1st one born) was discharged i cried again, that meant mom, dad, and 1 girl was home, and one was all by herself at the hospital, i woke up one night at 2 in the morning, got up got dressed and drove to the hospital, and held her in my arms sang to her and rocked her so she wouldn't be alone.

i cried, prayed, and in the end, it must have worked, because that was 22 and a half years ago, and i have two beautiful smart, caring and happy young ladies that are full of life and energy!

Top Bottom