• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Maybe something not readily thought of rhino. Did fatigue come quicker than normal shooting the match weak handed? Consequently, would you suggest plenty of or even more backup ammo when dedicated week hand carrying to account for misses you might not otherwise have?

Absolutely! By the time I was on the third or fourth string of each stage, I was shaking noticeably and having difficulty holding the gun steady in an extended position. Part of that is older injuries to my left shoulder and part is not shooting weak hand, unsupported for more than a 20 rounds or so in the past. The hardest part was maintaining the gun vertical so that it would recoil/flip in the direction that I expect.
    Canting the gun gives more stability, but it's harder to hit relatively small targets.

I carry most of my ammo on left side anyway, so I don't know if I would carry more than I do for that reason. People who don't carry any extra ammo might want to reconsider.

For the first few strings, my marksmanship was reasonably good. When I missed on targets even when I was fatigued, I didn't miss by much.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have off hand carry gear, but don’t carry it with me, and I should, but for space. I’m most likely to be injured away from home and my mirror carry gear, what’s worse, manual transmission Jeeps are hard as hell to drive with your left hand, unless you bought a RHD Jeep. Do you carry your mirror gear in your vehicle with you?

Does not do you any good if it is not with you. Rhino always does. I too started doing it a few years back.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Given the pros&cons of different carry positions, what are your thoughts on say: RH/IWB@4:00 paired with LH/AIWB using a snub .38 or micro compact (sig365/kahrCM9 etc) vs a pair of matching duty pistols on either side?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't carry the second gun much. When I do for training or a competition that I'll use both guns, its;

RH/IWB @ 3:00
    LH/OWB @ 8:00 - behind the primary double mag carrier

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Out of curiosity, what competitions do you shoot with two guns?

Hoosier Hills has a steel match down here twice month during the summer. MD cakelly1962 had the wisdom to create a division for micro carry. I shoot production and micro carry.

The match has been very helpful to push my G43 shooting to the limits on top of encourage me to carry the two guns at once.

sgtmack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    During one of my deployments I had an unfortunate accident involving field phone wire, and broke my right thumb. The doctor gave me a light duty slip because I couldn't hold a pistol with my right hand. There was no way I was getting stuck in the office, so I switched my rifle sling over to the other side, swapped my crappy Bianchi holster to left hand carry, showed my E7 I could still do mag changes, and went back on post. I still practice shooting left handed every range trip, just in case.

I do need to keep an eye out for a lefty holster. I can't find the cheap paddle one I had for my Smith. Now I have an excuse to do the gun show Saturday!

Top Bottom