• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Prepare for a cyberattack on the power grid, Wisconsin officials say

Maj. Gen. Donald Dunbar, who leads the state's emergency management efforts, addressed IT and business leaders at the Fusion 2016 CEO-CIO Symposium on Thursday. It was a sobering end to a gathering that highlighted the importance of strengthening bonds with customers through technology, but the message couldn't be more important, he said.

"Our entire society runs on power," Dunbar said. A prolonged outage due to a cyberattack on the power grid would have profound consequences. "I don't think I can truly measure in my head the impact."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Depending on when in the year it happens and how severe/widespread such an event would be, lots and lots of people will die.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I agree, I think this is one of the most likely mass impact events that would strike in our lifetime. I went through the northeast power failure in 2003, living in Detroit.... we had no power for 7 days, but it wasnt like there were shortages or anything. It opened my eyes (I was only 18 at the time), to how reliant our society is on electricity.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It still amazes me that they would have the control systems for the grid connected in any way to any outside network. That should be a totally isolated network.

Connectivity to the whole world is not always a good thing.

UglyAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Fishers
    It still amazes me that they would have the control systems for the grid connected in any way to any outside network. That should be a totally isolated network.
    At one time, they were... until the last thirty years' worth of beancounter MBAs infected the power companies with their "cost savings" "strategies".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Connectivity to the whole world is not always a good thing.

At one time, they were... until the last thirty years' worth of beancounter MBAs infected the power companies with their "cost savings" "strategies".

Yup. Easier and/or cheaper. Push any problems down the road.

UglyAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Fishers
    Of course, even with the grid hardened as much as possible against physical or Internet-based attacks, one can never guard 100% against social engineering. The human element is always the least secure element in any human-involved system.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Depending on when in the year it happens and how severe/widespread such an event would be, lots and lots of people will die.

It's unlikely. Such an event would lead to a military, possibly nuclear, response. Shutting down a nation's power grid is generally considered a precursor to a first strike nuclear action.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And who would we nuke it someone like Anonymous did it?

In the highly unlikely event that such an event wasn't state sponsored, whomever seems like the best target. No way the govt would just twiddle its thumbs and tell the public "we have no idea who did it."

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    In the highly unlikely event that such an event wasn't state sponsored, whomever seems like the best target. No way the govt would just twiddle its thumbs and tell the public "we have no idea who did it."
    No idea who did it does not equate to some group other than a state sponsored group being responsible.

It wouldn't even have to be directly targeted at taking down the grid.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I don't know that it is really any cheaper to have these systems connected to networks that are connected to the Internet. It is usually more a matter of convenience than cost that pushes that decision.

I fight similar things all the time where I work. The balance between security and convenience has swayed way to the side of convenience, and we are fighting hard to get it back towards security.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No idea who did it does not equate to some group other than a state sponsored group being responsible.

It wouldn't even have to be directly targeted at taking down the grid.

Oh.... well I said military action possibly nuclear. Military action would most certainly occur.

UglyAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Fishers
    I don't know that it is really any cheaper to have these systems connected to networks that are connected to the Internet. It is usually more a matter of convenience than cost that pushes that decision.
    To do it right requires people with intelligence that's well above average. Expertise costs money. My workplace emphasizes security (and performance) for our software products, but they pay well to hire people who can achieve it. Oh, and they also hire white hats who almost certainly have, shall we say, checkered pasts, to do pentesting and social engineering against the company itself, to find and fix security issues.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The Ted Kopple book goes into great detail on whether or not this is possible, he concludes it is, as well as who could do it. From his research, he feels that Russia and China are already in the network and could do it if they want, but that it does not server their interest, so they won't. Individual hackers are much less likely to be able to pull it off yet, but may be there within a couple of years. At that point, all bets are off since there's nothing to really stop one of them from doing it once they know how. The third section of his book deals with how to prepare and it's basically about stocking up.

It's a pretty good book, but it does present a pretty bleak future should it happen.

Top Bottom