• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big John

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2009
    I want to attend one of the first ones available next year but I have a few questions.

#1 would a 22lr kit in my AR be accurate enough or should I go with a dedicated upper?
    #2 I shattered my leg and ankle in a accident and am a little slow up and down will this be an issue?
    #3 Could I bring both an AR in 22lr and 5.56?
    #4 How much does it cost?
    #5 Will this count for the CMP (I want an M1 Garand)

Lars

Rifleman
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I want to attend one of the first ones available next year but I have a few questions.

#1 would a 22lr kit in my AR be accurate enough or should I go with a dedicated upper?
    #2 I shattered my leg and ankle in a accident and am a little slow up and down will this be an issue?

I just completed my first Appleseed this weekend.

#1 you should be fine with just about anything you bring. The skills you learn will benefit you regardless of what rifle you shoot now or in the future.

#2 I heard them say repeatedly if you have some kind of impairment we don't want you to hurt yourself. I don't think this would be a problem.

#3 Absolutely. I fired three different rifles on Sunday. They were all Ruger 10/22's but.... If the weather had been a bit better Sunday I may have given my AK-74 a shot at an AQT or two.

#4 I'm unqualified to answer but I'm pretty sure it's less than $100 for the weekend.

#5 I believe, based on discussions at the end of the day saturday, that participating in an Appleseed counts towards at least part of the requirements to join the CMP.

How'd I do guys?

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks Lars you answered all my questions, maybe a little confusion on #1...

What I meant was if I do my part is a conversion accurate enough or should I just get a dedicated 22 upper.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Thanks Lars you answered all my questions, maybe a little confusion on #1...

What I meant was if I do my part is a conversion accurate enough or should I just get a dedicated 22 upper.

I think what Lars is trying to say is that regardless of how well you or your gun shoots, the real value of this class is the set of skills they will teach you.

I would look at a dedicated upper myself.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I just completed my first Appleseed this weekend.

#1 you should be fine with just about anything you bring. The skills you learn will benefit you regardless of what rifle you shoot now or in the future.

#2 I heard them say repeatedly if you have some kind of impairment we don't want you to hurt yourself. I don't think this would be a problem.

#3 Absolutely. I fired three different rifles on Sunday. They were all Ruger 10/22's but.... If the weather had been a bit better Sunday I may have given my AK-74 a shot at an AQT or two.

#4 I'm unqualified to answer but I'm pretty sure it's less than $100 for the weekend.

#5 I believe, based on discussions at the end of the day saturday, that participating in an Appleseed counts towards at least part of the requirements to join the CMP.

How'd I do guys?

Spot on, Lars, good job!

John, we're not training your rifle, we are training you. We'll teach the skills with whatever rifle you have. Do note that the rifle being magazine fed and able to take a capacity of at least 10 rounds at a time is a very good thing. (If I understand your question, though, you're asking if the .223 barrel and .22LR round will have the accuracy. If you bench test your rifle (to take the human part of the equation totally out of the picture) does it hit where it's aimed, same spot every time? If it does, it's accurate enough for you to use.

Regarding your leg and ankle: Sorry to hear of your difficulties. Talk to your shoot boss about this. It is up to her or him to OK you not transitioning or whatever other modification is made to the course of fire for you.

Depending on what range you go to for your Appleseed(s), sometimes there are limitations. We recommend you bring the .22 for Saturday and save the big bangers for Sunday.

Cost: If you are Active Duty, Guard, or Reserve, if you are female, or if you are under 21, you shoot for free. If you go to the website and sign up in advance, both days together will cost you $70. Note that this does NOT include range fees, travel, lodging, food, or ammo costs. Often, however, we have campers, and if you're camping and several come together, splitting the cost of food can be helpful. I've never seen a range fee in excess of $10/day, but I won't rule it out. Considering that's often what helps keep the target line mowed and such, I can't find fault with it.

Re: the CMP. Ask your shoot boss about this. We have a form we can fill out and sign for you confirming your live-fire training requirement from CMP. We can also sell you a membership to RWVA, a CMP-affiliated club.
    We won't pay for your gas over to Camp Perry, nor will we pay for your rifle or ammo ;) :lmfao:, but we can help you get those other obstacles out of the way. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps you!

Blessings,
    Bill

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for the info guys...:rockwoot:

Bill I understand what you are saying about the rifle, I have yet to buy either way. I guess I am looking for someone to justify me spending 600 vs 200. :)

I think I am going to go with the dedicated upper and I'll just blame it on you and Appleseed then I won't feel as bad spending 800 or so bucks on a 22.:D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Accuracy - Dedicated Upper versus .22 conversion

Big John,

You asked about the accuracy of a .22 conversion bolt in an AR versus a dedicated upper for use in an Appleseed. The short answer is that the dedicated upper will be more accurate. It's barrel is machined exactly for the .22 Long Rifle cartridge whereas the .223 barrel is slightly larger diameter.

I have two recent range reports that will show the difference. In the first one, I was looking at zero point drift on a Millett scope. However, there are a couple of pictures of targets shot with .22 at 50 yards using a .22 Ciener conversion bolt in a Colt 6920 rifle. (Ignore the .223 targets.)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/56657-range_report_--_zero_point_test_of_the_millett_dms-1_rifle_sight.html

Now to compare, look at the targets in this range report. They were shot with a Spikes dedicated upper (at 50 yeards and the same Millett sight). Depending on ammo type, they are tighter than the round from the conversion. Note: ammo selection can make a huge difference. Test your rifle before going to the Appleseed. It's good that you are planning ahead! :yesway:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/60064-range_report_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial-up_warning.html

One additional comment. If you decide to purchase a dedicated upper, do plan to take some time to test it out on your lower and with various ammo brands. I'm still working on my friends Spikes upper and have made several minor modifications to improve feeding reliability.

Another good route is to equip a Ruger 10/22 rifle with a scope or improved iron sights. You'll see many 10/22s on the line at an Appleseed.

Happy shooting!

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Sep 20, 2009
    Thats the info I was looking for!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

I have a super 10/22 but it is just to damn heavy it was built as a bench gun, I was going to buy another one and tech site it but I figure if TSHTF ever an AR platform will be my MBR either AR10 or AR15, so my logic is train on what you will depend on.

I don't use my P22 to train with my XD so my logic is why should I train with a 10/22 for my AR.

Thanks for the info I am going to go check out your range reports now.

Top Bottom