• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Looking for prep ideas that save money over time. I've seen a lot of "prepping on a budget" posts here and elsewhere. How about a "do this first and it will expand your budget" list.

Gardening - easy to get into and challenging to master. This is really a no brainer for me. I'm fairly certain that almost anyone that puts in the effort can recover their costs in just a year or two.

Rain barrels - Helps with the gardening and builds up your emergency water supply. Water isn't too expensive for us city folks, but if you get a decent deal on the barrels you can recover your costs here as well.

Reloading - If you shoot a lot and don't buy high end everything this will repay you and then some.

Water filters - My wife just can't seem to drink water unless it comes in a clear plastic bottle. Now filtered rain barrel water goes into those bottles and she has no complaints (it's a miracle!) DIY active charcoal, gravel and sand costs next to nothing.

Cleaning supplies - Making your own brew of cleaners from the basics such as: bleach, vinegar, or ammonia (don't mix these) can save a bundle.

Power generation - Some situations will save money on this, some will not. It's very site/needs specific.

Solar dehydrator - Why pay for dehydrated food when you can grow and dry it for free. Keeps you fed through the winter and saves you money.

Canning - Not too expensive to get into and tastes better than the store bought cans. After the initial costs this will save you money.

Trash repurposing - Probably a lot of folks on here do this anyway, but reuse what you can. Empty 2 liter bottles washed and filled with water fill the empty space in the deep freeze. Saves a little electricity and builds up the emergency water supply. Clear plastic bottles are pretty decent little mini greenhouses for starting seeds. Turn old building materials into new projects. If you don't have to pay for it, it pays for itself immediately.

Get healthy - For the bigger folks out there. Being unhealthy is expensive and painful. I didn't realize how expensive or painful it was until after I lost the first 100 pounds. It doesn't have to cost any more to change your diet. Exercise is free too. Do it, when the weight comes off it's worth it.

Financial health - If you're trying to prep on $20 a week because you've got $3000 in credit card debt eating you alive, there is a problem. Use the money to pay off the debt and you'll be able to catch back up. I know if the SHTF before then you're boned. Well if your entire prep is 12 boxes of ramen noodles and some bottled water you're boned anyway, so pay it off and keep it off.

Become the handyman(woman) - If you're not paying someone else to do things you can do yourself, you save immediately. Sometimes getting experience is expensive though, so do your research first.

Learn to cook - Make food from scratch. Bulk flour/sugar/etc. It's healthier and cheaper. Also takes a while to master, so if you want to enjoy tasty breads, pastas after SHTF learn now.

What am I missing? A lot of people smarter than me on here, what other preps save you money in the long run?

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Buying food in bulk/cheap is something I would strongly suggest. Every once in a blue moon, it is possible to get flour for less than a dime per pound and sugar for less than a quarter per pound.

Also, as a note, never mix bleach and ammonia. I realize that this is not what you were suggesting, but in a world in which warning labels must be printed on plastic bags in the attempt to reduce suffocation of children whose parents let them use them as facemasks, it's probably worth making the clear distinction.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Thanks for pointing that out. It was worded pretty poorly. Edited.

That's another good one. I'll add it.

Nothing compares to fresh homemade bread. Which reminds me: a good recipebook/cookbook is literally worth its weight in gold, especially if your family doesn't have many recipes of its own. to share with you. I very strongly suggest Better Homes and Gardens and the Joy of Cooking. Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook is my personal grail for cooking, food preparation, food preservation, and useful tips on everything in between, such as showing the different cuts of meat for beef, pork, and lamb, as well as making your own sourdough starter. I can't recommend good cookbooks enough.

Also, as a tie-in for gardening and eating healthy, canning one's own food. It is not difficult to do, and it is a good way to maintain food security, especially combined with one's own garden and/or orchard. A good canner can be had for well under $100, and a great canner is only a few hundred dollars. I have both Presto and All-American canners, and they have paid for themselves. While you will pay almost $1/jar when initially purchasing canning jars, re-using canning jars pays for itself in next to no time, and is just pennies thereafter for lids. Unless you purchase Tattler lids, which unlike the classic metal/rubberish gasket seal, are completely reuseable ad infinitum.

skulhedface

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    east indy
    Also, as a tie-in for gardening and eating healthy, canning one's own food. It is not difficult to do, and it is a good way to maintain food security, especially combined with one's own garden and/or orchard. A good canner can be had for well under $100, and a great canner is only a few hundred dollars. I have both Presto and All-American canners, and they have paid for themselves. While you will pay almost $1/jar when initially purchasing canning jars, re-using canning jars pays for itself in next to no time, and is just pennies thereafter for lids. Unless you purchase Tattler lids, which unlike the classic metal/rubberish gasket seal, are completely reuseable ad infinitum.

How could I forget canning? Will add to the list. Have you had good luck with the Tattler lids? Saw a lot of mixed reviews so I went for the ball lids. What's the secret to not having them fail? Extra headspace?

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    How could I forget canning? Will add to the list. Have you had good luck with the Tattler lids? Saw a lot of mixed reviews so I went for the ball lids. What's the secret to not having them fail? Extra headspace?

I wouldn't ever change headspace on any item because it could alter sealing. I don't know how anyone could have them fail, but then again, I don't know how anyone ever has a jar fail to seal ever, much in the same way that I am always bewildered when the instructions for all recipes make sure to mention wiping clean the jar rim to remove food debris. How does food debris collect on an edge where there should never be food, even when filling jars? (They make funnels, and I always use them, so this is always unnecessary advice for me.) I use finger-tight pressure when putting on bands, making sure not to over-tighten. I also always keep the band on the jar, whether it's classic lids or Tattler lids. I remove the bands once after sealing and cooling, usually the next day, and then I replace the band, making sure not to overtighten, as doing so could potentially break the seal. I've also known people to remove the bands entirely and to keep them off after sealing and cooling.

I'm unfamiliar with complaints against Tattler or classic lids, so I'm not sure what problems others have, but I have only had one slight issue when canning. My first session, canning corn, I had some mild siphoning of liquid from the jar when I adjusted the temperature too rapidly on the gas burner. Since then I have had zero issues, and even that one initial annoyance didn't affect sealing. It just made the whole house smell vaguely like mash.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    If you don't remove air bubbles that can cause failed seals. I had that when I was first starting out. Telling me to remove air bubbles and yeah, I will, but I won't be super careful. When I found a place that explained that the air bubbles will burp out the contents of the jar and spew food into the canner and cause a failed seal, THEN I will be diligent. I'm the type that needs to know WHY I'm doing something.

So... remove your air bubbles, particularly if you end up with floaty bits in the canner afterwards.

Canning helps me save a ton. I buy meat in bulk in winter ($1.25 a lb for boneless skinless chicken breast) and can it. I get cheaper heat (100 percent efficient vs my old 80 percent furnace), don't have to pay for refrigeration, and have instant long term storage protein that we use. Yes, I have to pay 10 cents per jar for the lids, though I am considering trying the tattlers in the future.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Since my initial SHTF plan is to bug in, I installed a wood burning stove. For the cost of one February electric bill, I can buy enough wood to heat the house all winter long. I save even more if I am able to cut, split, and stack my own. Plus, I can cook on the stove top.

Top Bottom