• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you currently take any prescription medication?

• Total voters

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    New cancer drug by Bristol Myers Squibb, Yervoy. it doesn't even treat anything. it just extends length of life for certain cancer patients. Repeat, it treats NOTHING not cancer not any symptom of cancer, does nothing for pain, does not even help fix a head cold and it costs six figures and extends life only by about five months compared to certain cancer patients not taking it. So you tell me if we're taking pills just to be taking them or not.

Perhaps for a mom refusing to kill her child with chemotherapy or be barren from a total hysterectomy? I see it as viable (if it works) to let the mom be able to hold the child and be lucid enough to know what's going on.

I couldn't imagine being in that situation, bit if that were my wife's choice...I would stand by her and do everything in my power to let her at least see her child.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Perhaps for a mom refusing to kill her child with chemotherapy or be barren from a total hysterectomy? I see it as viable (if it works) to let the mom be able to hold the child and be lucid enough to know what's going on.

I couldn't imagine being in that situation, bit if that were my wife's choice...I would stand by her and do everything in my power to let her at least see her child.

the drug is chemotherapy. it just doesn't have any effect on disease progression. so taking this could also cause harm. i understand your point, but there are very few real life situations to which this could apply. but to respond to your hypothetical, what if she's only two months along with end stage cancer, and say she does have the appropriate type of cancer which this is prescribed for, and go further and say her doctor does think she'd benefit from it and prescribes it. lets even say her insurance covers it and that $120k drops down to a $50 or $100 copay, through patient assistance or miracle or compassion. and then let's say the drug causes no birth defects, although whether it does or does not is still unknown. and then let's say she lives even longer than the average of 4 months, and lives to see her child born. at what point do you acknowledge all of this end run to try to extend life as defiance of the will of the Creator? at what point do you as a husband accept the fact that you are now left to raise your child without the aid of your loving wife? so far we've assumed insurance covered the cost of this drug, or patient assistance. what if not? what about that new drug mortgage? i don't know, i'm not in that situation and God willing hope to never be in that situation. but it is far less cut and dry than any of us make it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My n.p. did some blood work last physical. My. Cholesterol was 171. They had recently lowered the recommended upper limit from 175 or 180 down to 165. Uhm hmmm. So when the nurse asked where I wanted my super duper gee whiz anti cholesterol meds phoned into, I told.her to tell my n.p. that I'd take it.... Under advisement. Have you SEEN the side effects on these cholesterol medications? No thank you.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My n.p. did some blood work last physical. My. Cholesterol was 171. They had recently lowered the recommended upper limit from 175 or 180 down to 165. Uhm hmmm. So when the nurse asked where I wanted my super duper gee whiz anti cholesterol meds phoned into, I told.her to tell my n.p. that I'd take it.... Under advisement. Have you SEEN the side effects on these cholesterol medications? No thank you.
    The side effects are minimal compared to things like fatty liver disease. Some cholesteral meds can cause liver inflammation, but a little inflammation is a minimal side effect to getting a disease that can result in liver failure. I say this as someone who has a genetic predisposition to hyper cholesteral (I've been over 300, even on a severely restricted diet). I currently take 3 meds for it and my numbers are in the normal range now and my liver's doing much better, (I wasn't wanting to get a transplant. I don't have that kind of money). Sometimes folks DO need meds, but sometimes they can get by without (your numbers weren't very high and a better diet with less bacon might do the trick :D). I'm pretty thankful for the handful of meds I need to take. They're going to lengthen my life and let me live in better health. Don't even get me started on Reglan...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    the drug is chemotherapy. it just doesn't have any effect on disease progression. so taking this could also cause harm. i understand your point, but there are very few real life situations to which this could apply. but to respond to your hypothetical, what if she's only two months along with end stage cancer, and say she does have the appropriate type of cancer which this is prescribed for, and go further and say her doctor does think she'd benefit from it and prescribes it. lets even say her insurance covers it and that $120k drops down to a $50 or $100 copay, through patient assistance or miracle or compassion. and then let's say the drug causes no birth defects, although whether it does or does not is still unknown. and then let's say she lives even longer than the average of 4 months, and lives to see her child born. at what point do you acknowledge all of this end run to try to extend life as defiance of the will of the Creator? at what point do you as a husband accept the fact that you are now left to raise your child without the aid of your loving wife? so far we've assumed insurance covered the cost of this drug, or patient assistance. what if not? what about that new drug mortgage? i don't know, i'm not in that situation and God willing hope to never be in that situation. but it is far less cut and dry than any of us make it.

Therein lies the problem, and without going into a theological debate I'm going to state that there are those sects who die refusing a life saving procedure: Blood infusion being a prime example. I can't go any further in this setting, if you'd like, you can get my opinion via PM.

Too many hypotheticals? but mine is not a hypothetical. Friend of the family went through this, but it was too late for chemo and she passed 3 days after giving birth.

chandler10r1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Danville,IN
    I think every person is different and each requires different treatments for the same "type" ailment. However, I do believe that doctors as a "whole" overmedicate. Most doctors in my area are overwhelmed with patients and do not have enough time to properly diadnose an ailment. The "family" doctor is being ran out of business in large part by Government opperated medical. I not talking about "obama-care", I'm talking about plane ole medicaid type insurance and so forth. A very influential Doctor in my area explained that the ER could not continue to opperate without the patients that have private insurance. The ER has had a dramatic increase of patients over the past 10 years and most have been for "non-emergency" related ailments (i.e. common colds). Most are by people who recieve Goverment healthcare and can be seen in a ER hosptial room without charge. If these same people seek treatment at a "family" doctor, they will have to pay out of pocket, because it is a "non-emergency"......... Sorry for getting so far off the topic. I am simply trying to imply that "most" doctors try hard to properly treat their patients, but Government and Big Insurance companies steer them in a different direction.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Therein lies the problem, and without going into a theological debate I'm going to state that there are those sects who die refusing a life saving procedure: Blood infusion being a prime example. I can't go any further in this setting, if you'd like, you can get my opinion via PM.

Too many hypotheticals? but mine is not a hypothetical. Friend of the family went through this, but it was too late for chemo and she passed 3 days after giving birth.

Without going into a theological debate, I will state that I firmly feel that all medication, all of it, directly violates the divine plan of the Creator. I am sorry to hear about your friend. Difficult choices present difficult solutions. It's never easy to make a decision like that. I'm sure she made the right one, because it was her decision to make, so whatever the decision is was the right one. My decision is not hers, or even yours. May He grant Peace upon them. Amen.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I've never taken anything but antibiotics 2-3 times.

I was prescribed hydrocodone once when I got my wisdom teeth removed, but I didn't need to take them.

My uncle had his wisdom teeth removed and almost got into a fight with the doctor about his desire not to take any medications. He said the doctor practically forced the prescription into his pocket after he told him a half dozen times he would be fine without it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My uncle had his wisdom teeth removed and almost got into a fight with the doctor about his desire not to take any medications. He said the doctor practically forced the prescription into his pocket after he told him a half dozen times he would be fine without it.

Why didn't he just take the script and refuse to fill it?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY

my guess would be pride.

Not that I'm trying to answer for jsarmon. My dad's like that. He popped a ligament in his knee, and refused to take a script for pain meds from the orthopedist.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

The doc was probably just trying to save your uncle a trip back into the office in case he changed his mind. There's certainly no harm in filling out a piece of paper.

Heck, I even got mine filled just in case; I just ended up not needing them.

I just wish I would have been put to sleep instead of laughing gas + local anesthetic...That was NOT a pleasant experience.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

That would have been a lot easier than arguing with him. Knowing my uncle, it was probably just the point that he told him he didn't want the script and the doctor wouldn't listen to him. He's easily one of the most stubborn people I know, so the doctor badgering him about it probably prompted the argument.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    The doc was probably just trying to save your uncle a trip back into the office in case he changed his mind. There's certainly no harm in filling out a piece of paper.

Heck, I even got mine filled just in case; I just ended up not needing them.

I just wish I would have been put to sleep instead of laughing gas + local anesthetic...That was NOT a pleasant experience.

A couple years ago i had a round explode in the chamber of the rifle i was using and took a couple pieces of metal in my hand, along with burning most of my forearm. The vicodin they gave me for pain hurt worse than any pain i was in from the incident.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    A couple years ago i had a round explode in the chamber of the rifle i was using and took a couple pieces of metal in my hand, along with burning most of my forearm. The vicodin they gave me for pain hurt worse than any pain i was in from the incident.

huh? I'm not sure how you mean. I remember one time I had to get a piece of welding slag out of my eye at the ER. The percocet I got was a god send, that hurt so bad.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I take benzos for insomnia. The doctor that writes the prescriptions has had multiple complaints for over prescribing benzos, and my family doctor doesn't really like that I take them, but nothing else really works. Well, nothing legal in Indiana.

Oh, and has anyone ever tried to get off benzos? I ended up going to a lower dose, because a week in I couldn't function. My doctor's suggestion? Take a couple weeks off work. No way...

Top Bottom