• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Regardless of any of these factors you say he faced how could he have ever got Senators or Congressman to resign, quit, or cause to fire? After all these same people where elected as well and it's not like the President no matter how vast his powers maybe he was never going to be able to get rid of them. That in fact would kind of go against the whole separation of powers thing. That is actually up to the American People and who they chose to elect or not elect.

When he said "drain the swamp" I always took that to mean the unelected bureaucrats and others that have way too much power and are way too corrupt. Others may have taken it differently.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    When he said "drain the swamp" I always took that to mean the unelected bureaucrats and others that have way too much power and are way too corrupt. Others may have taken it differently.

Well that's what I figured as well. Besides as I said how could he ever remove someone from office? He can't. Now that doesn't mean he can't possibly influence an election like he seems to be trying to do with Jeff Flake, However sometimes I wonder if this doesn't have more to do with Jeff Flake critizing Trump and not what Jeff Flake actually did or voted for. More for revenge and less to do with what Jeff Flake actually did.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well that's what I figured as well. Besides as I said how could he ever remove someone from office? He can't. Now that doesn't mean he can't possibly influence an election like he seems to be trying to do with Jeff Flake, However sometimes I wonder if this doesn't have more to do with Jeff Flake critizing Trump and not what Jeff Flake actually did or voted for. More for revenge and less to do with what Jeff Flake actually did.
    I think Trump mistakenly thought that because Republicans controlled both houses and the presidency that he would be able to get a lot done legislatively in short order. He didn't stop to realize, or he didn't completely understand, that under the banner of the Republican party in congress there are several factions. Unlike on the left these factions won't play together unless they get what they want. Since one faction is big government, business as usual types and another is made up of fiscal conservatives there is almost no middle ground.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I think Trump mistakenly thought that because Republicans controlled both houses and the presidency that he would be able to get a lot done legislatively in short order. He didn't stop to realize, or he didn't completely understand, that under the banner of the Republican party in congress there are several factions. Unlike on the left these factions won't play together unless they get what they want. Since one faction is big government, business as usual types and the other is made up of fiscal conservatives there is almost no middle ground.
    There is also the fact that they do not have a super-majority in the Senate. That can make it hard to get stuff through there.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There is also the fact that they do not have a super-majority in the Senate. That can make it hard to get stuff through there.

Yes that's very true. It tends to further empower these factions since each and every vote is critical.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I think Trump mistakenly thought that because Republicans controlled both houses and the presidency that he would be able to get a lot done legislatively in short order. He didn't stop to realize, or he didn't completely understand, that under the banner of the Republican party in congress there are several factions. Unlike on the left these factions won't play together unless they get what they want. Since one faction is big government, business as usual types and another is made up of fiscal conservatives there is almost no middle ground.

I just don't see what he hopes to gain from fighting this war except for appeasing his base or the fact he just hates it when people don't do what he wants them to do.

I just see this as being more destructive than it will ever really accomplish anything.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I just don't see what he hopes to gain from fighting this war except for appeasing his base or the fact he just hates it when people don't do what he wants them to do.

I just see this as being more destructive than it will ever really accomplish anything.
    It seems to me that he can't stand it when anyone defies him. That tends to bring out that immature streak he has.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

He's run into a brick wall. So now he is mobilizing the electorate to assist him. He knows McConnell is not highly thought of among the republican voters. The same can be said of Ryan. He is simply calling to arms the rank and file Republicans to put pressure on them. I'm not saying I agree with this strategy or that it is wise but that is what he appears to be doing. It may very well work.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I'm curious what you consider his base to be? Not trying to be antagonistic or anything but I just don't see a base for him. The only people that are really defending him are the Nazi nationalistic loons and I believe they are only doing it to **** off the far left. Trump was elected by being the name on the other side of the sheet, not by anything he promised to do although I admire his stance on illegal immigration which has yet to bear a harvestable crop.

I just don't see a "Trump Base" beyond a bunch of people that very grudgingly pushed the button next to his name versus the alternative.

Buckeye911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    NEW PALESTINE
    Funny part is that if he was able to get a few items done with the swamp he would be appreciated more by the R party.....2A, tax cuts and health care (not done yet) would do the trick for me.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    It seems to me that he can't stand it when anyone defies him. That tends to bring out that immature streak he has.

This among many reasons I just do not like this guy and believe him to be more dangerous than good. So no matter how much things may need to change or whatever good he might acheieve I view everything else that comes along with it to be more harm than good.

He's run into a brick wall. So now he is mobilizing the electorate to assist him. He knows McConnell is not highly thought of among the republican voters. The same can be said of Ryan. He is simply calling to arms the rank and file Republicans to put pressure on them. I'm not saying I agree with this strategy or that it is wise but that is what he appears to be doing. It may very well work.

Time will tell. I just hate seeing the new norm of everything having to be so contentious and chaotic being the new norm. Sorry but I would rather see serious and responsible governing winning the day.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Time will tell. I just hate seeing the new norm of everything having to be so contentious and chaotic being the new norm. Sorry but I would rather see serious and responsible governing winning the day.

You must be pretty old because we haven't had that for decades.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Funny part is that if he was able to get a few items done with the swamp he would be appreciated more by the R party.....2A, tax cuts and health care (not done yet) would do the trick for me.

Actually I think it's more what Bird said, although I think this is a very dangerous and risky way to go about it. Frankly I think he risks losing even more support. By no means will it be his base, but others whom actually are necessary to build any semblance of a coalition or consensus necessary to get these things passed.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I'm curious what you consider his base to be? Not trying to be antagonistic or anything but I just don't see a base for him. The only people that are really defending him are the Nazi nationalistic loons and I believe they are only doing it to **** off the far left. Trump was elected by being the name on the other side of the sheet, not by anything he promised to do although I admire his stance on illegal immigration which has yet to bear a harvestable crop.

I just don't see a "Trump Base" beyond a bunch of people that very grudgingly pushed the button next to his name versus the alternative.

Honestly I'm not yet convinced I know who his actual base is. Seems as he has fairly strong support from some of the people here.

Are you saying you believe his base is nothing more than Nazi Nationalistic Loons?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    He has a base. It just isn't nearly as big as he thinks it is. There are hardcore Trump supporters, just not that many of them. I believe the vast majority of people that voted for him held their noses when they did. I think those same people shake their heads at his twitter rants and probably don't publically admit that they support him. That's what skews the polls so badly. But if the Dems trot out Pocahontas or Bernie next time around they will hold their nose once again.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    He has a base. It just isn't nearly as big as he thinks it is. There are hardcore Trump supporters, just not that many of them. I believe the vast majority of people that voted for him held their noses when they did. I think those same people shake their heads at his twitter rants and probably don't publically admit that they support him. That's what skews the polls so badly. But if the Dems trot out Pocahontas or Bernie next time around they will hold their nose once again.

Although a good number here say they're not a part of his base others do. But frankly based on what people say with regards to varying degrees of support it makes it harder for me to determine who is actually part of his base and who is not.

Top Bottom