• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was watching it hover then land. Got a video of it taking off from the Heliport. Got a close look at it, painted in the Presidential markings. Really cool.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Rolls Royce T406 engine powers the Osprey. A co-worker said her wife works at Rolls Royce (downtown Indy) and that it was a promotional fly over.

Nice video!!!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm surprised they would even consider it. The Ospreys don't have the best safety record. They like to fall out of the sky.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I'm surprised they would even consider it. The Ospreys don't have the best safety record. They like to fall out of the sky.

Ah well, it's just the media and support staff that ride on them. But, they're confident in them now.

Of course, the Osprey has faced a checkered crash history. However, Marine officials now refer to it as their safest aircraft after it’s faced a rigorous operations tempo for the past four years in Afghanistan. The Osprey has been able to prove the Osprey’s worth delivering Marines and supplies over the long distances between forward operating bases in Afghanistan.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I heard the noise as it rattled the windows on the Emmis building where I work, I watched out my window in amazement as the engine pods rotated and it landed.

First time I've seen one in flight. It took off about 30 minutes later.

RAW video on Indystar.com

[video]http://www.indystar.com/videos/money/2014/11/05/18529205/[/video]

Rossko85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2014
    Brownsburg

I thought those were the original variants that come out? The ones that literally fell out of the sky! They have reworked that platform from what I have heard. I'm sure they reviewed ALL the above before putting the prez in it!....or maybe not? LOL

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I thought those were the original variants that come out? The ones that literally fell out of the sky! They have reworked that platform from what I have heard. I'm sure they reviewed ALL the above before putting the prez in it!....or maybe not? LOL
    These only carry support staff, media, ect, much like the Chinooks do, during a Presidential visit. I watched as the Presidential crew practiced take-offs and landings in Lower Manhattan about 5-6 years ago. What a sight that was.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    But, they're confident in them now.

"However, Marine officials now refer to it as their safest aircraft after it’s faced a rigorous operations tempo for the past four years in Afghanistan."

That's "laughable"... I spent nearly a full year of my life in close proximity to Kandahar Air Field. During that time there were ~20 Ospreys sitting on Lima ramp. You want to take a guess how many times I saw ANY of them running? 1 time, 1 time in nearly a year 1 of them had the rotors turning. Did that one take off? Nope, it sat there with rotors turning with mechanics gathered around in prayer (I may have added that last bit, but there were mechanics gathered around it). Most of the time they sat there, unused, and over half of the 20 that were there were dismantled to some point (most were missing rotors/engines/etc).

In my entire year in Afghanistan, I only ever saw any of them go up 1 time. It was a pair of them, and it was right at the end of my last trip over there...

Top Bottom