• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Saw something wondering if Obama will pardon all the "dreamers". Can a president issue a blanket pardon on a group of people or does it have to be one declaration for each person? I know McAuliffe in VA got slapped for trying to blanket pardon felons.

just curious

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You know about Lincoln's grant of amnesty during the Civil War and you have read Ex Parte Garland? Washington after Whiskey Rebellion?

If not, I would start there.

Got to go to court, will be back.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    It was my understanding that no pardons occur until a person has applied for such and the case is vetted/investigated by the relevant White House staff attorneys. So...no.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Am I right in believing the Clintons will no longer be able to attract large donations as they no longer have anything of value to offer a donor? If so, they have maxed out on wealth accumulation and will have to preserve what they have to keep up the lifestyle.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't recall Nixon applying for a pardon or any investigation. Ford just did it to save the country from additional turmoil.

Back to the OP. You can pardon them for a crime, but he can't grant them citizenship. I don't see how a pardon really does anything.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Am I right in believing the Clintons will no longer be able to attract large donations as they no longer have anything of value to offer a donor? If so, they have maxed out on wealth accumulation and will have to preserve what they have to keep up the lifestyle.
    I would say, kind of. They still have a lot of connections with people in power that will listen to them. They will still be desirable speakers for some people/groups. I doubt they will ever want for money

mcjon77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    Saw something wondering if Obama will pardon all the "dreamers". Can a president issue a blanket pardon on a group of people or does it have to be one declaration for each person? I know McAuliffe in VA got slapped for trying to blanket pardon felons.

just curious

I don't see how pardons apply to DREAMers. They are not incarcerated, and a pardon does not automatically grant them citizenship or permanent residency. He COULD pardon non-citizens who are felons, which would remove the criteria (felony conviction) that can lead to automatic deportation. However, considering how aggressive Obama has been about deportations (he has actually deported 25% more people than Bush did, and more than every president in the 20th century COMBINED) I highly doubt that will happen.

Instead, look for him to ramp up the pardons on non-violent drug offenders, who (IIRC) actually make up the bulk of our federal prison inmates.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When has Obama ever cared whether anything he done was legal? Look at his track record of getting his actions through court.

He'll pardon the Dreamers. Doesn't matter whether it's legal or not. It will be effective though, there will be terrible press if deportation of the Dreamers is attempted.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It was my understanding that no pardons occur until a person has applied for such and the case is vetted/investigated by the relevant White House staff attorneys. So...no.

That is an administrative procedure. Not a Constitutional or legal requirement.

The President…shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, back. Things went well and I took the crew out for lunch.

Yes, President Obama could pardon all DREAMERS for committing a federal misdemeanor and that would accomplish . . . not a thing.

The President by Article II (and the discussion in the case I assigned you to read) has very broad power to pardon. However, his pardon as to a federal misdemeanor would be symbolic at most.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    You can bet your bippy that Beau Bergdahl will be included in the pardons. It frosts my nuts but I would be willing to bet it will happen. Don't be surprised if ALL of the Clintons end up pardoned.Chelsea Manning will probably on the short list also. [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]When you look at the flag and say “this ain’t my flag and Donald Trump ain’t my President” Obviously this AIN’T your country[/FONT]

Last edited:

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Hey guys, let's try not refer to them as "Dreamers" and call them what they are, "Illegal Aliens". Referring to them as dreamers just continues to promote the liberals spin. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I would say, kind of. They still have a lot of connections with people in power that will listen to them. They will still be desirable speakers for some people/groups. I doubt they will ever want for money

Though they have some connections with powerful people in Washington DC, the DNC, and with Senators and House members, essentially they have little to offer that anyone would want to pay for. They no longer influence US policy.

I imagine that the Clinton foundation will take a big hit. They'll still be able to make a cushy living writing books, and doing paid speeches for various political dot-orgs. But the gravy train has mostly derailed.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hey guys, let's try not refer to them as "Dreamers" and call them what they are, "Illegal Aliens". Referring to them as dreamers just continues to promote the liberals spin. ;)

well, this is a particular group of unaccompanied minors that came to the US specifically for this program, right?

But if I let my kid walk to school I get in trouble for putting him at risk. But Obama tells hundreds of thousands of minors to make their way up solo, often on foot, from central America and it's cool...

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I don't see how pardons apply to DREAMers. They are not incarcerated, and a pardon does not automatically grant them citizenship or permanent residency. He COULD pardon non-citizens who are felons, which would remove the criteria (felony conviction) that can lead to automatic deportation. However, considering how aggressive Obama has been about deportations (he has actually deported 25% more people than Bush did, and more than every president in the 20th century COMBINED) I highly doubt that will happen.

Instead, look for him to ramp up the pardons on non-violent drug offenders, who (IIRC) actually make up the bulk of our federal prison inmates.

The increase is only due to the way they count a deportation. To bump up the # they are now counting people turned back at the boarder as deported.

Google will find plenty of info on this trick.

Top Bottom