• ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    We even carry the same model... We can be Kimber buddies! :D

Anyway my wife can't do that either so it's not for everyone.

It's not that I don't want to! :):
    What really gets me is the method (depending on the length of the guide rod) where people hook their thumb inside the trigger guard and put their index finger over the area where the spring cap is (under the muzzle) and squeeze. That just creeps me out.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I understand you can only do that if you've used that hand/wrist a LOT.

:yesway:

What really gets me is the method (depending on the length of the guide rod) where people hook their thumb inside the trigger guard and put their index finger over the area where the spring cap is (under the muzzle) and squeeze. That just creeps me out.

I remember Al Pacino doing that in Heat... With his finger ON the trigger I believe.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009

The press checks are part of our Intro to Level I Defensive Handgun Course all women's class. It takes a little practice but all the women are able to do the visual and non visual press checks. It's all about technique and getting the hang of it.

Jetgirl: If you are ever over this way stop in and we would be happy to give you a tour. From reading your posts over the years you really seem to know your stuff. I think you would get a big kick out of our Level I and Level II Defensive Handgun Courses.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I press check anytime I'm putting the gun on and its been out of my control.

You should always know the condition of your weapon.

As for technique, I prefer the "crab claw" just forward of the breech. This allows me both a visual and tactile inspection of the chamber.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    It's becoming routine now that my son (2 years old) is getting older and able to go out and run errands with me. Before we walk out the door, I do a visual check. Never stuck my finger in the barrel and don't see a point. I clean my firearm after every range trip so no possibility of a bullet being stuck in there between trips.

Not to bust your balls, but I personally don't like this kind of thinking when it comes to firearms. That's the whole reason for Safety Rule #1. One should NEVER make the assumption that it is impossible for a gun to be loaded/unloaded.

Edit: After rereading, are you referring to a lodged projectile in the barrel or just a loaded/unloaded status. Some people use "bullet" interchangeable with ammunition so I wanted to check....Press Check ;)

To the OP, I am in agreement with the majority opinion on this thread, I press check anytime my gun leaves my possession. Even though it's a Glock, I use the same method as Titanium_Frost.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep. Try as I might, I totally can't do that one handed.

If we're ever in the same place at the same time, I'm willing to coach you a little if you want to learn how to do it. I don't use it much myself unless I only have one hand available, but it's the way John Farnam teaches it and I don't remember seeing anyone in the classes I've attended that couldn't do it after a little fine-tuning.

It's kind of racking the slide. Anyone can do it with good technique as long as they don't have some kind of disability, but a lot of people think they can't because they haven't learned a way that works for them yet.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    I do a press check as well. The benefit is that you don't have to look into the chamber to verify a round is there. This is beneficial in a critical incident when you definitely don't want to look down at your gun and take our eyes of your surroundings.

It does take a little practice to make sure you don't eject a chambered round. I found this to be especially true on compact/pocket guns in medium to large calibers such as 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP/GAP. Since the recoil spring is usually pretty tight on small guns in medium/large calibers, a decent amount of hand strength and control is required to pull the slide back. This can be compounded depending on the size of your hand. If the slide is pulled too far back, the chambered round can be be ejected. If you are unlucky, it could also cause a double-feed or other malfunction.

So, like everything else practice with a dummy round.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Haven't seen it.

Make a vid?

The closest I can come to that is some crude charcoal drawings ...

One thing that may help you: hold the butt of your pistol against your abdomen when you try it next time. Bracing the gun a little helps.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom