• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was an 1811 (armor crewman) in the Marine Corps from 1985-1989. I was issued a 1911A1. We didn't do press checks. We also didn't have a combat pistol course. I qualified once a fiscal year with the pistol and with the M16A2. Our pistol qualification consisted of bullseye targets at 15 and 25 yards.
    That response was from one of my sons whos enlistment was over 14-15 months ago. I was 76-82 and we were taught to do press checks also on an unknown pistol.
    He will also tell you that before his first deployment with Constellis he spent weeks in Moyock and a Army base in Texas learning the latest and greatest in that Industry. There were no press checks done.
    Shortly he will be heading to more school in Jordan, we will see what happens with that.

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The reason your pistol is doing this is because the barrel was fitted as tight as they could get it in the hopes the accuracy will last a little longer. When the slide goes into battery from the full rearward position inertia will carry it all the way home. When you press check it - that is not happening. Don't do press checks if you are going to run that gun. Ever. The recoil spring should be driving the slide fully into battery but as you have seen - it's not unless it gets a run at it. The spring may be shot as well. Replace it and buy spares - use the poundage specified by S&W. The only job of the recoil spring is to strip a round from the magazine and place the slide and barrel into battery. That's all it is for. Press checks are for amateurs who "forgot" if they loaded load their sidearm.

Last edited:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The reason your pistol is doing this is because the barrel was fitted as tight as they could get it in the hopes the accuracy will last a little longer. When the slide goes into battery from the full rearward position inertia will carry it all the way home. When you press check it - that is not happening. Don't do press checks if you are going to run that gun. Ever. The recoil spring should be driving the slide fully into battery but as you have seen - it's not unless it gets a run at it. The spring may be shot. Replace it and buy spares - use the poundage specified by S&W. The only job of the recoil spring is to strip a round from the magazine and place the slide and barrel into battery. That's all it is for. Press checks are for amateurs who "forgot" if they loaded load their sidearm.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Never understood the concept of a press check.

Top Bottom