• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    I'm in my first 6 months of reloading and so far done only .45LC with a Lee Progressive 1000 press. I'm about to start reloading 7.5x55, 7.62x54 and 7.62x63 (30.06).
    The Progressive 1000 isn't all that friendly for changing calibers, so I'm considering another press.
    Would I be better off with a single stage, a 4 hole turret, or something else?

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For mostly rifle cartridges, it's hard to beat the precision of a single-stage. Load in batches, where you do all of one operation at a time, and it's plenty fast enough for the volume of cases you'll be reloading.

I favor the RCBS RockChucker, but any of the cast iron presses from Hornady, Lee, RCBS, etc. will do the job for you. The camming power and massive construction of the cast iron single-stage presses makes resizes big rifle cases a breeze.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    How much do you shoot those calibers? I guessing they are all bolt rifles and a single stage will work just fine.

I like measuring everything myself and making sure I get the most out of each reload. Single stage RCBS from the 1960s still works great.

jrclaxon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Marion
    I agree, get a good single stage press and prep and prime your cases. Then you can load small batches for testing your loads. I always keep a note in my die box that states the OAL setting of my seater die so if I'm loading the same bullet I know it's close. Good luck and take them one at a time!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Second the single stage. Because of the nature of the rifle case, it is hard to load them progressively with the sizing stage.

I have loaded .223 on my progressive, but did the sizing and decapping separate.

Like others have said, a solid single stage will do just fine, and should allow you to load sufficient quantities.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Single stage for rifle always.

I'd never even risk trying any rifle cartridge in a progressive. Unless its straight wall and also can be used in a revolver I.e. 357, 44, 500

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I will agree on the single stage but add a turret press is handy to have. I've got an RCBS with two six hole turrets. I keep my three most often loaded calibers set up and have open spots when loading others. Definitely get a good solid press. I loaded on a 50+ year old Lyman for a longtime and it's still solid as can be.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While I am a reloading newb, I have a Dillon 550 for its flexibility (pistol and rifle reloading) and ease of conversion between the two, so easy even I can do it.

Not saying it is the one to go with, especially given my experience level, but something to consider perhaps.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Second the single stage. Because of the nature of the rifle case, it is hard to load them progressively with the sizing stage.

I have loaded .223 on my progressive, but did the sizing and decapping separate.

Like others have said, a solid single stage will do just fine, and should allow you to load sufficient quantities.

I am going with this. Progressives are great for high volume 5.56 and the like but I load all my precision .308 one at a time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Lee Classic Turret. Yes, I know, it's my answer for (almost) everything. Extra turrets are cheaper than Lee breech lock bushings and whatever Hornady calls them, and caliber changes are faster.

2 for $8
    Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings Package of 2

1 for $13
    Lee 4 Hole Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Turret

Now before you say "no it's not cheaper", remember you have to buy two pairs of breech lock bushings to hold a 4-die set or two 2-die sets. If you have three die sets, it leaves a hole open for the rifle charging die and the Pro Auto Disk (if charging small cases), or a separate crimp die if you're loading pistol.

I have a progressive so I use my Classic Turret in single stage mode and batch load, but it's also a good (albeit slower) alternative for loading rifle cartridges faster than a single stage because the LCT has the auto-indexing mode.

After getting my Classis Turret I gave my single stage press away -- I never used it anymore.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    While the Lee Classic Turret works well enough for larger bottle-necked rifle cases, I will always prefer resizing with the beefier strength of a single-stage. The amount of time saved with the LCT, when batch loading, is nominal since it is the handling of each case multiple times that makes batch loading significantly slower. Swapping out resizing and seating dies takes so little time as to be negligible, IMHO.

Top Bottom