Pretty cool water bottle self fills from humidity from the air.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it works as advertised, this thing would be perfect for marine survival kits. It could either supplement or replace a hand-pumped reverse osmosis unit for people stuck out on the water.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I know it is hard to motivate everyone around a cause but if everyone would use one of these it would sure help with the summer humidity. So..there's that too.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Kidding aside, I'm picturing the week long canoe trips I've taken 100's of miles north into Canada. This could sit on the gear and make water all day long and minimize the amount of weight we carried all day by not having to filter pump water each night and carry it all day. Or simply as a backup for a lost or broken filter. Sure would be easier than boiling water every day and less time consuming, and less weight (than either a larger water pot to boil it in and/or fuel/stove.)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    It's not quite ready for prime time but this tech has amazing potential. I believe Fontus just got a big grant from Austria to move the ball further down the field in addition to the crowd funding.

As as a backpacker, definitely excited about not having to worry about finding water in dry creek beds. Moreover, third world countries where clean water is such an issue, this tech solves that and that is what is most exciting to me.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Kidding aside, I'm picturing the week long canoe trips I've taken 100's of miles north into Canada. This could sit on the gear and make water all day long and minimize the amount of weight we carried all day by not having to filter pump water each night and carry it all day. Or simply as a backup for a lost or broken filter. Sure would be easier than boiling water every day and less time consuming, and less weight (than either a larger water pot to boil it in and/or fuel/stove.)

The newest Sawyer filters are way lighter than anything previously out there and require no pumping. Plus they are incredibly cheap. There's really no reason not to use them any time you are on or near water for a trip, so tech like the Fontus is superfluous in those situations.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    200+DOLLARS for a water bottle???? I think I'll just go on getting my emergency water the same way I have for the last 55 years.......

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wonder what the minimum humidity and minimum sunlight is for this to work?

Answered part of my question:
    Fontus can produce 0.5 quarts (0.5 liters) of water in 1 hour in what is considered "really good" conditions, with temperatures between 86 degrees and 104 degrees Fahrenheit (30 to 40 degrees Celsius) and between 80 percent and 90 percent humidity, Retezár said.

So, hot and humid.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The newest Sawyer filters are way lighter than anything previously out there and require no pumping. Plus they are incredibly cheap. There's really no reason not to use them any time you are on or near water for a trip, so tech like the Fontus is superfluous in those situations.

As long as it's fresh water.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    What if it's placed in an area where people fart a lot will the water taste like....... Um well you know.
    Like, what if it was placed at the 1500 during peak hours.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom