• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    In light of recent events in Ferguson, MO. I am inclined to think back and reflect on a previous experience in my college years while serving as an EMT, which taught me four very important life lessons that many of you may already know. I do this in hope that others bring forth their own contributions.

1) An unarmed threat is still a threat to one's personal safety. Unarmed does not equal harmless. I know this first hand where I watched an unarmed man fight off FIVE police officers at one time. Mace and batons were helpful but not effective, I know this because I became responsible for his medical treatment afterwards. It eventually took a sixth officer to subdue him (more on that below).

2) Bad people do not behave like you and I do. They do not react in a way that either of us can comprehend. They do not have the same thought process or emotional responses that we have. Going with the same example above. The reason behind the scuffle? He tried to take close up videos and pictures of a kid that got hit by a car and was lying unresponsive in a gutter of the road, drowning in a puddle from the rain.

3) While In the station talking to and treating this guy I realized how much bad people do not have respect for law, morals, or faith. he was in his 30s and had just come out of the local college bar. His pockets were filled with condoms, weed, and cigarettes. He ignored officers, talked back and insulted them. He did understand one language, violence and at least the threat of violence.

4) No one is more selfless than those who protect and serve our communities. When I first arrived on scene to the accident there was one officer (who ironically also happened to be the most jacked guy on the force) holding this kid's head above the water so he didn't drown. He was 20 feet from the fight, watching the whole situation unfold. Yet he knelt there holding this kids head while his fellow brothers and sisters tangled with the other guy. The very second I took over for him, he dived into the fray.

How many of those peacefully protesting do you think would rush in the face of danger to help save you or your family. I'm inclined to believe that if you're in a life threatening situation many of them would rather do something other than try to save you.

Pulling out their camera would probably be their first reaction

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    The idea of not getting involved and being a good witness is common around here.:(

I am no way comparing any members here to the POS that wanted to take pictures of a dying child.

The attitude of I will only help me and mine does become disheartening at times.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In light of recent events in Ferguson, MO. I am inclined to think back and reflect on a previous experience in my college years while serving as an EMT, which taught me four very important life lessons that many of you may already know. I do this in hope that others bring forth their own contributions.

1) An unarmed threat is still a threat to one's personal safety. Unarmed does not equal harmless. I know this first hand where I watched an unarmed man fight off FIVE police officers at one time. Mace and batons were helpful but not effective, I know this because I became responsible for his medical treatment afterwards. It eventually took a sixth officer to subdue him (more on that below).

2) Bad people do not behave like you and I do. They do not react in a way that either of us can comprehend. They do not have the same thought process or emotional responses that we have. Going with the same example above. The reason behind the scuffle? He tried to take close up videos and pictures of a kid that got hit by a car and was lying unresponsive in a gutter of the road, drowning in a puddle from the rain.

3) While In the station talking to and treating this guy I realized how much bad people do not have respect for law, morals, or faith. he was in his 30s and had just come out of the local college bar. His pockets were filled with condoms, weed, and cigarettes. He ignored officers, talked back and insulted them. He did understand one language, violence and at least the threat of violence.

4) No one is more selfless than those who protect and serve our communities. When I first arrived on scene to the accident there was one officer (who ironically also happened to be the most jacked guy on the force) holding this kid's head above the water so he didn't drown. He was 20 feet from the fight, watching the whole situation unfold. Yet he knelt there holding this kids head while his fellow brothers and sisters tangled with the other guy. The very second I took over for him, he dived into the fray.

How many of those peacefully protesting do you think would rush in the face of danger to help save you or your family. I'm inclined to believe that if you're in a life threatening situation many of them would rather do something other than try to save you.

Pulling out [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] YOUR camera (and wallet, watch, etc.) would probably be their first reaction

Fixed that last line for you. :)

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    Honestly I have no doubt that this guy (and possibly people in the crowd) would have been all over the kid's stuff like jackals.

I often ask myself what is wrong with society that would produce such behavior that I saw that night.

Honestly part of me is afraid of finding out.

Top Bottom