• ...and so much more!
  • Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    Hey all,

I have almost finished decking out my Romanian SAR 1 and I'm in love except....
    I'd like to have an AK with the same quality and performance, but with a 10.5 inch barrel. I've never owned a SBR (shot many) and don't know the procedure for getting the permit/tax stamp. Also what is a good maker of SBR AK's? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Links or otherwise. Thanks.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Can't help you find one, but I'll give you a run-down of the procedures.

First, it's not a permit, it's a one time tax payment of $200 that you pay to have the SBR transfered to you, for which you get a stamp as proof of payment.

If you are going to buy an already-made SBR, you need to find a "class 3" dealer to order it for you or accept the transfer. There are quite a few here who are site supporters/sponsors, you shouldn't have trouble finding someone local to you.

Whoever you order your SBR from completes a Form 3 to transfer it to your dealer. This requires ATF approval and takes about 2-8 weeks.

Once the SBR gets to your dealer, you and he will fill out a Form 4 to get it transfered to you. The most common way is to have it transfered to you as an individual (other options are forming a trust or corporation). You would get 2 sets of fingerprints done by your local PD, have your chief or county sheriff sign off on the form and get two passport photos taken. You send all of this in with a check for $200.

ATF looks over your form 4 and provided you aren't a felon (if you can own regular firearms, you can own "class 3") they will approve it in 3-5 months. The form with an attached stamp gets sent back to your dealer, he calls you and you go pick up your new toy.

It's really not as bad as it sounds. Once you've done it once, it won't seem like a big deal at all the next time.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Obviously it depends on how much money you have or are willing to spend to make an awesome AK. If i could afford it and be able to find one, i'd buy an arsenal 107ur, get the stamp, then shorten it.
    images

Another option is buying a yugo m92 kit. You used to be able to find them in the lo 300's now they're around $800. You can use an underfolder or get a nodak spud side folder with a 107 stock.
    M92-Krinkov.jpg

images
    Personally i'd go with a poly folder but this is an option as well.

Your next and cheapest option is the draco pistol. All the work is done for you, you just have to add the stock after the paperwork clears.

images

Top Bottom