• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Lets get a list of the best 1911 in certain price groups and why?

$500 to 750

$750 to 1000

$1,000 to 1,500

$1,500 to 2,000

$2,000 plus

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Good link. I guess add a hundred on some of these guns. According to his posts, I came up with this conclusion on his favorites in his own words.

$500 to 750
    Ruger SR1911
    The next entry is one of the newest 1911s on the market at the time of this writing and Ruger's first entry into the 1911 world. The model is rightfully named the SR1911 and has taken the entry level market by surprise this year. It offers very good value for $650. Here we have full stainless construction, a nicely contoured beavertail grip safety, a beveled magwell, a good trigger, white dot combat sights, a steel mainspring housing, and beautiful double diamond wood grips with the Ruger emblem inlayed on each side. Roll markings are minimal, with "Ruger Made in USA" on the left side and simply the Ruger emblem stamped on the right. These markings coupled with the absence of front cocking serrations make the SR one of the nicest looking 1911s on the current market. Another feature of this gun that I like is actually something that was left out, a firing pin safety. I don't like any of them and this gun is true to original spec in that aspect. The SR1911 also uses a standard GI plug up front and a single sided thumb safety. All in all, we have a new 1911 selling for $650 with all the features you need and none that you don't in a very attractive package. Couple that with the fact that its built entirely in the United states by the largest gun manufacturer in the world and we have something that's almost too good to be true. Naturally, this gun performed flawlessly at the range with the limited number of rounds I have through it and all reviews that I have read have been overwhelmingly positive. I think Ruger may have the best entry level 1911 on the market, but they need to catch up to demand to somehow keep prices stable.

This 1911 uses no firing pin safety.

Unloaded weight: 38.8oz

Slide: Forged stainless steel

Frame: Cast stainless steel

Country of origin: United States

Approximate 2011 street price: $650

$750 to 1,000
    I didn't get a real good read on his favorite/preferred choice in this range. I'm guessing maybe we have some new entries in this price range too.

$1,000 to 1,500
    STI Trojan
    Next up is, by far, my favorite 1911 in this category, the STI Trojan. It’s got the smoothest controls, the best trigger, and, frankly, just the best build quality of any I’ve experienced at its price. The Trojan’s frame is cast and offers a very high grip, due to the cut out under the trigger guard. The front strap uses the popular chain link pattern for a secure grip. Though it works well for me, I do prefer checkering. The slide serrations are large and a bit unsightly, but very easy to grip. The trigger and mainspring housing are plastic, which is a downside to an otherwise excellent pistol. Mine has a few options, such as a hard chrome finish, an ambi safety, and a red fiber optic front sight. This 1911 is a pleasure to shoot at the range and does everything exceptionally well. The cocobolo grips with the logo are a nice touch. Keep in mind that the Trojan comes standard with thin grips, but mine has the ambi option, so standard thickness grips had to be used. Roll markings are large with the left side sporting a horse that looks to have been drawn by a preschooler. Fortunately, new production Trojans have this design omitted. If you want the best $1000 1911 on the market, look no further. I’ve been pushing this 1911 on potential buyers for years now and will continue to do so.

This 1911 uses no firing pin safety.

Unloaded weight: 38.8oz

Slide: Forged carbon steel

Frame: Cast carbon steel

Approximate 2011 street price: $1050

$1,500 to $2,000
    Kimber Super Match II
    The last entry before I get into the semi-custom guns is my personal favorite of the group, the Kimber Super Match II. This is Kimber's flagship model and the only 1911 it produces with an accuracy guarantee. That happens to be a 25 yard, 5-shot group measuring 1" or less. The frame and slide are both stainless steel, with the slide being finished in black KimPro II. This model features fine 30lpi checkering on the front strap, mainspring housing, and trigger guard bottom. An ambi safety, full-length guide rod, and magwell are all standard. The sights are simple black on black adjustable target. Roll markings are nicely done and the KimPro finish on the slide looks outstanding. I've taken some heat and criticism over the last couple years for my stanch support of this 1911, being it’s a $2000 that incorporates several MIM parts. True, you can get a better quality 1911 from Les Baer for the same price. However, this gun is so smooth, so accurate, and so nicely finished and appointed, that its apparent to me that its more than the sum of its parts. I shoot it more accurately than any of my 1911s in this price range and several of my 1911s costing more. That can't be taken lightly. Flame away, but I really love this Kimber. Its my favorite personal production 1911 available today.
    This 1911 utilizes the Swartz firing pin safety.

Unloaded weight: 40.6oz

Slide: Forged stainless steel

Frame: Forged stainless steel

Approximate 2011 street price: $2000

$2,000 plus
    He liked a bunch.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The link in post #2 is an absolutely fantastic resource.

The owner of the site, BAC, has an astonishing collection.

In reading his copious threads over on GT, it certainly seems to me that he spends more on firearms in a year than I have net salary. Seriously.

He has cheapest of the cheap 1911 pistols - up to full-on 100% custom guns approaching 5 digits and a multi-year wait.

HE carries a Kimber of some kind...

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The link in post #2 is an absolutely fantastic resource.

The owner of the site, BAC, has an astonishing collection.

In reading his copious threads over on GT, it certainly seems to me that he spends more on firearms in a year than I have net salary. Seriously.

He has cheapest of the cheap 1911 pistols - up to full-on 100% custom guns approaching 5 digits and a multi-year wait.

HE carries a Kimber of some kind...

-J-

I considered a Kimber very strongly, until I started reading reviews about them jamming. That ended my look at them. And I am MORE than pleased with my choice.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    500-750 I would agree on the ruger or a springfield
    750-1000 sig>kimber due to getting more for your money and less plastic cheap parts used. Only downside is that the upper is not total milspec like a kimber
    1000-1500 something between a higher end kimber and a colt
    1500+ who knows.

My knowledge is limited on 1911s for the time being but I know the 1000< choices pretty well and make very educated decisions (I think).

Top Bottom