• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Been looking around for a new 1911 and had it down to a springfield 1911a1 in stainless, or a s&w e series. Decieded to go with the springfield mostly because of it was cheaper. So went to a shop in Clarksville (not Orion Arms) where I had seen one last week, and called about on Wensday and got a price of 698 + tax. So went there today to get it and it still had the price tag of 698 on it. Looked at it and the guy behind the counter said they were changing price's and started to look it up. Too my surprise he told me the price was 848 + tax. Need less to say I went to a shop in Corydon and bought the smith for $20 less then what he wanted for a lesser gun. I guess he really down me a favor because I really wanted the S&W to start with. But I can say one thing for the first shop I went to I probably wont ever go back. Would have been different if it had not had a 698$ price tag on it.

Last edited:

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Changing a price on a gun in the case clearly marked just before someone buys it is sad. They knew the profit they wanted when they tagged it, they should have sold it at that price. Losing a future customer or a reputation is much worse than a few dollars profit on a single sale.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    That was cheap. I would have told him he can mark up the next one to whatever he wants. But the gun in my hand says $698.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sigh, gunshops are at it again!! I had one in Plainfield, no signs, no nothing, limit me to two boxes of 12 gauge (5 round boxes, I had 5 boxes on the counter). I put it all back, went to Walmart across the street and bought 6 boxes there for 3 cents cheaper. I am all for helping the local guy, but they jacked me around for about the past month and a half. I'm done.

On a related note: Springfield's regular models are pricing themselves out of my hands rapidly. They can keep their increasingly expensive MIM filled 1911. When a stainless Milspec is approaching series 70 new model, new in box Colt Government pricing, Gee... Which one am I going to buy?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sigh, gunshops are at it again!! I had one in Plainfield, no signs, no nothing, limit me to two boxes of 12 gauge (5 round boxes, I had 5 boxes on the counter). I put it all back, went to Walmart across the street and bought 6 boxes there for 3 cents cheaper. I am all for helping the local guy, but they jacked me around for about the past month and a half. I'm done.

On a related note: Springfield's regular models are pricing themselves out of my hands rapidly. They can keep their increasingly expensive MIM filled 1911. When a stainless Milspec is approaching series 70 new model, new in box Colt Government pricing, Gee... Which one am I going to buy?

I have purchased a few Springfield's this year and the pricing has been fairly level. No where near Colts prices.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have purchased a few Springfield's this year and the pricing has been fairly level. No where near Colts prices.

Yes and no. In my mind, when I am spending that much already, why not go for a few more forged parts, Colt brand name (better value if ever passed down to kids so they can hock it for booze money). But then again, I build most of my 1911s, so neener. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes and no. In my mind, when I am spending that much already, why not go for a few more forged parts, Colt brand name (better value if ever passed down to kids so they can hock it for booze money). But then again, I build most of my 1911s, so neener. :D

Good point.
    Not the kids/booze reference.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good point.
    Not the kids/booze reference.

Aw heck, man... I haven't drank in over a year now! (yeay!) But got to the point where I know my kids are going to have their problems and with society's toboggan ride, no clue where my kids will end up (despite my best attempts at educating them correctly in the ways of amorality :D ). I've given up trying to be PC or anti-PC. When someone tells me to go $*%$ myself when I tell them to write their representatives at a gunstore when they are panic buying, I just don't care anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Aw heck, man... I haven't drank in over a year now! (yeay!) But got to the point where I know my kids are going to have their problems and with society's toboggan ride, no clue where my kids will end up (despite my best attempts at educating them correctly in the ways of amorality :D ). I've given up trying to be PC or anti-PC. When someone tells me to go $*%$ myself when I tell them to write their representatives at a gunstore when they are panic buying, I just don't care anymore.

Gave up the hard stuff 10 years ago. Still have a beer or 5 on occasion. I went through the madness with my son. Society has generated so many holes for young folks to fall into. We almost lost him to the dark forces that exit in this world. Near gave up myself after loosing so many battles but we have won the war.
    It is hard to really care anymore when so many do not.

EDIT...when they tell you to go F$#@ yourself just tell them you have assault rifles and a small weeny....it will not reach.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    OP: My wife (the lawyer) says what they did is illegal. You would have proof that they enticed you in the store with that price and did a bait and switch.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    OP: My wife (the lawyer) says what they did is illegal. You would have proof that they enticed you in the store with that price and did a bait and switch.

But what proof would he really have to do anything about it? And as far as forcing them to sell at that price when he was there, why even bother? I would not do business with someone who did that, even if I could get them to execute the original deal/price. I would just tell them that I intended to tell 26,000 of my closest friends about their business practices and leave it at that.

OP, the name of the shop would be most appreciated.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    But what proof would he really have to do anything about it? And as far as forcing them to sell at that price when he was there, why even bother?.

She said they could only be sued for the difference but since OP is happy with another purchase, damages would likely be $0.

However, you should let the BBB know. Stores that trade $200 for customer goodwill won't be in business long.

Top Bottom