• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks for the heads up. Will be considering one for my AK. I have one question though. In one pic it shows the adjustment being on the side and another pic shows it being on top. On the GEN (7).

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think the gen 7 has been out for a while. Ive seen it on their website for the last 3 weeks or better.

the other 2 are definitely new.

So quick question, do the gen 6 and 8 on a riser co-witness on an AR? absolute? lower 1/3rd? etc thanks

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I also showed my Dad the optic for his AR. If you guys say it's good to go I trust your opinion.

I'll be the first to recommend the real-deal Aimpoint Micro on a serious-use gun. But, for your Dad's use and budget, I think he'll be very pleased with the PA knockoff.

Be sure to post pictures when he gets it together. :yesway:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll be the first to recommend the real-deal Aimpoint Micro on a serious-use gun. But, for your Dad's use and budget, I think he'll be very pleased with the PA knockoff.

Be sure to post pictures when he gets it together. :yesway:

Well, now he has decided to not go with optics. My Dad is always changing his mind :D. I will be getting one for my AK when I have the funds.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

What is considered serious use? I have a work-only AR and I have my non-work AR. I have been considering a PA for my non-work AR but just haven't purchased one yet. Is a PA site an ok choice for a paper-punching, home defense rifle? It won't be riding around in a police car or be used in combat.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What is considered serious use?

I differentiate "serious use" from "fun gun" by asking one question-- Is this gun's intended purpose to protect life?

Now I realize that any gun can be used in this fashion, but the point is whether or not that is the particular gun's intended purpose.

In your case Frank, your duty rifle obviously falls into the "serious use" category. If your personal gun currently fills a role as a self/home-defense gun, then I'd stick with the real-deal. If you just use it for plinking or range work, then the Primary Arms Micro is an excellent low-cost option.

It all comes down to the reliability of the optic. I trust that my Aimpoint will work when I need it. I don't have that same trust in the PA, therefore I only recommend it for a "fun gun". YMMV

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For me, my AK is my only high power rifle. So, it would be my main go to rifle. Then I may be better off using the Bushnell?

Opinions will vary. For me, I tend to categorize red dot sights like this: Serious Use - Aimpoint ; Fun gun - everything else.

When it comes to reliability, I put everything non-Aimpoint on the same level-- EOTech, Bushnell, Primary Arms, Tasco, whatever.

That's probably very presumptuous of me, because I'm sure some of those are better than others in terms of quality and reliability. However, if its my butt on the line, I'll take an Aimpoint.

U.S. Patriot-- If it were me, I wouldn't put anything non-Aimpoint on my go-to rifle. In your case, however, if budget is an issue, I'd still choose the PA, simply for the fact that its cheaper, smaller, and lighter.

Again, opinions will vary widely. I'm no RDS expert. This is simply the way I look at it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Opinions will vary. For me, I tend to categorize red dot sights like this: Serious Use - Aimpoint ; Fun gun - everything else.

When it comes to reliability, I put everything non-Aimpoint on the same level-- EOTech, Bushnell, Primary Arms, Tasco, whatever.

That's probably very presumptuous of me, because I'm sure some of those are better than others in terms of quality and reliability. However, if its my butt on the line, I'll take an Aimpoint.

U.S. Patriot-- If it were me, I wouldn't put anything non-Aimpoint on my go-to rifle. In your case, however, if budget is an issue, I'd still choose the PA, simply for the fact that its cheaper, smaller, and lighter.

Again, opinions will vary widely. I'm no RDS expert. This is simply the way I look at it.

Budget for me is a factor. If I had the money I would get a Trijicon. I really do not want to spend over $150 for the optics. The rail alone is $100.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'd be fine with a PA on my go-to-gun for a couple of reasons. First, My PA M4 red dot sight has been awesome, and it is dead-nuts accurate and holds zero. Secondly, the odds of SHTF aren't enough to always justify 4 to 500 dollars for me. Thirdly, that's what back-up iron sights are for on my AR.

Right now, my PA red dot is on my .22 AR, but I'm extremely impressed with it and may move it. I went with a used Bushnell Holosight on my go-to-gun, which is an M4 style AR. It has all the guts of an Eotech, but cost me only 120 bucks. The down side is that it doesn't have the armor protection hood. That's why I put the rear back-up Iron sight on the rear. If the Bushnell goes belly up, I'm good to go. The PA is easier to shoot accurately than the Holosight, as well.

I've not heard of many problems with the PA sights, but I've had first hand experience while hog hunting with a buddy that was having fits with his Eotech. I don't know much about Aimpoint, but if I had the money, that's probably the way I'd go.

just my 2c worth. In the end, its down to what you want to spend and the level of chance you will take that your life will depend on that rifle.

Btw, I have a Primary Arms Ultimate Weapon Light, as well, and the quality and performance is excellent, just like the M4. I'm betting their micro dot is pretty good, too.

Top Bottom