• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beau.brandt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Ok, I am reloading for the 300 Win Mag and the reloading manual I am using (Hodgdon online) says to use a magnum primer, but the powder I am using states to use a standard large rifle primer (I am using Hodgdon H1000). any experience or suggestions would be great.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I would use SLR primers. In my experiences, if the powder is designed for a loading certain things, i.e. Handgun loads, magnum loads, ect, listen to the powder, because I can almost guarantee they tried it with magnum primers as well. Typically, Magnum calibers do require the Magnum primers for the extra oomph. My guess is that H1000 very hot and would/could over pressure with Magnum Primers.

Disclaimer, I have never used H1000 but I know that it is a fairly slow burning powder, that is designed for the magnum loads and calibers. But I stick to what the powder says for primers in event of conflicts.

GL

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would use SLR primers. In my experiences, if the powder is designed for a loading certain things, i.e. Handgun loads, magnum loads, ect, listen to the powder, because I can almost guarantee they tried it with magnum primers as well. Typically, Magnum calibers do require the Magnum primers for the extra oomph. My guess is that H1000 very hot and would/could over pressure with Magnum Primers.

Disclaimer, I have never used H1000 but I know that it is a fairly slow burning powder, that is designed for the magnum loads and calibers. But I stick to what the powder says for primers in event of conflicts.

GL

i usto do the same thing but durring load development on a 7mm rem mag i was getting somthing like a hang fire on a old muzzleloader on my lower powder charges. once i got to the higher charges it acted fine or if i was shooting up hill on the lower charges it would work fine aswell. basically i didn't have a high enough fill rate to ignite the power unless it was sitting against the primer.

switched to mag primers and dever had trouble again

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    i usto do the same thing but durring load development on a 7mm rem mag i was getting somthing like a hang fire on a old muzzleloader on my lower powder charges. once i got to the higher charges it acted fine or if i was shooting up hill on the lower charges it would work fine aswell. basically i didn't have a high enough fill rate to ignite the power unless it was sitting against the primer.

switched to mag primers and dever had trouble again

And I have heard that from other people but I have honestly yet to run into that in a decade of reloads. However, the only Magnums I load have been the .357 and .44. I don't even use magnum primers for those, and I use Unique. I haven't ever used a Magnum primer. Anyhow, OP, I admit to having never using H1000, so perhaps in light of the others, you should disregard me, and use a Magnum primer.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I would contact Hodgdon and ask them. They will know how the powder will react to a magnum primer much more than we do. I'd stick to what the powder says... standard large rifle primer until you get confirmation from them and I'd rather have a weak bullet than a blast that puts myself and others at risk of injury. ;)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    There's nothing inherently wrong with either primer option. The ballisticians at one company used a regular primer and the other used a magnum primer. All this means is that pressure and velocity will be different with an equivalent charge. For H1000 i would definitely use a magnum primer unless your load density is at least 95% or higher.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Ok, I am reloading for the 300 Win Mag and the reloading manual I am using (Hodgdon online) says to use a magnum primer, but the powder I am using states to use a standard large rifle primer (I am using Hodgdon H1000). any experience or suggestions would be great.
    Use a 50 cal primer. I dont reload but I would say mag.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I have used h-1000 in 338rum and the nosler reloading guide calls for a mag.primer with all powders and i looked at the 300win.mag. and calls for mag. primer also.Magnums take more fire to light up all that powder.You can also call Sierra Bullets at 1-800-223-8799 and ask the technicians what ever about reloading,they are really helpful you will be talking to the ones who work up the loads for the manual. 8:00 to8:00 central

beau.brandt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    I called Hodgdon and they said that basically it was a misprint on the powder canister due to some sort of a mix-up on the Winchester primers that were used in the load development. They recommended to use a magnum primer for H1000 since it is so slow burning.
    Thanks for all the advice and help!

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    I'd go with the magnum like the manuals call for. They wouldn't call for magnum primers if regular primers would work.
    My 300 Win Mag I used mag primers and H1000.
    Ended up going with Reloader powders due to better groups at 200 yrds. Can't recall without going out into the shop and looking at my manuals what reloader I was using. I never got this B&C set up completely before I was off to another caliber to play with.

billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    160   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    gets kinda confusing with all the different data out there , i have found that within reason trial and error . read , research . and then find what works for you and your rifle

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Reloader 22 is a great powder. H4831SC is my favorite, and it meters very accurately in a powder measure due to it's small grain. (unlike regular H4831)

As for the primers, I use regular Large Rifle primers, but that's just a personal preference.

Top Bottom