• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I am new to reloading, and I bought new primers. I got cci magnum primers for 9mm, can I use those? If I can't they will be for sale here on ingo.

Thanks for your help.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    You can use them but you should download your powder charge and stay away from the top end and watch for pressure signs. It'll also depend on your gun, the magnum cups are thicker and some guns may not reliably detonate them.

Since your new to reloading, NO! Unless you know what pressure signs look like. Just get small pistol primers and learn the right way first. When you get more experience then get wild.
    Btw,shibumiseeker knows a lot more about reloading than I do. His advice would be for the more experienced reloader. Play it safe if your a beginner.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Since your new to reloading, NO! Unless you know what pressure signs look like. Just get small pistol primers and learn the right way first. When you get more experience then get wild.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ !!!!! EXPERIENCE, is the BEST teacher, do not GAMBLE, do not damage a firearm, or get hurt.... BE SAFE, NOT sorry !!!!!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since I have never seen a load in a reloading manual that uses small magnum primers in the 9mm, I would not venture into unknown territory.

Sure, you can back off with your powder charge, but how much? The 9mm is a relatively high pressure cartridge unlike, say, the 45 ACP.

Primers aren't that expensive. Use the right primer.

Depending on how many you have, I might be interested in a trade. I could use some magnum primers for my 357 ammo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Btw,shibumiseeker knows a lot more about reloading than I do. His advice would be for the more experienced reloader. Play it safe if your a beginner.

It really isn't that much of an issue, during the primer shortages a couple of years ago the masses discovered what many of us already knew, magnum primers work just fine in non magnum loads that have been downrated, and 9mm is a pretty forgiving round to deal with in using them.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    FWIW, there is more variation in primer charge and composition among the same class than there is between magnum and non-magnum. This is why charges in reloading manuals are primer specific and why ALL loads should be approached well below the maximum.

While this article isn't definitive on primers, it's got a lot of good information on the topic:
    Primer Info - Chart & Milspec Primers for Semi-Autos FAQ

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

this, some day yes you can use them but for the beginner lets keep it as simple as possible

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    I am definitely keeping it simple, I will be sending these to a new home soon.

That article was very good and I bookmarked it for a little closer reading. Thank you all

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    i will not try, mags have different cup size, and you will have problems primming and how knows, i had some blow backs traying to be smart donkey, you better stick to the rules until you get experience with loads, different powders and pressure.

Top Bottom