• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    One concern with the standard primers is the hardness. The AR is prone to slam fires and without a hard cup primer it can fire on its own when the bolt closes.
    I use CCI#41 which is a harder cupped primer, the Wolf primers are also known to be a harder cup.
    You may be fine but the recommendation is a harder primer.

Trickpony

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Out of State :(
    Agree with kwatters on the hard primer concept. I've used about every primer out there without concern but you will notice a nice indention in the primer with the softer primers such as the Rem 7 1/2's or Win SRP's.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Im using the CCI#41 for the AR. Im having a bit of a time finding reloading data online. It seems the #41 primer is unique, it is considered a magnum primer?

I am trying to come up with a load that uses Benchmark (for temp stability) under a 55gr fmj, using the #41 primer.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I use the #34's across the board for all of my LR centerfire loading. I reduce the max charge by one grain when developing loads, but more often than not, I can shoot up to max with no glaring pressure signs.

I only load one rifle that doesn't specify magnum or harder-cup primers - it's just easier to use the magnums where they're not needed.

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    Check out this link for primer thickness.
    Primers And Pressure

You will find the Rem. 7 1/2 has a thick cup. I would not use the Rem. 6 1/2 or CCI 400 in an AR-15 or any high pressure load even in a bolt gun. The CCI 41 was developed as a military from what I understand and have seen somewhere that the cup thickness for it is .025" as well, same as the Rem. 7 1/2. Hope this helps some.

PaPa260

hiram762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    New Castle
    I use Winchester small rifle primers. No problems here. I hear the Remington primers are fairly hot compared to some of the others. Do you think they are??

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the info PaPa, you are correct on the Remingtons being thicker and should work. This is a quote from the Speer reloading manual
    "A slam-fire is the discharging of a cartridge in a firearm by the closing of the bolt without a pull of the trigger. In most cases this is a phenomenon associated with military-style semi-automatic rifles and handloaded ammunition. The slam-fire can be caused by a high primer or by a heavy, unsprung firing pin. High primers contribute to slam-fires because the closing bolt drives the high primer cup against the anvil. All handloads must be checked for high primers; this caution is even more important when shooting military-style semi-auto rifles.

Slam-fires have been reported even when primers were properly seated. Many semi-auto service rifles have no firing pin spring and the firing pin itself is quite heavy. The inertia of the firing pin may cause it to snap forward as the bolt stops, firing the cartridge. If the bolt is not yet fully locked, the result can be a ruptured case with the potential for gun damage and injury to the shooter. Military primers are less sensitive than commercial primers to minimize this hazard.
    In 1994, CCI introduced the No. 34 [large rifle] and No. 41 [small rifle] primers for military semi-auto rifles... No. 34 primers are recommended for reloading 7.62mm NATO, 30-06 and 7.62x39 ammo for military semi-auto firearms.
    No. 34 and No. 41 primers feature mil-spec sensitivity to minimize slam-fires. They are both fully DOD-qualified primers for use in U.S. military ammunition. However, no primer can provide 100% protection against slam-fires if the loader doesn't seat the primers deeply enough, or the rifle has a headspace problem or an out-of-spec firing pin."

One thing this doesn't mention is the space between the cup and anvil on a #41 CCI is slightly farther, creating an extra margin for error.

Last edited:

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    They are hotter than the Rem. 6 1/2 or the CCI 400 in my experience. The Federal 200 is another mild thin cupped primer that is prone to piercing when the pressure gets higher. The WSR is a good small rifle primer, and in my experience milder than the Rem. 7 1/2. I have just had more consistent results with the Rem. 7 1/2. I use it in the 223, 6.5 X 47 Lapua, and the 6.5 Grendel. The CCI BR-4 is a close second. The Federal 205M is a distant 3rd, the WSR is 4th in my preference.

PaPa 260

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    kwatters, excellent post. I didn't know there was a difference in the anvil position on the CCI 41. I have been reloading for 41 years and didn't know that little piece of information. It is a good day when I learn something I didn't know. Thanks!

PaPa 260

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom