Primers installed backwards - is there a safe way to remove them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkc054054

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I am new to reloading so I am making the newbie mistakes. My latest mistake is that on the first two 223 REM brass cases I installed the primers backwards. Is there a safe way to remove them, can I use my Lee decapping/resizing die in my press to decap them?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I was informed the way a primer works is that the little piece in the center is called the anvil and that if its not pressed down into the primer by the seating procedure that primers are pretty hard to set off,

I have always just ran them through my decapper, Never had a problem, But your on your own,

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    I have a progressive and ocasionaly end up with primers in backwards. I usually have a decapping die in a single stage lee and just ease them back out.

jkc054054

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    I have a single stage Lee too. I thought it would be ok but I always say safety first and I did not want to rush into decapping the brass until I knew for sure I could do it safely.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Push out+Reuse..

I have a progressive and ocasionaly end up with primers in backwards. I usually have a decapping die in a single stage lee and just ease them back out.
    +1 Just push out-Slow+Steady..

I do the same as TOHM but rub a spot of oil into it 1st,just to be safer
    No need to do this. You can reuse the primer after removal..Bill

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Even though I do not feel removing a live primer is very dangerous, I definitely make sure all powders are put away and off the bench as well any other primers. No point in being sloppy and accepting greater risk.

RSW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Go slow. You can also dip it in water so you can make the primer inactive.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I too use a single stage press with a decapping die in it as a back up press.

Like others have said, go slow. Just for sakes of being safe I usually wear ear muffs even though I go slow

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Go slow. You can also dip it in water so you can make the primer inactive.

I wouldn't count on water or oil to deactivate a primer. I ran a little experiment a while back and nothing seemed to kill the little boogers. Water, oil, wd40... You name it.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Primers are set off by sudden impact as with a fast moving pin, they are not set off with slow constant pressure. Press them out using your press and sizing die and depriming rod/pin.

Furthermore water will possibler deactive a primer for a short time till they dry out. I dropped a tray in the cats water dish once, fished all the primers out and let them dry on the window sill in the sun for a few days, loaded them up and all went well, no misfires.

Final word, its a primer, not an atomic bomb, if depriming using a press and sizing dir and depriming rod/pin everything is enclosed and if perchance it would go off, which is next to impossible, the primer cup will only go down the slot in the ram that spent primers go down. In my press they go down and out the back, plenty safe.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I have also removed wrong way primers, especially when i first taught my buddy how to reload, heh. Like everyone says, SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLLLLYYYYY is the key.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have been making ammo for more than 40 years. Everybody gets a primer in upside down sometimes even the factory. Just push them out with your resizing die and reuse them.

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    Roger all of the above. I've removed several with my Rockchucker. I always wear safety goggles. I've never thought about wearing muffs. PS I tried last week using my off-brand Chinese hammer-type bullet remover for the first time. Two light taps and the handle broke off. I guess pay me now or pay me later applies.

Top Bottom