• ...and so much more!
  • 8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    I have had problems with early CCI.,Rem is the worst IMO. Fed all the way
    then Win. Never would try Wolf. Don't buy the cheapest primer. What are you shooting it in. Rev-stock,tricked out, Semi auto?

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I've been reloading since 1987 and I have never used any brand other than Winchester (small rifle) or CCI (SR, SP, LP). I've never had a failure from either brand. I just can't bring myself to try anything different when what I have are 100% reliable.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    depends on what you're using them for. Remington 1 1/2 primers are pretty soft, making them well suited to a tricked out target gun with reduced power striker or hammer springs. But that makes them flow way too much if you're loading hot 40, 357 Sig, 10mm etc. I bought a bunch because i got a deal and found out through experience they're just not well suited for those cartridges.

I like CCI primers. They hold up well to hot 10mm, 45 Super and some of the other hotter cartridges I've loaded. Takes alot to get them to flow or flatten. You also have to take that into account when working up a load, since you may be well over max and those CCI primers might not show those early pressure signs like a softer primer would.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've used Win, CCI, Wolf in SP. Win. CCI LR SR without any issues
    I bought 10,000 SR military pulled primers at Knob Creek. 99% of them go boom every time in my Savage 10 FP and my AR.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I've been reloading for about 15 years. I've used CCI, Winchester, and Federal primers during that time. I've only had one primer fail to fire and it sure looked like it had been killed by a penetrating oil to me once I disassembled the round. It was from a box I either gave or sold to my step Dad so it was not in my possession for a period of time. He gave the round back to me when it didn't fire. It was a Winchester small pistol primer FWIW.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've only used Win and CCI, whichever is cheaper at the time. I know both brands will go boom every time so I stick with them. I've actually tried to not get them to go off by soaking them over night in water, they still popped with no hesitation.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Except for the primers that were manufactured in the 1990's that were designed to go "dead" by the government after 20 years in storage, all of the primers I have ever used have worked just fine.

Somehow, I don't thnk anybody intentionally builds a bad product, unless they are forced to, like what happened in the 1990"s. When the government forced them to make primers that would go dead after 20 years in storage.

;)

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I got some WOLF LP primers in a WTS package with some dies, brass, bullets and the like. I am much better at Tap Rack Bang drills now.

Is WTS mean a Want to Sell add? That sucks. Maybe they stored them in a cave :) though not too funny to you.

I've shot 15,000 without a problem and have never read anything bad about them. I've just started into my Tula (same as Wolf) primers with no complaints. I read about some problems with the Small Pistol primers when they changed cups.

For $15/1000, you ought to think about giving them another try.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mostly CCI and WInchester here, with Federals and Remington when that is all I can get. Over the last 35 years, I have had a couple failures to fire with every brand. That is not a very big amount when I shoot a sleeve of shotgun primers, better than a sleeve of pistol primers and half a sleeve of rifle primers most years. I only tried one brand of foreign primers, cheddites, in the shotshells and they had size tolerance differences that cause fitting/sealing problems in my Remington hulls. I try to stick with products from the land of the red, white and blue whenever I can.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    ... I try to stick with products from the land of the red, white and blue whenever I can.

But Wolf are from from the land of the red, white and blue...

1z492qo.png
    1z492qo.jpg

jk :abused:

Last edited:

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I'll be using Tula (new wolf) primers from here on out. I only have stock guns and have had them all function fine for me thus far. I've actually been doing research on how to effectively "kill" primers. I would like to kill somewhere between 2 and 5 primers on every 100 I load. That way I get some malfunction practice in. It would be random when loaded and I will have to always be ready. From reading it sounds like water and penetration oils are not 100% on any brand. I'm thinking the only way to guarantee a dead primer is some dilute nitric acid...which I happen to have in large supply.

For the money I'll buy russian primers all day long. They are cheap, function well, and seat a bit tighter allowing me to feel them seat rather than expect them to seat. Just my experience. Others I load with will never use them because of either modified guns, superstition, or "that one that blew up once". Everyone has to make their own choices.

I've seen them for $20/1000 all day long but never for $15/1000.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Powder Valley has raised the price of Wolf to $15.50 since the last time I looked. The box holding 5000 is exactly the same as Tula and have read on the net they are made in the same plant.

I've been watching powder valley as a few of us are about to make a big order with them. They don't show any wolf small pistol primers in stock and nothing at 5000. The tulas are 20/1000 from what I see, perhaps I'm missing something?

I've also read that tula is the same as wolf. Tula is the armory making the product. Wolf was a marketing company which was essentially a subcontractor for tula to market their product to the US. Tula armory finally got big enough to fund their own marketing division and will not market under their own name. Tula primers / ammo will be the same stuff as wolf in different packaging. Should even be the same part numbers. Once wolf sells out of the market it will be replaced with tula packaging...at least that's the rumor I hear.

colt22man

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Winchester, Federal, CCI & Remington sp, lp, sr, lr. Really no problems with any. I have had several failure to fire, only to find the primer went into the primer cup upside down, DAAA. I only use federal sp in my revolver. Always looking for a bargain but always cautious and steer away from all but the noted big 4.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    I've been watching powder valley as a few of us are about to make a big order with them. They don't show any wolf small pistol primers in stock and nothing at 5000. The tulas are 20/1000 from what I see, perhaps I'm missing something?

Sorry, I thought we were talking about Large P P. Still...$20 is not bad.

I've also read that tula is the same as wolf. Tula is the armory making the product. Wolf was a marketing company which was essentially a subcontractor for tula to market their product to the US. Tula armory finally got big enough to fund their own marketing division and will not market under their own name. Tula primers / ammo will be the same stuff as wolf in different packaging. Should even be the same part numbers. Once wolf sells out of the market it will be replaced with tula packaging...at least that's the rumor I hear.

Interesting stuff. I wonder how these guys fit in? They look to be the actual manufacturer .

Murom Apparatus Producing plant

Their name name and logos are on the outer cartons (of 5000) of both Wolf and Tula...of course

2le5wjq.jpg

PM me if you can use another guy on your PV order.

Top Bottom