• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Long story short: a small group of friends decided since we have begun building 72hr Bug-Out Bags, we should test them with a camping trip. Prefer to do it somewhere that would allow small-game hunting (hence after Nov 5th rabbit season opener).

Anyone done this / know of somewhere likely to allow something of this sort?

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Hmm, didn't realize you weren't supposed to camp that way! I use every campout to make sure I'm familiar with my area, my gear, can find or make a "hasty" shelter, can prepare the food I bring and find/catch/kill whatever else I may need.

My $0.02... if you're wanting to really test out your "bug-out bags" for your situation, go somewhere local that you can get to if the situation arises. No point in traveling 2 (plus) hours to a place where you can hunt and fish if you physically can't get there in the case of a bug-out. Identify an area that you can get to, get to it, then find out how you can survive there with what mother nature provides...

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    This has got my wheels turning. I really never thought of practicing the whole survival thing. It really is a good idea. Now how does one convience the significant other to practice these skills? I am all about being premitive, and living off of mother nature, but my other half will not eat wild game to save her life. No fish, no deer, no rabbit, ect. Nothing.

This subject really has me thinking now. Maybe I'll try to talk her into just one day at home, for 24 hours on a weekend with no electricity. And see how that goes. I'm sure it will be like pulling teeth to get her to do it. She will just think it is stupid. That means no water, no stove, and no hair dryer. Lol.

If that works out, maybe she will understand that it is possible in the future, to be without and still have to live.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    This has got my wheels turning. I really never thought of practicing the whole survival thing. It really is a good idea. Now how does one convience the significant other to practice these skills? I am all about being premitive, and living off of mother nature, but my other half will not eat wild game to save her life. No fish, no deer, no rabbit, ect. Nothing.

This subject really has me thinking now. Maybe I'll try to talk her into just one day at home, for 24 hours on a weekend with no electricity. And see how that goes. I'm sure it will be like pulling teeth to get her to do it. She will just think it is stupid. That means no water, no stove, and no hair dryer. Lol.

If that works out, maybe she will understand that it is possible in the future, to be without and still have to live.
    Tell her if she won't play along, you'll just replace her when the real thing happens.

...don't tell her the replacement will likely be a wild sheep.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Not opposed to traveling to Hoosier National, but closer would be better.

Anonym, no controlled test is "pointless". Yes, I agree closer would be better but AFAIK, there isn't anywhere by me. Of course that's why I'm asking because anywhere that allows this is something I know about.

Anyone else have a recommendation? Free - Pay per weekend, I'm just looking for options.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Go by yourself and learn the skills you need. If something happens hunger is the best spice, she will push you out of the way to eat a rabbit.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I am all about being premitive, and living off of mother nature, but my other half will not eat wild game to save her life. No fish, no deer, no rabbit, ect. Nothing.

Just get some rabbit meat, cook it while she's not home and tell her it's chicken. I don't think she would even notice.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Just get some rabbit meat, cook it while she's not home and tell her it's chicken. I don't think she would even notice.

Funny you say that, Slimplmbr and I once made some chilly and with beef, but after she ate it, we told her it was venison. Lol. She started gaging and was mad at us for well..... She is still mad at us for that. Lol. We told her that it was beef and she does not believe it. Oh well.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Funny you say that, Slimplmbr and I once made some chilly and with beef, but after she ate it, we told her it was venison. Lol. She started gaging and was mad at us for well..... She is still mad at us for that. Lol. We told her that it was beef and she does not believe it. Oh well.

Ahhh the fond memories of times past. Man that was fun, heck still fun to remind her about it. Thinkin maybe we should try something like that Sunday, Billy.

Top Bottom