Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Saw someone making lower receivers on m4carbine. It's only a matter of time until 3d printers prices drop. I use them to rapid prototype designs, and they do a great job in that front.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    as a guys who works with 3D printing and mockups. right now you are limited to pieces that can be made from plastics and or resins. So for now the barrels and other pieces that take high pressure impacts would still need to be made out of metal. but simple milling equipment can make smooth bore weapons.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    That's pretty cool. I saw a show on that recently, they were talking about one application being that they could put the printer on the space station, and if they ever needed a part or a tool right away, NASA could email them the file and they could just print it on the spot.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    as a guys who works with 3D printing and mockups. right now you are limited to pieces that can be made from plastics and or resins. So for now the barrels and other pieces that take high pressure impacts would still need to be made out of metal. but simple milling equipment can make smooth bore weapons.

this.

The materials used right now that I know of are too fragile to make receivers.

sonofagun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2011
    Bedford, IN
    this.

Should be able to make mold blanks, or whatever the industry calls them, and cast a part based on the 3D blank.

Also, technology will catch up. Possibly using high power lasers and metal powder used in metal injection molding.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    this.

This is not entirely true. If you play with whatever resin/plastic you can absolutely make "disposable" receivers. I know that you can get at least 200 rounds through a nice glass filled resin lower.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that's over-selling what those 3D printers can do, and under-selling what people can do in their own garage. :D

I mean, I don't see a difference in regulating the building of an improvised zip gun and using a 3D printer to make basically the same thing.

As noted above, maybe when the technology gets to the point of allowing metallic infusion and putting lands and grooves in barrels.... well... then maybe.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    This is not entirely true. If you play with whatever resin/plastic you can absolutely make "disposable" receivers. I know that you can get at least 200 rounds through a nice glass filled resin lower.

IMO, 200 rounds is too fragile. And that resin isn't cheap, you could probably buy a Kel-Tec SU-16 for less.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    3D printing using pulverized stainless steel has been around for a few years now. Down side is it requires a secondary sintering process to fuse the powder. The video of the wrench is deceptive, the wrench produced is different then the one scanned. Secondly the laser scanner couldn't measure all the clearances necessary to make a functional adjustable wrench. However still cool.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I saw a recent article where they were 3D printing with chocolate as the media. Move over chocolate Santa, come on chocolate 1911. :D

3D printing is one form of Additive Manufacturing (AM); another is Laser Sintering (LS). LS can buildup layer by layer metal alloys (from powder) and could make a near net shape gun (most parts). I would still want the barrel to made the old way by Subtractive Manufacturing.:bash:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I am unimpressed with 3D printing. Sure, it's nifty, but I can already buy a gun now from a store. However...

I saw a recent article where they were 3D printing with chocolate as the media. Move over chocolate Santa, come on chocolate 1911. :D

Now that's using your noggin! This is something I can't get from any gun store. Maybe I can make chocolate ammo? Ball ammo seems to be in order. None of that hollow point stuff, unless I can fill it with cream or something.

Da Bing

Top Bottom