• ...and so much more!
  • shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    Hey guys,

Does anyone know of any private companies that are "hiring" right now? I just got out of the Army and I've been wanting to get into the contracting for a long time.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have heard from a few that you really need to do your homework. For some when they say they will fly you home it is not to your home city but home country... After that you are on your own.

Getting shot at by US troops is very real, if I remember right more contractors are killed by Americans then the enemy. Have heard that getting air support is offer wishful thinking.

I know someone personally that was offerd a contract job as a rep for a major fighter jet manufacturer. I think it was 250k for a year long trip.... He has friends in said company who found out he was contacted about it and warned him that the 250k is before expenses and travel ect ect. After he did the math it was not worth going as a civilian with not nearly the protection that he gets when in uniform. He asked said company and they said it was true and demanded to know who told him.

Some companies are known for trying to hold onto bonus money so they can twist your arm into signing a outer contract...

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    I have heard from a few that you really need to do your homework. For some when they say they will fly you home it is not to your home city but home country... After that you are on your own.

Getting shot at by US troops is very real, if I remember right more contractors are killed by Americans then the enemy. Have heard that getting air support is offer wishful thinking.

I know someone personally that was offerd a contract job as a rep for a major fighter jet manufacturer. I think it was 250k for a year long trip.... He has friends in said company who found out he was contacted about it and warned him that the 250k is before ex

"Before ex?" From what I'm seeing on most websites, most jobs are in non-combat zones now... I mean, Iraq isn't Afghanistan anymore. I'd take my chances for the money. When it's my time to go, it's my time to go. Doesn't matter how good the medic is. No need to worry when I have no control over it. Lol

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    "Before ex?" From what I'm seeing on most websites, most jobs are in non-combat zones now... I mean, Iraq isn't Afghanistan anymore. I'd take my chances for the money. When it's my time to go, it's my time to go. Doesn't matter how good the medic is. No need to worry when I have no control over it. Lol

The guys I knew that were over that way Iraq was less pleasent... Regardless the big issues were things like they flying you home and they droping you off in JFK and saying your on your own. I looked into contract maintenance jobs out that way and in Asia. Was told you work crazy hours for some... Like 12 hour shifts 7 days a week minimum... Some you clock in and don't leave till they tell you... Locals k ow how much you make and when you make in a day what they make in a year that can causes problems.

The stuff I am talking about is outside of the shooting... Things like pay hours ect, just saying do your homework. A previous member on here was a 75 ranger and was a contractor and spoke many times about how often the contract companies try to hose you.

Now that I think about it one job I looked at was going to pay like 100 grand but after readin more fine print I found out that the pay was an estimate on what you can work but is not gaurenteed, I other words that much work may or may not be available after you show up.

Just saying do your homework.

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    The guys I knew that were over that way Iraq was less pleasent... Regardless the big issues were things like they flying you home and they droping you off in JFK and saying your on your own. I looked into contract maintenance jobs out that way and in Asia. Was told you work crazy hours for some... Like 12 hour shifts 7 days a week minimum... Some you clock in and don't leave till they tell you... Locals k ow how much you make and when you make in a day what they make in a year that can causes problems.

The stuff I am talking about is outside of the shooting... Things like pay hours ect, just saying do your homework. A previous member on here was a 75 ranger and was a contractor and spoke many times about how often the contract companies try to hose you.

Now that I think about it one job I looked at was going to pay like 100 grand but after readin more fine print I found out that the pay was an estimate on what you can work but is not gaurenteed, I other words that much work may or may not be available after you show up.

Just saying do your homework.

Haha, well, all of that sounds better than my deployment. I didn't make ****, they make an ass load. I risked getting killed every day. Lol, and the Fluor contractors we had were like that. The americans made a ton and the non-Americans made like $12,000 a year but they did all the work. It was ****ing bull**** to be honest. I'd still gladly take ANY contractor job in a heart beat.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Haha, well, all of that sounds better than my deployment. I didn't make ****, they make an ass load. I risked getting killed every day. Lol, and the Fluor contractors we had were like that. The americans made a ton and the non-Americans made like $12,000 a year but they did all the work. It was ****ing bull**** to be honest. I'd still gladly take ANY contractor job in a heart beat.

I knew a guy who worked in Taiwan for a bit. They were told not to tell the locals that they worked with what they made... Nice hotel and food, one day the locals were flipping out because they found out what the Americans made... They asked them who told and they said the black guy... There was only one black guy.... Contract was canceled a few days later.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Theres many forums on the Internet dedicated to this. You will get good info. Pick a company that has a strict selection process. I don't know what your MOS was but a lot of companies will never show you a weapon unless you were special operations. They realized too many of their employees were getting killed because they were just hiring any former military and even civilian police officers with no military background. But there are many jobs not just trigger pullers. You don't wanna get stuck in a combat zone rolling with a bunch of tards who shut down when the shtf. Getting shot by your own team would suck but it happens. A lot of companies from other countries hire foreigners who don't know their ass from their elbow because they can pay them less and dont care about the outcome as long as they meet their contract. and guess who might eventually work with them .. You.
    And for the record Iraq hasn't been as bad as Afghanistan for a long time.

Last edited:

shortkyle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Chesterton, IN
    And for the record Iraq hasn't been as bad as Afghanistan for a long time.

Ya, that was my point. I was in Afghanistan. My MOS was 13b, so TECHNICALLY I was field artillery. However, the only time I ever shot artillery was in AIT. We got picked up by our predecessors and that same night we went on a 12k foot patrol. Those crazy 10th Mountain cats took us up and over mountains, through rivers, everything. Six months went by and I realized they weren't all that crazy. Lol, climatization my friends, climatization.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    IMPD pays well and little risk of IED's. You still may get shot at. But you have a union, lawyers and a 1000 boys in blue to get your back when you return fire. Good luck and if you do get a nice contract, if possible have a lawyer go over the fine print.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I thought about working with these guys after I got out of the Marines.
    SOC-USA.com

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!
    You'd have to dig deep to find the good ones. The pay is going down guys. Did it for 3 years in Iraq, starting 30 Mar '04, with a couple of companies and I'm not even looking anymore as the cost vs risk isn't worth it anymore. Went "outside the wire" often. Maybe AFG is bad but Iraq was where the little bastids did a lot of "product development";)

Bob

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Have a friend that went the "PMC route". Said it was not as advertised. He is home from As-crack-istan on a break right now,...which he paid for himself to get here. Have two more friends who were both tier 1 operators that went back to work for other governmental agencies (pick one with three letters that does military type stuff). Made good money going the governmental route for a few years, got what they were promised and parleyed those jobs into civilian instructor jobs for various tier 1 military schools and training. Now they make good money, have good benefits and get to sleep in their own bed 90% of the time.

I have one other friend who parlayed his experience as a tier 1 operator into a job with a defense contractor who makes cool toys. He gets to play with those cool toys and demonstrate and train others on them. Not a bad way to spend the day in my opinion.

I would look into the governmental route more than the PMC route. I think there are way more positives and way more opportunities.

Dirty Steve

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just wait till the next war and the jobs will be booming again. Like mentioned above you must get a lawyer before you go. Don't want any life loose ends left incase you don't come back breathing or you get ****ed up bad. Good luck finding insurance too. Right now id have to agree with what Dirty Steve said.
    The United States will never fight on foreign soil again without the use of pmc's. the military have been torn apart in the last few years. The big stupid money is not out there for the average vet like it was in 03 and 04 especially.

Top Bottom