• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I'm looking at amrslist, gunbroker, and INGO:ingo: for an AR-15. I've found one on armslist that is a decent deal given the current market. But I have some questions to make sure everything that needs to be done is!

Do I have to register the rifle under my name after purchase from seller? It sounds like he's just selling unlike others that I've seen that require a FTF at a local gun store.

Is there a bill of sale form I can download for proof of purchase/transfer of owner?

Is there a way to insure the firearm is not "hot"? Last thing I want to purchase a firearm with an unwanted history.

I basically want to do this by the book so its not a waste of money and they confiscate the rifle because I didn't do something right. So let me know how to go about this, first time purchasing a firearm outside a gun store. :dunno:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I'm sure you will get plenty of advice and guys on here are normally pretty savvy. Personally I would recommend that you stay away from buying like you are stating unless you have some help. No offense intended but from your post count and questions, you are relatively new in the game. You need to get some education before you get out in the deep water. But my $.02: 1) Where and who would you register it to?? No such system or requirement that I'm aware of. 2) No bill of sale if required but you sure can do one if you like. Lots of sellers don't like to do as they want to stay under the govt radar/eyes. Not that anything illegal is going on, but if it's not required then why do it. 3) Don't really know how you can check to see if it's hot. If you call the police and ask, they will respond that they don't offer that service. 4. I think that if you are buying from outside the state of indiana, then you must have ffl involved.

Good luck. I would try and get a friend who is well versed to help me.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    You have a lot of open ended questions in your post. Each site you speak of can create a different set of purchasing circumstances. Is the seller a dealer or individual ? Is the seller in Indiana or out of state ? Makes a difference if the purchase is from a dealer or individual.

To answer your basic posted questions:

Do I have to register the rifle under my name after purchase from seller? Buying From another individual in the state of Indiana, NO you do not have to register it.

Is there a bill of sale form I can download for proof of purchase/transfer of owner? If you want a bill of sale (not required between individuals)all you have to do is have something hand written and signed by both parties.

Is there a way to insure the firearm is not "hot"? Only way I'm aware of would be to have a Law enforcement officer check the serial number thru the National crime data base, and this would only hold true if the gun was reported stolen and the serial number recorded.

Last edited:

Todes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I apologize, I was having trouble forming my questions. The seller would only be in Indiana, and in this specific case it is a private seller.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    You have a lot of open ended questions in your post. Each site you speak of can create a different set of purchasing circumstances. Is the seller a dealer or individual ? Is the seller in Indiana or out of state ? Makes a difference if the purchase is from a dealer or individual.

To answer your basic posted questions:

Do I have to register the rifle under my name after purchase from seller? Buying From another individual in the state of Indiana, NO you do not have to register it.

Is there a bill of sale form I can download for proof of purchase/transfer of owner? If you want a bill of sale (not required between individuals)all you have to do is have something hand written and signed by both parties.

Is there a way to insure the firearm is not "hot"? Only way I'm aware of would be to have a Law enforcement officer check the serial number thru the National crime data base, and this would only hold true if the gun was reported stolen and the serial number recorded.

Really curious if you actually had a LEO that would run a number for you???

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Really curious if you actually had a LEO that would run a number for you???

In my case, YES, I was a LEO for several years and have friends that are still in the department. I'm talking from a small town perspective here, very possible IMPD and the larger cities won't want to do it. Which is sad because you have an individual that wants to operate within the law and they can't get help to do so.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    i like to ask for a bill of sale when i buy from someone i dont know. if they ever said no i would have a pretty good idea that it might be hot or the person selling might be someone who shouldent have it anyway. if they say no problem or good idea im not worried about it.

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    I apologize, I was having trouble forming my questions. The seller would only be in Indiana, and in this specific case it is a private seller.

The easiest way if it eases your mind and the seller agrees, is to go to a FFL dealer, pay the transfer fee, $15.00-$30.00 depending on the dealer, and have the dealer transfer it for you. You can still do your own seller / buyer bill of sale. A law abiding seller should have no problem doing this if you request.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    If you want to get a serial number ran, just head down to Evansville and openly carry it. They will be more than happy to run that serial number for you. :laugh:

Top Bottom