• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I've been thinking about stores/malls etc. that post signs forbidding guns on their property.

They also, apparently, have the right to ask you to leave if you're carrying a gun and the police will enforce their wishes if called.

Contrast that with civil rights. A store can't put up a sign saying "no blacks allowed", and they can't ask someone to leave because of their race.

Private property owners are bound to respect civil rights, but apparently not 2A rights.

What I'm wondering is, why do you think this is an accepted legal reality?

Should private property rights be paramount? If not, then what's an acceptable reason to force accommodation?

I have my opinions of course, but I'd like to see what others think.

Discuss. :D

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    in my opinion for what it worth its simple your property rights trumps a cilvians 2a rights .....you have the right to have unarmed cilvians on your property if so posted and warned if thats what you want......i think they have been talking about this from the old west till now......

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget that the 1A rights disappear in stores, businesses, malls, etc. as well. Wear a shirt with the "wrong" kind of saying printed on it and see how long it takes to get asked to leave--or be told to, depending on how nice they feel like being.

Their store, their rules; they can set any (non-discriminatory) rules they want, and I can always take my $$ elsewhere if I don't like those rules.

Of course, just to rattle some cages... what they don't know won't hurt me, and CC means they won't know!! :D

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    in my opinion for what it worth its simple your property rights trumps a cilvians 2a rights .....you have the right to have unarmed cilvians on your property if so posted and warned if thats what you want......i think they have been talking about this from the old west till now......

What's the qualifier on "civilian" for? Do you think it should be ok for military personnel to trump an owners property rights?

EDIT: Rather than just ask that question, I should say that I am a strong proponent/advocate of private property rights.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    i do not ......but military does Hurricane Andrew ,Katrina, are example were a property owers can not ask or disarm military personal in emergency response,security on private property......i should know i was there in homestead after Andrew....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've been thinking about stores/malls etc. that post signs forbidding guns on their property.

They also, apparently, have the right to ask you to leave if you're carrying a gun and the police will enforce their wishes if called.

Contrast that with civil rights. A store can't put up a sign saying "no blacks allowed", and they can't ask someone to leave because of their race.

Private property owners are bound to respect civil rights, but apparently not 2A rights.

What I'm wondering is, why do you think this is an accepted legal reality?

Should private property rights be paramount? If not, then what's an acceptable reason to force accommodation?

I have my opinions of course, but I'd like to see what others think.

Discuss. :D

Yes. End of discussion.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    They should be able to deny service and let the bigots be bigots. But Big Brother and the crybabies decided a while back to pick favorites.

it doesnt have anything to do with bigotry, i hope you realize. if, and when, i start a no-pants club, you damn well better not wear pants.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    Bunnykid68 said:
    I think anyone should be allowed to discriminate against anyone else for any reason, 2nd amendment, race, religion, sex, etc.....

its private property. business or residential. they can deny service and access to whomever they like.

88GT said:
    They should be able to deny service and let the bigots be bigots. But Big Brother and the crybabies decided a while back to pick favorites.

For the most part that's why Nazi's are not very popular any more.

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    For the most part that's why Nazi's are not very popular any more.

You are really going to compare us to NAZIS? Are you friggin serious. We said nothing about rounding up people and killing them or denying them any of their own personal rights.

The only thing we are saying is basically if I do not like black people or chineese people I should have the right to deny them access to any property that I own. They could still visit any government owned property or property owned by anyone willing to let them on their own property.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Meanwhile, back to the topic.

It seems that society has accepted the fact, through existing law, that civil rights trump property rights, which trump 2A rights.

It doesn't seem consistent to me, and I'll agree with the others who say that if I privately own property, even a business, I should be able to restrict access to anyone for any reason.

Should the government really have the power to force associations on private citizens? They clearly do, but I don't think they should.

Top Bottom