• ...and so much more!
  • Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    Not really sure where to post this question so here seems like a decent option. Are there legal hoops you have to jump through in Indiana to privately purchase a handgun besides not being a prohibited possessor?
    Would I be able to privately purchase a handgun as a 20 year old with a Concealed Carry Permit?

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    Not really sure where to post this question so here seems like a decent option. Are there legal hoops you have to jump through in Indiana to privately purchase a handgun besides not being a prohibited possessor?
    Would I be able to privately purchase a handgun as a 20 year old with a Concealed Carry Permit?
    Legal to buy from individual but must be 21 for purchase at FFL. Unless there have been recent changes but I do not believe so. Others will be along soon to confirm or dispute.

Lucar186

Threat to Democracy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2024
    Auburn
    Legal to buy from individual but must be 21 for purchase at FFL. Unless there have been recent changes but I do not believe so. Others will be along soon to confirm or dispute.
    That was my impression but strangely USCCA doesn’t talk about private sales much so I wasn’t sure. Thank you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is correct. If its a spare/unused Glock that I have laying around and want to get rid of it, I could sell it to you. But I couldnt buy one knowing you needed one and then turn around and sell it to you. That would pretty much be a straw purchase.

And sellers do not have to positively confirm (via background checks, etc) that the buyer is NOT a prohibited possessor. You just have to not be aware that they are.

So I could sell to Jimmy up the street. Seems like a nice enough dude. No reason to believe he is not a proper person. And he told me he isnt prohibited.

But if my SiL came to my super bowl party and mentioned that her coworker Jimmy lives on my street, and that he told her that he served 10 years for felony assault but "has turned his life around". At that moment I now can no longer sell to him because I'm now aware of his status.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    This is correct. If its a s pare/unused Glock that I have laying around and want to get rid of it, I could sell it to you. But I couldnt buy one knowing you needed one and then turn around and sell it to you. That would pretty much be a straw purchase.

And sellers do not have to positively confirm (via background checks, etc) that the buyer is a prohibited possessor. You just have to not be aware that they are.

So I could sell to Jimmy up the street. Seems like a nice enough dude. No reason to believe he is not a proper person. And he told me he isnt prohibited.

But if my SiL came to my super bowl party and mentioned that her coworker Jimmy lives on my street, and that he told her that he served 10 years for felony assault but "has turned his life around". At that moment I now can no longer sell to him because I'm now aware of his status.
    Agree 100%

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    This is correct. If its a s pare/unused Glock that I have laying around and want to get rid of it, I could sell it to you. But I couldnt buy one knowing you needed one and then turn around and sell it to you. That would pretty much be a straw purchase.

And sellers do not have to positively confirm (via background checks, etc) that the buyer is a prohibited possessor. You just have to not be aware that they are.

You didn't tell us you were having a super bowl party. Oh and keep us posted about Jimmy, I hope he keeps his life turned around. Maybe one day Jimmy can get his records cleared and buy a gun legally. :stickpoke:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    You didn't tell us you were having a super bowl party. Oh and keep us posted about Jimmy, I hope he keeps his life turned around. Maybe one day Jimmy can get his records cleared and buy a gun legally. :stickpoke:
    Yeah, Jimmy was a good guy, but just got mixed up with the wrong crowd, we're all rootin' for you Jimmy!!!.....

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I know several people who have done this. It is legal to acquire a handgun privately at 20 via gift, sale, or home manufacture and carry it with a permit. I can't remember off the top of my head if permitless carry extends all the way down to 18.

It is not legal under federal law to purchase a handgun through a federally licensed dealer at 20. The distinction here is purchase, not possess or carry. Federal law does not prohibit 20 year olds from possessing a gun or carrying it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is correct. If its a spare/unused Glock that I have laying around and want to get rid of it, I could sell it to you. But I couldnt buy one knowing you needed one and then turn around and sell it to you. That would pretty much be a straw purchase.
    That's actually a close call depending upon what "knowing you needed one" means.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I know several people who have done this. It is legal to acquire a handgun privately at 20 via gift, sale, or home manufacture and carry it with a permit. I can't remember off the top of my head if permitless carry extends all the way down to 18.

It is not legal under federal law to purchase a handgun through a federally licensed dealer at 20. The distinction here is purchase, not possess or carry. Federal law does not prohibit 20 year olds from possessing a gun or carrying it.
    Believe at 18 they can be gifted or purchased thru private sale

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I wanna hear more about the spare Glock CM has laying around. How much? Is it listed in the classifieds, because this is the wrong thread to tell us about guns you have for sale.
    The old CM (mouse) would have had a 1911 laying around, never a Glock.

My apologies if I offended anybody, us old people get confused easily.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm too pretty for prison.
    maury-well.gif

Top Bottom