• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    Built a few ranges so far in different counties, never had as many issues as I'm having now. 200 and 800 yarders I'm still using.

Hendricks County, just outside of Brownsburg. Hear people shooting all the time (love it), and the conservation club is less than 5 miles up the road through Pittsboro.

I own 23 acres, and built my original pistol >100 yard rifle range near the edge of my NW property about 60 yards away from the line. Before I started I called ahead to the Sheriff's Dept to ask if there were any special guidelines for this county, only thing I got was the basic not over a road not towards people etc. Then had a Sheriff come out once construction was done and inspect the range just to have it in the books I've called, someone has been out etc. Using the range I've had two other Sheriffs come out on shots fired calls and one BPD officer who stayed for a whopping 30 secs lol. All of them thought it was the neatest thing.

Neighbor complained about the possibility of stray rounds hitting the trees on his property and considering I had about 15$ into the whole project as the whole thing was made of old decking boards and dirt that was laying in ugly piles in random places on my property I obliged and started on the other range.

This was the first one (without the dirt behind yet obviously)

20150118_150957_zpsvfoqefi3.jpg

So this spring I used some connections and rented a backhoe, then using Google Maps planned the possible trajectories of any stray rounds and their possible points of impact in the event I decided to shoot at a 45 angle above the new range. Planned my whole area taking into account my neighbors property lines (using the survey of the whole property I had done and purchased two months before). New neighbors came out while we were digging (which was a Thursday-Sat affair) and on the last day took it upon themselves to yell at me asking if I had any actual plans for building it or if I was "just winging it". Among all the excuses I heard (property values lowering, the deer, she had planned on using that corner of property for something, the children, MY children, etc etc.) I didn't engage and just said it wasn't done, this wasn't my first one I've built, any other complaints you may have let me know when I'm not on borrowed time. (contracted a friend to run the backhoe)

Two days later I get a visit while I'm at work from the Capt. of the Sheriff's Dept wanting to ask questions about the range. Talk to him on the phone, informed him I had 3 of his officers stop by with the old one and gave it passing glances, am informed they are under almost all new management and staffing so all he'd need to come look at it himself. Asks if I'd rather him see it before or after I'm done, told him it'd make more sense to show him before so I don't waste anymore of my time. Sounded like a nice guy, completely understand his position and obliged to meet with him sometime next week.

Obviously I don't have any finished photos of the thing, just a bunch of measurements and sketches, and the only other ammo I have are aerial photos on Google Maps of all the structures in the immediate and possible trajectory path (which are none). Any advice?

On a related note, the neighbors who complained put up two Private Property signs and moved a park bench on the corner of their property line, I think as if to say "See we are out here all the time, here is our bench"

The before. The shed on top of the hill is the absolute corner of the complaining neighbors property, and the line of fire is not directed in any situation towards his property. The hill grade is pretty steep, and I would guess from the bottom of the range to the top of the hill (which would be the corner of his property) there is a 35ft+ height difference.

20150326_171050_zps9twumbs8.jpg

During:

20150417_172245_zpsdb6yzxgh.jpg

Where I am now:

20150418_190345_zpsyxosmead.jpg

To give you an idea of where I'm coming from shooting wise, these are all angles of fire. There is nothing but open fields for another half mile past that over the hill.

Line%20of%20Fire_zps0rhivvf3.jpg

I don't have an easy way of explaining the design so here is a super cool sketch I made on a note pad. The shaded areas above are 30 degree angled bullet catches built into the hillside.

20150326_130052_zpsijjphv3u.jpg

It would look similar to this one, only the dirt on the back and sides would be flush or slightly above the top. Also imagine used touring car racing slicks along the whole top dirt line, as to show a clearly decipherable border between the regular dirt and what is obviously the range. Also I've found they help to keep the dirt from peaking and eroding as quickly on the top.

4bb77f86f18802bd24b69bbb1aeff6b8.jpg

Any additions you may have let me know. I have plenty of dirt and plan on using a ridiculous amount, and then adding a 12 foot high fence on the property line for the length that I touch the two complaints to deter them from harassing me or messing with the range when I'm away. Trail cameras are already up just in case. Out of ideas past that point, I've been extremely passive considering the other calls and complaints I've had so far.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Looking good, hope you get everything sorted out with the neighbors, to me it seems like they are being unreasonable. It's looks like you are taking every precaution to making your range safe.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Maybe see if the neighbors, the whole family, will come over and visit your family at the range site. You can then show them how careful you are being with your planning and construction methods. Also assure them that any users of the range will abide by a set of safety rules that you come up with and you can maybe even "negotiate" some rough shooting times. No matter how safe you make it and no matter how courteous you and other users will be, you're still gonna have a constant battle from them if they're not happy.

BTW, it looks awesome so far!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even living out beyond the city people can still be butt heads.
    Folks have been stirred up by the negative pictures the media paints of us as a group.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'd like to know, how did the neighbors find out what you were doing. Also why do they think they can just TRESPASS on your property anytime they want? They put up signs but trespassed themselves on yours.
    id ignore everyone. I wouldn't talk to the cops anymore, nor your neighbors. You've done everything safe and it's yoir land. Your not breaking any laws so no one has any cause to harass you. And that's what it's becoming in my opinion. I'd go shoot everytime they wanna go use their stupidly intentionaly bad placed picnic table. I'd shoot the loudest gun I had

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm just tired of these sheep thinking we are gonna end over backwards for them on our own property while exercising our natural rights well within the law. Cry me a river. I'd be polite at first but I'd be firm and let them know nothing is gonna be changing so if your trying to change my mind your wasting your time. And you don't need any other sheriff official visits. I'd invite them to shoot if they like.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Doesn't matter how big, how safe, or how far out in the country you are. The neighbors still complain.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I'd like to know, how did the neighbors find out what you were doing. Also why do they think they can just TRESPASS on your property anytime they want? They put up signs but trespassed themselves on yours.
    id ignore everyone. I wouldn't talk to the cops anymore, nor your neighbors. You've done everything safe and it's yoir land. Your not breaking any laws so no one has any cause to harass you. And that's what it's becoming in my opinion. I'd go shoot everytime they wanna go use their stupidly intentionaly bad placed picnic table. I'd shoot the loudest gun I had

I'd still try the honey vs vinegar route first myself. I'm certainly no expert on human nature but I'd bet a paycheck that once you take it to the defcon 5 level, and start flying your "F U, I'll do what I want flag", your neighbor will make her mission to hassle you each and every chance she gets. If you honestly try everything in your power to get her "on board", and she still hates your range, then by all means do what ya got ta do.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If the county has no ordinance in place that requires a backstop, there is no law that says you even have to have one. The law only says that you are responsible for any bullet that leaves your property and any damage/harm it causes to others or their property. The DNR would be my first choice for someone to call if I wanted to consult with an enforcement authority about a planned backstop since shooting incidents seem to be handled by them far more than they are by LEO's...at least in our area.

I think you have done way more than many would in planning your backstop and ensuring that it is a safe shooting area. I have to commend you for that.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Kameseri (et alia),

It looks like a fantastic job to me. I don't find it unreasonable for the neighbors to have an initial concern for safety. Safety is a tad bit higher in my rankings today than it was same time last year.

However, once you begin to show due diligence in practicing safe shooting they can go pound sand, in my opinion.

Regarding your sheriffs interaction I would be polite but ask up front SPECIFICALLY what state laws or local ordinances they are going to be going by when they "inspect" the range? If they can't name any, they would still be free with me to come out and look, as long as we both have the understanding that they may have ZERO authority to actually DO anything. Friendly, but firm.

I do have a question though. It looks like the targets will be attached to a piece of wood with dirt behind it. How long will the wood last if there is a fair amount of shooting? I mean, if you're shooting thousands of rounds at it a year they are going to wear down the wood and make big holes. How is the wood easily replaced? Or is this just a nonissue and I am making a mountain out of a molehill? I would also presume that pistol rounds would cause less damage than 8mm Mauser rounds?

Enjoy your range!

Regards,

Doug

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    I'm coming from living in the Suburbs all my life, but have family who have acreage and tried at first to be as nice and understanding as possible considering they were used to a different kind of neighnor.

But it evolved into me not being "neighborly" when I put my fence up, my gate, etc etc. I gave up on that section of my property border when I got texts complaining about bushes my fence was threatening. Seriously.

The biggest downside of trying to time my shooting around their schedule is them trying to tell me they are always outside (like they already have, I said I didn't remember seeing them when I was running drills at -20f this winter, they changed the subject)

Progress so far today, I dug out stumps inline to the range and took down the old range to make use of its dirt on my new one.

Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg

I do have a question though. It looks like the targets will be attached to a piece of wood with dirt behind it. How long will the wood last if there is a fair amount of shooting?

Railroad ties will be stacked along the back straight in two stacks, 10-12 foot high. Then to secure them in place and allow for backfill/bullet catch construction I am putting 16 foot treated poles in concrete against the ties, one in the middle of each stack and two on either side.

On the face of those poles will be a board screwed in place, to which I will mount my deking boards horizontally in front of the ties.

Paper gets hung on the boards, I just take out four screws and put a new board up. The ties will blend with the dirt, I'm just using them for volume and mass.

I'm front of the boards will also be three treated posts just dug into the ground, between which I will hang my steel targets on chains.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is unfortunately too often human nature to reflexively dislike change - of any kind. I think your experience with fencing speaks to this. In my own experience when I fenced part of my property I had a fresh survey, set the fenceline 18" inside my property line and made what small changes I could to accomodate my neighbors concerns, within reason. She still complained for a few years.

+1 on the honey over vinegar approach at first. Friends come and go, enemies accumulate.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Looks like a well thought out project. The only thing I can think of that you might add are some baffles near the firing line, that would stop any really bad shots that could go high over the backstop. The NRA has information on building ranges that you could use for both design ideas and as a resource to rebut any bogus claims about being a hazard to your neighbors.
    Good luck

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My comment was basicly directed towards the now. I think he has already used plenty of honey. The more you talk or show them the more ammo they will think they have to use against you and be specific. I believe in ZERO communication after the initial courtesan of letting them know, hey I'm gonna be doing some shooting down here so please keep your kids and pets off my property.

id also hang no trespass on signs and get a good fence put up so no one can accidently wonder into the line of fire. Also signs saying there's live fire going on. Cover your ass. That's all this world is about anymore.

Top Bottom