• ...and so much more!
  • ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I believe if you're 18, you can buy and sell in a private transaction. Can't buy handgun ammo though.

Handgun ammo is exactly the same as handguns. Only FFLs are restricted from selling to those under 21.

A few states have raised this age, but most, like Indiana, leave it at or match the Federal minimum age of 18.

For individuals who are not Federal Licensees, the following apply:

Federal Code: 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

(x)
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile—
    (A) a handgun; or
    (B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.
    (5) For purposes of this subsection, the term “juvenile” means a person who is less than 18 years of age.

Indiana Code: Indiana Code 35-47-2

Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.

Last edited:

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    Yes you can sell to a Indiana resident 18 yrs or older, no problem. They can't carry until they're 21 though. go figure?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Handgun ammo is exactly the same as handguns. Only FFLs are restricted from selling those to under 21.

A few states have raised this age, but most, like Indiana, leave it at or match the Federal minimum age of 18.

Good to know, I thought the ammo was 21 regardless.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Handgun ammo is exactly the same as handguns. Only FFLs are restricted from selling to those under 21.

For individuals who are not Federal Licensees, the following apply:

Federal Code: 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

Indiana Code: Indiana Code 35-47-2

I'm curious how many cartridges would fall under the "only suitable for use in a handgun" clause. 7.62 Nagant? I'm sure there's a VERY few, but almost everything in a handgun is chambered in a long gun as well now.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I thought U could only get an LCTH for hunting, if you re under 21.:ar15:

Nope. The code is very clear on this matter:

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure

...(g) A license to carry a handgun shall not be issued to any person who: