• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I have a question about private firearms sale. I'm selling my Remington 870 to my friend. I know Indiana says I don're need background checks or anything like that. I guess the real question is if I sell it to him and he does something stupid with it, can it come back on me. I know when they do background checks they are supposed to destroy the paper work, but I don't trust them to do that.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    If you are talking about the 4473 form filled out by a FLF they are not destroyed...and are kept on file for several years

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    The real question here is, if you think it's possible for him to do something stupid with it, why in the world would you even think about selling it to him in the first place?

jamesg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Indiana
    True, but I would still do a bill of sale just in case. :twocents:

why, it won't make any difference, matter of fact, if something does happen, they may ask if you had doubts about the transaction and use the fact you went out of your way to over-document the transaction as proof

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    The real question here is, if you think it's possible for him to do something stupid with it, why in the world would you even think about selling it to him in the first place?

I am a very responsible gun owner, and would never even think about selling a gun to someone that I thought would use a gun for criminal intent. That being said mistakes do happen, and people get things stolen all the time. I just want to make sure that there isn't some obscure law or anything that would hold me liable

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    no laws specifically holding you liable.....people will tell you of old "wive's tales" of it coming back on someone else...but I think there are few if any credible,cited cases of this happening.....if you just want to be safe just fill out a usual bill of sale...but anytime you do this don't let anyone take any information about you, that you don't have of theirs.......ID theft

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    why, it won't make any difference, matter of fact, if something does happen, they may ask if you had doubts about the transaction and use the fact you went out of your way to over-document the transaction as proof

It was recommended to me by one of the guys at Indy Trading Post, although he added that it certainly wasn't a necessity. I sold my Harley to a guy and wrote up a bll of sale not becuase i thought he was going to do something illegal, but because i simply wanted proof of the sale. Again, it was just my :twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Take cash.

Give shotgun.

Shake hands. (optional)

Also, record of your original background check is not associated with the actual firearm you purchased at the time.
    That is what gets destroyed, not the dealers record of sale on the 4473.

Top Bottom