• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I'm just proposing the idea of sometimes attempting different methods to reach more ears.

we might reach some 'different ears' - but I doubt "more" - again - I get your point. But getting everyone into a suit (for guys) or the equivalent for women and having them show up for ___ time ... to hold signs ... I don't see it having the draw we need. ...
    now perhaps a sit down with one or a few politicians ... or a few reporters ... (that is planned not called and 10 minutes later you're on the road)
    Then you may dress the part - and you select your people - I've done that too. We met Face 2 Face w/ Joe Donnelly in his office is 2013.
    Others met with Coats and his staff.
    If we could arrange to sit and have a discussion like that with the media
    (like 30 - 40 minutes all aired or only clear edits instead of 3 lines out of an hour conversation).

Anyway - There were guys there in suites - and Tami Watson was dressed up for it, so were some other dressed up.
    Look at Dan's photos - share those photos.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    This is from Revere's Riders post today ... I wonder does it sound familiar to the complaints of appearances:

Although surprise has been lost, he has full confidence that his crack military units, the flower and pride of Great Britain, will easily overwhelm and defeat these "country people"; farmers, store clerks and mechanics, should they be foolish enough to resist.

I've said farmers, merchants, tradesmen, blacksmiths ...

Let it sink in.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'd be interested to see a pro-2A rally where everybody carried, were dressed smartly, nobody open carried, and all held signs that said "I'm armed." Not to knock the how 2A rallies typically look, but in most instances the people attending have a very rural/working class look. Well, who doesn't know that such people have guns? And these groups tend to protest wherever the seat of their govts are (urban places). People looking down from their office buildings see a lot of people from the "sticks" who they would (assumedly) believe they have nothing in common with. Sometime, if you flip the script a bit, you might catch some ears, and change some minds.

I'd rep you for this, but can't right now. Good post. Good thoughts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I get the idea that people think that the physical appearance of the attendees makes a difference. I get the idea that if everyone was in business casual, neatly groomed, and no visible firearms that some people would find the whole event more appealing.

The thing is, this is about freedom and individual liberty. I think recommending a dress code and carry mode is fine, but when people choose to disregard it, it's part and parcel of liberty. Being free means some of us will not always act in ways that others believe is in our best interest. I don't think anyone who believes in the cause should be discouraged in any way from attending rallies just because of how they present themselves. If our message isn't strong enough so that such things don't matter, then our message simply isn't strong enough.

In fact, I think it would be disingenuous to have everyone dressed and groomed in a way that is considered to be "presentable." For a lot of people, that's just not who they are and it's essentially a lie to try to convey that none of wear camo all the time and that none of us are sloppy and that none of us have unpopular opinions that are not directly related to firearms rights. We have common elements, but the group who supports RKBA is diverse in every other way. We have to own that and if you can't be proud of it, at least accept it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I get the idea that people think that the physical appearance of the attendees makes a difference. I get the idea that if everyone was in business casual, neatly groomed, and no visible firearms that some people would find the whole event more appealing.

The thing is, this is about freedom and individual liberty. I think recommending a dress code and carry mode is fine, but when people choose to disregard it, it's part and parcel of liberty. Being free means some of us will not always act in ways that others believe is in our best interest. I don't think anyone who believes in the cause should be discouraged in any way from attending rallies just because of how they present themselves. If our message isn't strong enough so that such things don't matter, then our message simply isn't strong enough.

In fact, I think it would be disingenuous to have everyone dressed and groomed in a way that is considered to be "presentable." For a lot of people, that's just not who they are and it's essentially a lie to try to convey that none of wear camo all the time and that none of us are sloppy and that none of us have unpopular opinions that are not directly related to firearms rights. We have common elements, but the group who supports RKBA is diverse in every other way. We have to own that and if you can't be proud of it, at least accept it.

I agree 100% You're spot on. :+1:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Bill, is are you able to share more about the nature of the threat discussed hear. If there is some sort of opsec or something, I understand, but I am curious as to where the threat came from and/or how it arrived.

Was it at the event? Was it some sort of electronic delivery? Was it a threat to the person or family. I am curious about the radical left operations. Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well , we never expected any issues with the rally supporters. We were on the watch for counter protesters and THAT was where any issues would arise. Our unit specializes in these types of event and kept a close eye on anyone that seemed to stick out. You will have a hard time finding my fellow officers that DON'T support this cause. We volunteered to work these because we actually LIKE the cause, even though we cannot take sides should we have to intervene. At our briefing, we were first told of the on-site private security team and we were a bit amused. That is a new concept with us at rallies/protests.

I think private security will become more common at any public event that might attract the attention of increasingly violent "counter protesters." In some locations that are not Indiana, the police are not going to help, especially if they're told to stand down.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Bill, is are you able to share more about the nature of the threat discussed hear. If there is some sort of opsec or something, I understand, but I am curious as to where the threat came from and/or how it arrived.

Was it at the event? Was it some sort of electronic delivery? Was it a threat to the person or family. I am curious about the radical left operations. Thanks!

I really do not know anything more than I've shared. Anything I'd add would be more speculative.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Me too. (not to be confused with #metoo)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Me too. (not to be confused with #metoo)

Tolerance, definition = as long as you are like me I can tolerate you.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm just proposing the idea of sometimes attempting different methods to reach more ears.

I think this is a very good idea! Not necessarily dictating dress code, but moreover drastically outnumbering camo and drop leg holsters with collared shirts and regular pants.

A slung AR over "go to town" clothing says a lot more than the perceived stereotypes it often accompanies.

Along the idea of different methods...

Good for the folks that done this rally, but I wonder if more thought could not have gone into the planning? An answer to the anti-gun kids protest with meager numbers compared to theirs? An attempt to intimidate the anti-gun children with our exposed weapons?

Perception means a lot, we should learn how to use it.

Wonder if separating our cause from the kids protest wouldn't have been a better idea? Give their protest time to be exposed for what it is and fizzle as opposed to giving it the credit of needing to "do something" about them?

We have a very very critical mid-term election coming up in the fall. Having this rally November 3rd, three days before election, could have a real effect on the direction of our country AND the 2nd Amendment. The accompanying public questioning of the candidates on their 2A stances prior to and in anticipation of an 11th hour pro 2A pre-election rally could be big.

Getting the NRA involved could also make a huge difference in communication/organization/planning and the numbers of those who will actually show. All of the major and local news media organizations would have no choice but to report on this...

:twocents:

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All the left does is organize. They have thousands on speed dial that will come out for whatever the bosses say. They bus them in the air lines gave free rides they were the same never Trump that came out foe the woman's march, why there may have even been some INGOers in that crowd.

We go to work and lead our lives.

The organizers did a great job for the time they had.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I think this is a very good idea! Not necessarily dictating dress code, but moreover drastically outnumbering camo and drop leg holsters with collared shirts and regular pants.

THERE WERE A DOZEN OR SO (in full camo drop legs etc ... - 1% to 3%? Most were dressed normally for a Saturday, downtown.

A slung AR over "go to town" clothing says a lot more than the perceived stereotypes it often accompanies.

(OK "go to town" or "Sunday Go to Meeting"?) - I had to hand mine off to step up to the steps.

Along the idea of different methods...

Good for the folks that done this rally, but I wonder if more thought could not have gone into the planning? An answer to the anti-gun kids protest with meager numbers compared to theirs? An attempt to intimidate the anti-gun children with our exposed weapons?

We put a lot of thought into it but only had btwn 2 to 3 weeks and no professional staff. unlike the "kids" rally that was funded, and aided by professionals of Everytown and Womens March.
    Each event by them was eligible for $5K ... we had our own empty pockets.
    I didn't see anyone intimidating;

I've shared some of the reasons for this - we needed a rally without theirs - even if just here in Indiana.
    Perception means a lot, we should learn how to use it.

Wonder if separating our cause from the kids protest wouldn't have been a better idea? Give their protest time to be exposed for what it is and fizzle as opposed to giving it the credit of needing to "do something" about them?

Their Protest isn't going away it is funded; and professional, run by professionals with 1 goal. Did you know within 2 weeks - because of the funding and their event getting noted on every newscast about D.Hogg throughout - they had 190K followers on FB? in 2 weeks? -
    I've seen pages and business take years and not get to that.

We have a very very critical mid-term election coming up in the fall. Having this rally November 3rd, three days before election, could have a real effect on the direction of our country AND the 2nd Amendment. The accompanying public questioning of the candidates on their 2A stances prior to and in anticipation of an 11th hour pro 2A pre-election rally could be big.

Getting the NRA involved could also make a huge difference in communication/organization/planning and the numbers of those who will actually show. All of the major and local news media organizations would have no choice but to report on this...

:twocents:

That's probably too late to change anyone's mind - but I do know more is being planned. and there is stuff we can do now.
    Like question PRIMARY candidates. and staying active with ALL the THINGS we have at our disposal to use.

This was one of the key messages. ... I'll have more follow up to share - for now ... I gotta go coach 7 yr old baseball.

Last edited:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Since, I am fairly direct, but not without compassion... It is time for all of us to get off of our fannies, and to wake up those under our influence to get off their fannies and get active and vocal. The republic is at steak.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since, I am fairly direct, but not without compassion... It is time for all of us to get off of our fannies, and to wake up those under our influence to get off their fannies and get active and vocal. The republic is at steak.

I'll have my republic medium please.

Top Bottom